Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2023, 04:55 PM   #1
1995 Itasca Sunrise "Jed"

1995 p30 Itasca Sunrise Spindle/Knuckle

I am trying to replace the spindle on my 1995 Itasca Sunrise. I had my front driver's side bearing seize, and it bent the spindle.

I have tried junk yards, and I am not having luck or getting the runaround.

What about crossing a Chevy c3500 truck 1 ton spindle from the same era? I am looking at the parts online, and they look very close. I was thinking of ordering one and measuring everything out.

I have also looked at the G30, C1500. The C1500 and C3500's look the most similar

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
JedtheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

When I had a cracked spindle up near Portland Oregon, it was recommended I go to a school bus repair shop in Boring, near Gresham a suburb where I'd once lived. It was on a '94 Fleetwood Bounder, sister to yours.

And what they did was call a mobile 'spindle' tech who came and cut off the old spindle, machined a new one, and welded it on. (Took overnight). Seems as though these big rigs have the room for the weldment just in case of a broken spindle problem.

So where ever you are, google Bus repair shops and give them a call.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #3

I am looking at this dealer called Axle Doctors

Has anyone tried this cut off/reweld solution?

They were also talking about pressing the old pin out and pressing a new one in.

Ideas?

Feedback?

I have exhausted my search calling everywhere
Old 03-16-2023, 10:52 AM   #4

Solved!

Solved!!!! Found in a junkyard for $75! Anyone who calls Oemy's- he is retired now, but led me to multiple junk yards!!
Old 03-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Lucky you found one so quickly. And at such a great price. Wow.

I didn't have any place to work on mine as I didn't own a S&B house. Probably wouldn't have known the spindle was cracked, even if I could have taken off the wheels.

Didn't have the tools either. Unlikely I would have attempted the job. None of my relatives have a giant shop out in the country either.

Yeah, I considered all the options and just didn't have the tools, skill, or space to do that sort of work on a big rig. Coupled with the fact that RV parks really frown on attempting a repair job that big.

If I'd known a used spindle could have been picked up for a '93 Freightliner chassis for that cheap, I would have tried to find a way for sure. But it's doubtful considering.

But, all water under the bridge now. The entire job cost me over $3,800 since a Mexican speed bump cracked the spindle, ruined the bearings, caused an axle oil leak, which ruined the brake pads. All from hitting that speed bump at 55 MPH a couple months before. The ruined wheel bearing didn't start smoking until an hour from Boring Oregon though.

The spindle work I had done cost around $1800 just for that back in '07. The tech told me that he has spindle blanks at his shop that he machined to fit different chassis'.

Then I drove it until 2016 so I know it worked and worked well.

In all my years (20) of reading the big 3 RV forums, I only remember one cracked spindle job that was needed...mine.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:18 PM   #6

Hey Jim! Thanks for the response!

I am in a unique situation where my dad is a retired Snap-On, Mac, and Cornwell tool distributor. Every tool I could ever want and any knowledge I ever needed.....my 77-year-old Vietnam Vet dad is always there telling me what to do! I grew up learning from him on cars, motorcycles, and just about anything.

Dipping into the world of RVs has been an adventure for the past four years. I have learned a ton working on the inside and the outside. This forum helped me solve some major power issues on the inside with a faulty solenoid which was my first win!

I am also a moderator on DIY RV Maintenance and Repair on Facebook. I joined the site years ago, and they made me a moderator because I posted so much!

I learned a hard lesson about RV bearings! I am a third owner...and while I did grease the chassis and such, I now realized I should not have taken the previous owner's word and repacked the bearing. The original owner had meticulous notes, and the second owner let the poor RV sit for many years....which I know better than that on any grease!

I was worked in industrial sales independent rep for many years and I carried a line of Lubrication Engineers Grease and Hydrotex. I watched many of those brands versus Mobile 1 and Royal Purple. Amsoil and Schaeffer popped up a lot in these plants. With that, I should have known to check those bearings!

We had a front bearing seize on the interstate....and no warning at all--no whining....no shuttering....it was just a go! When I changed the tires, they did not tell me about any wobbling or such. That sucker seized; it bent the knuckle, and tore up the rotor, brake pads, etc.

When I raced/rode dirt bikes as a kid, we constantly worked on them. M
I bought new bearings on the driver side...I am doing the bearings on the other side. I am going to redo the brakes. I am getting a new driver's hub. I now have the knuckle. I am going ahead and doing the ball joints, too.

I am also going to check and either sweeten or change the differential in the back.

As far as finding the spindle/knuckle.....I researched, and made phone calls, and looked online....I maybe made the result sound easy....but it was hours and hours of research...... I read boards, I read GM cut sheets, I talked to people that work on P30s, I talked to junk yards, etc! I am a college professor and enjoy research.....so the journey was part of the experience!

On all these boards and such.....there's some great knowledge. This Winnebago board is one of my favorites because people take the time to talk about the problem and not make you feel stupid.

As we drive these older vehicles, we have to all help each other learn, work, and find parts!

Some people are like, "Why would you spend the time repairing an older RV?"

If everyone had the money for a new class A, I am sure we would be them. Most of us RV come and go as we have the money. I certainly do not have 200 grand for a new Winnebago!

