Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

10 KW Genset on Tour 42QD

I have a couple of issues that someone may be able to shed some light.

1. On my 42QD, it is time to do an annual service on HDKCA Generator. My book is telling me to remove the top access panel of the genset to get to muffler to clean out the spark arrestor. Has anyone done this service and how did you get to bolts in the back of the top cover? Or, is there another way to access the spark arrestor plug. I know on all my previous ones, I got to it from under the genset.

2. I have for a few days been trying to trouble shoot the EC-30. All the settings are on default. When in auto start and when call for A/C, the genset starts and stops automatically. But, when the battery voltage gets to set point, the genset will only bump once and the EC-30 switches to manual. There is plenty of voltage to start the genset, I believe, because at that point I can start it manually. Once running, and I switch it back to auto, it will stop automatically. By the way, when it is in Quiet Mode, it starts and stops automatically as it shoud.

Would appreciate any input as to whether I am missing something in the setup.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Are you getting any error messages on the EC30 panel. Usually it displays why it shut down or failed to start
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Harry, no I am not getting any error messages on the panel, nor am I getting any codes (blinks) from the toggle switches. Thanks for asking, that should have been part of my original post.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I sounds like there maybe a problem with the EC30. Have you reseated the connector on the back of the EC30?

If that does not change anything, I have an extra EC30 panel you can try. If you are willing to pay shipping back and forth I'll be happy to ship it to you. That would determine if the panel is bad or if you have a wiring problem.

I bought it thinking I had a panel problem but it turned out to be a wiring problem. Different symptoms than you have though. There is not much expertise around to help with EC30 problems not at Cummins or the dealers.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #5

Make sure you check the belts on the back. If they fail, you'r in deep trouble. They don't have a belt on the exhaust fan anymore. It's a $330 direct drive upgrade. You don't want to be out on the road when they shred off.

Also. if you notice the 4 or 5 inch intake hole on the bottom, I suggest siliconing a piece of hardware cloth over it. Critters have a tendancy to crawl up in it and take and shred the flexible fiberglass intake hose and build a nest in the windings. What a mess.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Harry, that's a real generous offer and I thank you. We are getting on the road on Saturday morning and will out for a month. I, too, believe it is the EC-30. I have made arrangements with Mobile Service of Florida to check it for me on 10/12. They are an authorized Onan full service shop and, this service is a warrantable issue. By the way, their knee jerk is the EC-30 also, but can never be sure. I will post the results after the 12th.

Finally got the top cover off. If anyone owns one of these rigs, you will find that the genset does not slide out far enough (at least mine doesn't). There is a structural support over the top of the gen that makes it very difficult to get to the bolts on the back of the cover. I actually raised the front of the rig and slid under the extended genset on my back. Once in position I sat up between frame members and was able to get to the back bolts. If anyone does this, suggest you brace the extended gen with a piece of 2X6 to make sure the gen does not slid back on you. That thing is so heavy that any backward slope at all makes it want to slide back.

Perry, thanks for the tip. To be honest I did not give that any thought. I have the thing open now and will make sure that I do check that out.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK394 View Post

1. On my 42QD, it is time to do an annual service on HDKCA Generator. My book is telling me to remove the top access panel of the genset to get to muffler to clean out the spark arrestor. Has anyone done this service and how did you get to bolts in the back of the top cover? Or, is there another way to access the spark arrestor plug. I know on all my previous ones, I got to it from under the genset.

2. I have for a few days been trying to trouble shoot the EC-30. All the settings are on default. When in auto start and when call for A/C, the genset starts and stops automatically. But, when the battery voltage gets to set point, the genset will only bump once and the EC-30 switches to manual. There is plenty of voltage to start the genset, I believe, because at that point I can start it manually. Once running, and I switch it back to auto, it will stop automatically. By the way, when it is in Quiet Mode, it starts and stops automatically as it shoud.

Would appreciate any input as to whether I am missing something in the setup.
Is the EC-30 plugged into a non inverter outlet?If it is plugged into an inverter supplied outlet when the batteries run down it will try to start and then see voltage and think it is on shorepower and not start.

Tony G.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo136 View Post
Is the EC-30 plugged into a non inverter outlet?If it is plugged into an inverter supplied outlet when the batteries run down it will try to start and then see voltage and think it is on shorepower and not start.

Tony G.
Tony, thanks for the input. While I don't the answer to that now, I will let you know.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
When the EC-30 auto starts, it ignores the 120V feed until the demand is satisfied. Power for the auto start comes directly from the load center. If it was accidentally connected to the inverter, the generator would never start. Since it did start, that's not the problem. Once it's running, it doesn't matter if there is 120V available or not.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If the problem started recently and worked before, I assume that the EC-30 is installed properly. Lets see how good the service guys are these days on the EC-30 being it is warranty work.

The EC-30 will shut the generator off as soon as shore power is restored. There should be a relay which activates when shore power is active, which in turn supplies 12volts or grounds a line (depending which way it is wired) to the EC-30 to shut it down. It's not needed when you have shore power. Your converter will take over when shore power is available.

It also monitors the generator status, which is how it obtains the flashing error codes, run time, etc. and translates it into english on the EC-30 panel. If the problem came from the status line however it would post an error message on the EC-30 panel.

It will be interesting to find out what the problem is. I am not sure I have any ideas anymore what your problem might be caused by. I got extensive knowledge of this thing when mine would not work a couple of years ago and I was unable to find anyone who knew how it worked at the time. I guess that is what I got for being on the bleeding (leading) edge at the time.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Harry, to be honest, I don't know when the problem started. We don't dry camp that often and only noticed it about two weeks ago when dry camping. I know that I had tried it prior to that time and on several occasions when in auto and turn on AC: eveything worked fine. But, I never got the batteries to the low voltage set point before a couple of weeks ago. I was able to replicate the condition several times during the 4 days of dry camping. I will be sure to post the outcome after the 12th.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Back home from FLA. The folks at Mobile Service of Sarasota went through their trouble shooting routine and came up with a bad EC-30. Ordered a new one from ONAN and came in after two weeks wait. Installed and all is working as it should. It was covered under warranty.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Nice to hear it was an easy fix and that there are some knowledgeable techs on the EC-30 system these days.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK394 View Post

You should try this on my 2010 lol...it doesn't slide out.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote