Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy 1999 Chieftain 36L furnace removal

How do I remove the furnace in my '99 Chieftain 36L. I have raised the panel for access. I have removed the cover over the furnace. I need to get to the board to replace it. I have a new board, limiter switch and air-flow switch to install but can't get to the board. Need some good advice besides taking it to a RV repair place?!
drbkeele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you have not done a bunch of looking that you don't mention. I might suggest looking at this post for a possible solution:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ce-247944.html
Down about item 12 is the real meat of the post! Common item to vex us if we are not aware of the bug and vent problem.
All frig and furnace vents should be covered!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My furnace does everything right . . . except when the thermostat is satisfied and the gas cuts off, the fan is supposed to continue for 90 seconds. It keeps on running and running. I have asked RV repairmen what it might be and they said in all probability the board. I can get to the limit switch and the air-flow switch, but not to the board. I am going to have to take the unit out, or at least the blower and motor to get to the board. I'm not sure how to do that. I have not explored all possibilities but thought if someone else had gone through removing the furnace, they might have some suggestions. I read the thread you mentioned. Thanks for the thought. Oh yes, the vent is covered and, while I have the cover off, I taped over the vents to keep out dirt dobbers and wasps.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

OK. I must be one of the happiest guys around--if ignorance is bliss. There is ONE screw holding the furnace in it's case. ONE gas line to disconnect after turning off the propane. ONE four terminal connector for the electricity and thermostat. I downloaded the service manual and read the installation instructions. ONE screw holds the furnace in its case. TWO screws hold the case in place. Remove the bug screen. Open the outside panel. Pull out the extension tubes. Remove the cover plate. Remove ONE screw, ONE gas connection, ONE terminal connector and ONE furnace. Thanks for anyone who works to help us less knowledgeable folks who work on our own rig.

Tags
ace, furnace, removal