I was fortunate to buy for $3000 a 27,000 mile RV in phenominal shape! Yes, there have been odds and ends....and some issues.....but what you do not see is the million trips we have taken to the beach, the mountains, all across the southeastern United States, CampGrounds, everything!

Also, the time I have spent with my dad is irreplaceable....At 45 years old I get to have a new project with my Dad and that is priceless......and the time we have both spent with my 16 year old son teaching him how to work on things. Also....my wife has been out there every step of the way and took over refinishing the interior!

Working on Jed has been the most amazing time for our family. I think people misunderstand the value of a RV---it is more than the trips. At some point......I will have to tell the story of how and why the first owner named him "Jed" and how we discovered the name origin within the old man's meticulous notes he left hidden in various places around the RV. I am sure they were not hidden to him...but I find little surprises and notes everywhere when I work on things of work he did, dates, what he used, where he bought it....everything!

These things....you can redo them inside and out to be as nice or nicer than new machines!

All RV's cost money. My in-laws have a brand new 32ft pull behind. They have put a ton of work into their brand new. Their slide out busted a few weeks ago and there were warranty issues.

If you do not want to work on your RV....then you are in the wrong hobby!

Dr. TJ Zito, Jr
Dr. Wendy Zito

but I love when this board calls me Jed....but Jed is the name of the camper!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	334020256_1143997776281956_2058564944641567734_n.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	185397   Click image for larger version

Name:	333721596_757821115716492_5680439702348919807_n.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	185398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	334899682_946704680081720_8217979145029658898_n.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	185399   Click image for larger version

Name:	334010773_592489152752367_5202917274026368668_n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	185400  

Old 03-16-2023, 01:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Looks to me that someone in the past used a hardened steel key instead of an actual shear key made for that spindle. Shear keys are supposed to be soft enough that they shear clean and whatever the wheel hit doesn't bite into and rip the shaft it's mounted in. At least that's how your spindle shaft looks to me. A non-expert.

My dad was a mechanic and I went into electronics so my limited knowledge of mechanics is 'have to do this because I can't afford a shop to do it'. Then I bought a giant RV after my dad passed and did have mechanic friends but I left town and traveled in my new to me RV. That was 19 years ago this coming July.

But I did much of the work on my first and now my 2nd RVs and had great fun doing so. The stuff I couldn't or didn't know how to handle I pay people to work on it for me.

Like my recent issue with the slide, it was bucking and leaping and I finally found that I'd bent a rod parking too near a tree and that was the cause. The slide itself was/is fine. But the awning tore so I had to sew that back together. FUN.

Anyway, given the age of your RV, you might check out my '94 Fleetwood DP repair info. Some of it will apply to your equipment as much of it is generic. Here, and it's ad free: RV Repair Section - 1994 Fleetwood Bounder

And thanks for the background. I always enjoy reading about how people ended up with their RV.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:08 PM   #8

Cool site! I am going to read up on the Onan there.

Last season, I replaced the carb on my Onan4000. I could not get an Onan Carb---so I made a "Frankencarb" using the original parts and a Chinese one I bought online.

The Gen runs strong. It will power everything from lights, fans, etc.

When I turn on the AC-it bogs down and cuts out. It will run the rooftop fan, just not the AC.

Is this the AC voltage? older Ac drawing more cranking amps? I bought a hard start capacitor....just have not put it on yet.

Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2023, 03:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm happy you found the spindle. I'm glad you are enjoying Jed. My first class A was very similar to Jed. It was a 1993 34 foot Winnebago Brave. We enjoyed it immensely. I think it had bigger basement storage with bigger doors.
Hopefully, Jed is now rolling freely and affording you lots of pleasure.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:00 PM   #10

These mid 90s models are terrific if you can find one in good shape. Retro is cool and everything circles back.

Also, not having a huge payment is cool. I like that I paid cash, I am doing the work, and we are taking tons of trips as a family.

I think people forget the purpose of a RV. I would love a $200,000 Class A at Camping World....but I also live in the land of reality!

Most people would not be comfortable with that payment----so boards like this are very important to keep the 80s and 90s machines rolling!
Old 03-21-2023, 10:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedtheCamper View Post
Cool site! I am going to read up on the Onan there.

Last season, I replaced the carb on my Onan4000. I could not get an Onan Carb---so I made a "Frankencarb" using the original parts and a Chinese one I bought online.

The Gen runs strong. It will power everything from lights, fans, etc.

When I turn on the AC-it bogs down and cuts out. It will run the rooftop fan, just not the AC.

Is this the AC voltage? older Ac drawing more cranking amps? I bought a hard start capacitor....just have not put it on yet.

Thoughts?
You might want to return the hard start for a Micro Air EasyStart. They cost more but they reduce the starting amps required as opposed to spiking the amps to get the A/C compressor going. Just a thought from a happy user with a 30amp RV.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #12

https://active-controlsllc.com/products

I was looking at Micro Air until I saw this product! It literally plugs in and I do not have to wire direct to AC

Old 03-30-2023, 08:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hi Jed.
Good to hear that you are on face book, some how I lost all my findings on face book ,so I will look to see some of your post. I live in Canada
Metis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca