Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1999 itasca Black water in compartment

Hello yall. my name is ben. and this is my first class A. ive traveled in a couple as a child and helped my dad with the sewer line and stuff.

i have a 1999 itasca suncruiser 38 footer.

and there is signifant waste water leakage in the compartments.

i dont know where its coming from. how do i find the leak? anyone know if i can take the tanks out? how to inspect it?

thanks! ill post pictures later today.

rats chewed up alot of the hoses.
bensoloart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes, plumbing and leaks are frequent flyers here!

First thought is to find out FOR SURE that it is a waste tank leak as they are near impossible to pull and repair but they are also very close to bullet proof if we don't let them freeze,etc. But the pipes and onnections are more likely to be the problem. But before looking too hard for a grey or balck leak, it is always good to point out how bad plain old standing water can smell.

The water in the drain traps set for a long time and then if we drive and that water comes out, it can smell BAD!

First step for me is to test if it is old "fresh" water, grey water or black. You may have better info on that but do some thinking on alternate problems asno use to chase one to the death, only to find it is something else and be warned that water can be tricky!!

If it is a pretty consistent leak that comes out pretty quick, we can do more than if it is one of those that leaks out of a pipe and the water may stand on top of the tank and only run off when we move the RV.

Telling us more about what you are seeing/finding and when may lead to better ideas.

But if it is a drain leak, I want to find which for sure. Is it grey which can stink as bad as black or is it really black? One way to go is to drain both and add water to one or the other. Do it in a logical way so that when water does show up you can say which drain or stool, etc. makes it leak. Then when you do find water comming out, try to trace it back as far as you can see as that can eliminate some of the fittings and places which might leak.
Rodent damage can make it hard but most leaks are at connections, so let's pretend they have not done the dirty!

Some drawings of your RV are here:
Plumbing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...g37g_plumb.pdf

Parts with the water and sewage being down around page 75:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...99/99ig37g.pdf

Good luck, hope for easy?? Taking the tanks out? Very difficult to impossible as they are "always" on top of the frame, axles, etc. !
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

found out where the smell was coming from. the rats had chewed up the rubber cap for the black water tank and while i was driving the rv home the contents of the black tank from the previous owner was swishing around and would spill over in to the compartment. i had to tear out the shower to get here.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

to you happen to where i can get the service manual for this rv?
Old 07-07-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think we can get you to the owners manual with this chain of sites.

First to get the big page for Winnebago:
https://www.winnebago.com/

At top click owners and then at far left under the RV, click owner resources
to get a set of links to various good info for the RV!

That's the full path but to get there one can also just shortcut it here:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources

Lots of good info but how much time you want to spend may drive one a bit crazy!!
I like to use the parts catalog as a way to find out how thinga might look like they will come apart. But if you've got the shower out,it proves you knowhow to get there and
"get ur done!"
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, itasca