Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2022, 10:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

1999 Winnie Chieftain Catalytic Converter

Mine has been stolen, and I having having difficulty getting information about how and where to find a replacement part. Anyone have ideas?
Thanks very much.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Mine has been stolen, and I having having difficulty getting information about how and where to find a replacement part. Anyone have ideas?
Thanks very much.
Assuming you're not going the DIY route, a good catalytic converter replacement shop should be able to sort this out. They're going to want to see it first to confirm everything before they order a replacement. I'd let the shop do the ordering since they'll be able to take into account any nuances. Call around to a few shops and ask if they do motorhomes. Some don't due to space requirements. If you call one that doesn't, ask them if they know who does, that worked for me.

It's not essential but it might help if you identify your MH's chassis and its engine before talking to a shop. The info should be on the placard where the weights and tire pressures are noted. You also may have a decal on the front of your body that indicates the chassis or have a logo on your steering wheel. My 2002 Suncruiser has a Workhorse decal and a logo on the steering wheel. You could also just open your hood and look for an identifying name on an engine part.

According to the brochure, depending on your exact model, you could have a Ford, 6.8L V-10 chassis (standard) or a Chevy 7.4L Vortec V-8 (optional on all but the 33B and the Diesel), or, if you have a Diesel, a Cummins ISB5.9L Turbo Diesel. The catalytic converter would be what's specified for one of these engines. The fact that the engine is on a Winnebago MH should be immaterial.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #3
CO Sunova Owner

Catalytic Converter

I agree with BobC. After the installation, DIY or have someone put a CatClamp Converter Lock on your catalytic converter. I put it on myself. It costs $199 but will severely deter a thief from taking your new one. Look it up on Google. Attached is a picture of my install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4113.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	184672  
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a Ford Triton V-10

I am trying to find the least expensive way to do it. My insurance deductible is $1,000, and the best quotes I have are $1,200.

According to the shop, it takes a Magna Flow 55400, and Amazon sells it for $594.00. So about $600 labor. Does that sound right?

Thanks,

Rhonda
Old 11-21-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am assuming that wire meshes are the cat clamp?
Old 11-27-2022, 06:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by navnaz View Post
I agree with BobC. After the installation, DIY or have someone put a CatClamp Converter Lock on your catalytic converter. I put it on myself. It costs $199 but will severely deter a thief from taking your new one. Look it up on Google. Attached is a picture of my install.
That looks like a good product.

One note -- CatClamp does not give the diameter of the wire rope, but depending upon size, some cutters like these might snip through it quickly:

https://www.amazon.com/Felco-Cable-C...-3604019?psc=1

That said, I'd guess that not many cat thieves carry cable cutters, and the idea with most security systems is to make another target more attractive, which the CatClamp does.

I see the CatClamp runs from almost $200 to over $900. With that in mind, there might be other less expensive ways to deter thieves. Perhaps a steel plate covering it? Just a thought.

Side note: We carry a Suzuki DRZ-400 and in researching how to make it theft resistant I found that cable (wire rope) and ordinary case hardened chain (towing, logging) are relatively easy to cut. We ended up using through-hardened chain.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

One of my two converters were stolen, why just one is a puzzler. My problem is that my Workhorse chassis has several feet of exposed exhaust pipe in front of and, in back of the converter. Most of the security devices I've seen would be too short. Normally, the pipe headed to the rear would have been straight. Mine was modified to go up and over an "under vehicle" wheelchair lift (left hand side of photo). Without some other sort of protective device, the thieves would just cut out more pipe.

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
One of my two converters were stolen, why just one is a puzzler. My problem is that my Workhorse chassis has several feet of exposed exhaust pipe in front of and, in back of the converter. Most of the security devices I've seen would be too short. Normally, the pipe headed to the rear would have been straight. Mine was modified to go up and over an "under vehicle" wheelchair lift (left hand side of photo). Without some other sort of protective device, the thieves would just cut out more pipe.

I'm sorry to hear about the theft Bob.

Not that it's any consolation, just an observation -- the thief sure made clean cuts. I wonder what he used?

I know very little about welding, but I wonder if it would be possible to weld some of the through-hardened chain I mentioned above to the cat and attach it to the frame in a secure manner?

I've heard that welding on frames is generally not allowed, but what if (say) the chain could run up and over a frame rail or through a hole (if there is one large enough). Then both ends of the chain could be welded to the cat (if that's possible).

Just throwing an idea out there.

Tags
cat, converter