Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2000 Journey

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing our first motorhome and we're looking into a 2000 Journey. Is there anything about this model that can be problematic? Any 'bugs' we should look for? I did a search on this forum and could not find much information.

Thanks for any input,

Brad
GingerNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I can't tell you about the powertrain, some of the owners will come along for that.

I did a quick search for that model and this came up: 2000 Winnebago Journey 36G Single Slide Diesel Pusher Phoenix and Tempe, Arizona | Desert Autoplex

All and all the Journey is a nice coach, well made, and were quite durable. I'd be happy to give the $59K for this one. 85K is not a lot of miles for the cat or cummins, whichever it has.

That said be prepared to spend some money upgrading things. In that amount of time, unless it just didn't get used, will have tired looking surfaces and older appliances. It is imperative that you test EVERY system in the coach to make sure everything works. Things like fridge cooling units, water heaters, furnaces, air conditioning, can be expensive to replace. A lot of folks like to install new floors, a new mattress, or funiture upholstery - this stuff can all add up. And exterior - if it hasn't been freshened or kept indoors it's likely to need paint restoration work.

Since it's your first coach I would take an experienced RV'r at a minimum, a professional inspector even better, it needs to be gone thru with a fine tooth comb. Deficiencies are negotiated on the price or you walk away.

Chassis maintenance and tires can be very expensive so you'll want to go over those records. Tires are normally replaced in 6-10 year increments and they're expensive, so you'll want to check the date codes on them.

Batteries can also be expensive - check the install dates for them and what kind of charging upgrades have been done.

So basically they are a good coach but at that age you want to really check it out - condition is everything.

There are some really nice gas coaches for that price range that would be newer. If you're going to live in it or 'part-time' then I think a DP is the way to go. The extra expenses are offset by the ride and comfort. If you're a camper, weekender, vacationer, there's a lot of merit and performance in a gas coach and they are a lot less expensive to buy and run. The higher end units are just as nicely built and laid out as the diesel ones. So again, if you're living in it you want a bigger coach.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2000 Journey 36ft and it serves our needs well. Can't help much with your decision but will answer any questions you have. Only problem we have had with ours was dash air, had to have the compressor replaced.

Don't know what price range you're looking at but previous posters 59K seems high.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

No bugs. HP on the engine is 275 w/ 600 lb-ft of torque. Transmission is a 4-speed limited to the lower torque of the engine. You cannot goose the engine up w/o potential damage to the transmission. Consult Allison and they will confirm.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
We have a 2000 Journey 36ft and it serves our needs well. Can't help much with your decision but will answer any questions you have. Only problem we have had with ours was dash air, had to have the compressor replaced.

Don't know what price range you're looking at but previous posters 59K seems high.

I was referrencing an ad listing for the same year. Why is 59K high? It's already sold. A new one is close to $300K, no?

For RV shoppers, one thing you want to consider is the development of slide-outs and floor plans just got better and better the newer you go. The old Journey has just one slide so the bedroom is not as roomy. The newest ones have slides on both sides which makes the floor plan really open up.

There are some really nice DP's with no slides that can be had dirt cheap. Nobody wants them because they don't have slides. They are still nice heavy duty units that will run forever though. <shrug>
Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Problems? Winnebago back then had a problem with the steel cab rusting out around the windshield. I bought one anyway (see my signature) and we really really like our MH. From reading here, repairing that rust damage is expensive.
The thing we like most about the single slide is accessibility, everything inside may be used with the slide retracted, the only thing lost is 2'X 16' of floor space. That is not so with most multiple slide RV's. We stop for lunch at a rest area, or overnight, and don't have to put out a slide to use anything
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
I was referrencing an ad listing for the same year. Why is 59K high? It's already sold. A new one is close to $300K, no?

For RV shoppers, one thing you want to consider is the development of slide-outs and floor plans just got better and better the newer you go. The old Journey has just one slide so the bedroom is not as roomy. The newest ones have slides on both sides which makes the floor plan really open up.

There are some really nice DP's with no slides that can be had dirt cheap. Nobody wants them because they don't have slides. They are still nice heavy duty units that will run forever though. <shrug>
If I could get $59K for mine I would trade in a heartbeat, last I checked NADA on mine was $35 to $39K. I only paid $45K for mine a few years back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Pulled the Trigger!

Thank all of you for your input! My wife and I purchased our 1st motorhome today. A 2000 Winnie Journey! Now we just have to equip it and start hitting the road!

Brad
Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Pics or it didn't happen.

LOL
Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2000 36R Journey that we love. I have had to do a lot to it, but that is all right, I do all the work. Best piece of advice, keep a really good fuel transfer pump on it. And install a low fuel pressure light on the unit. Those engines are prone to transfer (lift) pump failure which leads to injector pump failure. Very bad. I had to replace mine, did it myself, but not any fun. Keep really good fuel filters on it. And I would advice installing an additional pump in the tank line to ensure good fuel pressure. Bought ours with 29,000 miles, now have 90,000 on it. The one slide is good for us, enough room without more complexity. I installed a stage II banks kit, gives us 9 to 10 mpg pulling the Saturn Outlook at 65 mph. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.
johnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzuki View Post
I have a 2000 36R Journey that we love. I have had to do a lot to it, but that is all right, I do all the work. Best piece of advice, keep a really good fuel transfer pump on it. And install a low fuel pressure light on the unit. Those engines are prone to transfer (lift) pump failure which leads to injector pump failure. Very bad. I had to replace mine, did it myself, but not any fun. Keep really good fuel filters on it. And I would advice installing an additional pump in the tank line to ensure good fuel pressure. Bought ours with 29,000 miles, now have 90,000 on it. The one slide is good for us, enough room without more complexity. I installed a stage II banks kit, gives us 9 to 10 mpg pulling the Saturn Outlook at 65 mph. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.

John, I don't want to derail this thread, but would like information on the low fuel pressure sensor/light, and your tank-mounted fuel pump? I'd like to know your make/model number/sources for the parts, and also any pics. Could you PM me, so this thread stays on track? Also, if you started a thread of your own, about these mods, I am sure many would find it valuable.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

John, Bill, I would also like to see that information. I would much rather avoid a problem than fix one!

Tags
journey