Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2000 brave random wont turn over issue

Not sure what is up with my Brave. i took a 2000 mile trip last week and had absolutely no issues. Parked it right outside my front door to unload things. When I went to start it the next eve it wouldnt turn over. Everything was fine, lights, no codes, battery connections clean and batteries were all fully charged. I pulled the floor cover and tried to start it several times. Not even a click.. heard nada. I came back a few hours later and turned the key. Jumped to life rght away as usual. Turned it on and off a few times and moved it a few feet. Went to move it tonight and again, dead. Tried the key several times and nothing. Went inside to eat dinner, called a bud while sitting in the rv an hour later. While talking to him, turned the key about 5 times or more and then it turned over all of a sudden. Turned over for a few seconds but started up. I turned it off a bunch of times and it is fine. Now I am afraid there is an intermitant issue but not sure where to start. Could there be a relay that is crapping out? Could the park-nuetral switch fail? I am clueless as to where to begin. I am a parts replacer not a mechanic so I only know enough to be dangerous...Any path to take or advice would be great. I will try anything within my ablities. Worse case I can bring it to a local service shop. But with my luck it will start while there.Advice?Thanks,Goebs
Goebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Both starter relay and neutral safety are possibilities,also dead spot in the starter.But if your not hearing a click from the starter I think it 's not there.
When the problem was occouring did you try shifting the trans to neutral?
B-in-Law sold his W/horse 8.1 so I don't have access to his coach or wiring diagrams. If memory serves me correctly and you have the Allison 5spd. trans. there were issues with water entering the connections at the side of the trans, and I can't remember if it caused , shifting or starting problems. I'll make a few phone calls and get back to you.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I did not hear any click at all. nothing. I moved the trans from park to nuetral a bunch of times. Heard some hydraulic sound when I did that. After a bit it just popped to life again.

This eve I will try again. But still not sure where to look. If the nuetral safety is going, any idea where that might be located on the rv? I might just replace that if possible to eliminate it from the list..
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The beast fired right up last eve. I moved it around and it started again. My friend was up for a stint and he was thinking it was the nuetral safety as well. now i just need to locate the thing and see if I can replace it so I dont get stranded at a random spot while traveling with the crew!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Goebs, trans electrical connectors turned out to be cause of a shift problem. not start issue. I'll try to get info on , Neutral safety, and starter relay location, in the next few days , company at the moment .
Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the help! I am in no hurry as it is going to be sitting for a long stint now.
Any help is awesome!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goebs View Post
Thanks for the help! I am in no hurry as it is going to be sitting for a long stint now.
Any help is awesome!
ignition switches are known to fail intermittently. i carry a spare switch.
if your steering wheel tilts, a wire could be chaffed or worn badly also.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave