Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

17 Journey 36M blower resistor

Thought I would leave some breadcrumbs as I found very little information on the web to help me. Dash blower motor would only work on medium and high. This is a new to me MoHo purchased in May 21. I knew that blower motor resistors fail and they normally are not that hard to replace.

I looked at the 3d Drawing on the Winnie site and it seemed like it would not be too hard to replace it. I removed the back of the dash (against the windshield) after removed all the vents. It was a little tricky with the adhesive near the glass but some gentle persuasion eventually did the trick. Also removed the hat over the gauges by removing the small Phillips screws towards the driver and then sliding it towards the driver. Then removed a dozen or so screws that held the forward part of the dash cover. And that was as far as I could get. That Dash cover would not budge. I looked at the clips you can see on the right side of it in the 3D, but I could not get them loose. I was afraid to break it.

So I tried going from the bottom. Removed the little drawer under the radio. Then tried to remove the radio, but it wasn't clear how to get the terminal blocks off the back. But working around it the plastic panel on the driver's side of the drawer comes off with 3 screws. The one on the right side is screwed in a number of directions and without removing the radio that seemed impossible. But then in front of that plastic panel is a steel panel with about 8-10 screws to the floor and wood supports for the drawer assembly. I was able to get that out. Then far in the distance through innumerable wires I could actually SEE the blower motor resistor. And what did I see? One of the spade connectors on the resistor was bent down and not in the connector!!. Son with longer arms was able to reach the connector, bend the spade back and replace the connector.

I now have all three speeds on the blower, and I would give dollars to doughnuts that this unit came this way from the factory. There are so many little things that need to go right for these things to work as intended. Quite a challenging weekend.

Anyway I hope this helps someone else. And if anyone has figured out how to remove the main dash cover on this model without breaking it, please let me know.

Alex
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for sharing your experience. Count your blessings I think you got off easy.
Every engineer has a different idea of how to make access difficult for us. I usually end up taking things apart the hard way before I can see a simpler way that it should have been done. Trial and error.
83Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey