Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

1998 Winnebago Adventure WFG33WQ

I'm looking to control the side to side sway on my 1998 33ft Winnebago Adventure.

I'm open to any suggestions so far I was thinking using airbags.

Does anyone know how to look up the truck frame the coach is made on. I do know its on a Ford Chassis but I don't know if its an F450 or any other.

Thanks Chris
98' Winnebago Adventure
HHR Toad.
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When I bought my 2001 Adventurer, the rear sway bar bushings were totally decomposed. I found a new polyurethane set on eBay and replaced them myself.
Made a BIG difference in the "sway" and overall handling.

Also, check your front bushings. Mine were OK.
I have also read on this forum where you can move the sway bar link up one hole to 'tighten' the bar. I didn't have to do this.

I have attached several photos of the old and new bushings. They pretty well explain the situation.

Below is a hyperlink to eBay where you can search for your Front and Rear bushings.
motor home bushings | eBay

I expect that you have a F-53 Chassis. If unsure, call Winnebago and have your VIN # available.
They can tell you what you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010088.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	43973   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010091.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	43974  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010082.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	43975  
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I just did mine on Saturday. It would have been about a 1/2 hr. job, except that one of the nuts on the driver side came loose when tightining it up and I had to remove, clean it up and reinstall it and back it up with a 21mm open end wrench. No big deal, just had to climb in and out a couple of more times. Of course the tail pipe is also in the way on that side. I have not driven her yet, I hope the ride is a bit better.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Just looked at the bushings and your right. There is nothing left of the bushings. However I don't see a sway bar on the front suspension.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

From what I've been reading, it is possible that your unit does not have a front sway bar.

You know what to look for, now, so I expect that you don't have one.
You can purchase a front sway bar complete, ready to install.
I'm thinking about $2-300.
There are forum members who have done this.
Check the search or enter another thread and you'll find several who have done this.
As I previously stated, my unit came with one so I didn't have to explore this area.

Fixing your rear bushings will be a big improvement.
Start from there.

Keep us informed.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi Chris,

1998 was kind of a transition year for the Ford F53 chassis motorhomes. Some were built on the earlier 460 powered chassis and a few late '98 coaches were built on the '99 V10 powered chassis (there was actually no 1998 F53 chassis built). There were a lot of changes and updates between the 2 and the sway bars and bushings were one of the changes.
If you have the 460, you will probably have better luck looking for 1997 F53 parts. If you have the V10, look for 1999 parts.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Nick, thanks for that information. I noticed on my information placard and it says it was manufactured in 1997 so I'm guessing (I also know) that I have the 460.

Winnie32v thanks for serving the USA and all the advice. For sure I will keep you informed. By the way i found the front sway bar, next time i'll look in the day light.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The plan is to do all the bushing that deal with both sway bars. With any luck I will have the parts by next weekend. I'll keep you posted with pictures.

Thanks again
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Ohsirr: I have a 98 winnie chieftain 33' (F53 chassis) that I bought in march of 2012. It only had 14k on it but rear sway bar bushings were gone. Replaced them with poly from guy on ebay. Took on trip but still had rolling & swaying. Installed Blue-Ox trac bar on rear and that help really alot. Bought it from vendor at RV rally for a really good price. But still some rolling so replaced front sway bar bushings with poly. And had more improvement but still had some rolling yet. So installed air bags under front springs with 25# of air and rides good now. Also - front wheel toe-in was reset at 1/4" toe-in. This improved the coach from searching from side to side when going down the road. I can actually take my eyes off the road now for more then 2 seconds. Your rear sway bar bushings should be 1 1/2". The front sway bar bushings on my are 1 5/8". Make sure you measure correctly before buying. Rear poly I got from ebay. Front ones I bought from Roadmaster. For the 460 engine - I installed exhaust headers on the engine and improved the power.
olfart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, winnebago