Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

1 before then other ?

2017 Vista 35LX with a bath and a half. My question is when draining black tanks does it matter which one I drain 1st ? I'm hoping somebody with this unit can walk me through it. Just bought used a few months ago and have yet to take it on a trip.
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
Site Team

What does your Operator’s Manual say on the subject?

That’s always a good place to start.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The normal recommended is to drain the black first, then the grey as a way to flush the remaining parts of the black out of the hose and fittings better.
Thinking of the valves as a sliding portion which has to slide into a slot to close fully, doing the black second will tend to leave things like paper hung in that groove?

Then it is also nice to use fresh water that is available at many of the dump stations to clear as much of the remnants of the dumping out of the hose to avoid the much bigger smell left in a hose not flushed out.

So grey first, close that valve and then black second! Flush all as well as possible to reduce smell potential.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Site Team

Richard, I thought he was asking about the order to drain two separate black tanks, not black and gray. Some RVs with multiple toilets have multiple blank tanks. Our Adventurer doesn’t but perhaps the Vista does.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I just checked the Vista does have 2 - Black Holding Tanks.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I guess there might be some difference in some models of the LX but we don't know which model they have and I only looked at the 35B model.
On the 35 B there are two different sets of main drains to the outside, so one would need to draing one set of grey ,then black before moving to the second set of drains to the outside and I would repeat the grey first, then black.

But if they have the 35F model of vista Lx, then they do have a second black tank forward with a line going to the one main drain. On it I would go for draining one tank of black without concern on which first, then the second black and wind up doing the grey last as a flush. There is no second grey tank on that model.

My thinking is we want to get the heavy out first, let the light flush it what we can but also we should close the black drain before opening the grey to keep the grey water from having any chance of flushing black back up into the grey lines where it might leave solids to create more smell than necessary.

Probably somewhat paranoid but it just fits me better to keep the exposure to black as low as practical! The draing traps should keep the black residue smell out of the RV, but if we happen to store it and the drain traps dry out with black junk in the lines, I just don't like to go that way??

I want to get that black as far away as fast as possible! I never liked cleaning diapers, either!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35B.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	181706   Click image for larger version

Name:	35F.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	181707  

Old 01-14-2022, 12:49 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I always “test” the connections by draining a few gallons of gray water first, then shut the gray valve and drain the black completely. I back flush my black tank and when it runs clear, shut that valve off and finish emptying the gray tank.

That way, if there’s going to be a catastrophic failure in the connections you’ll catch it with gray water before the more unforgiving black water spills out..

I realize that doesn’t answer your initial question of which black tank to flush first.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Richard, I thought he was asking about the order to drain two separate black tanks, not black and gray. Some RVs with multiple toilets have multiple blank tanks. Our Adventurer doesn’t but perhaps the Vista does.
Correct, in have 2 black tanks, a bath and a half.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
Correct, in have 2 black tanks, a bath and a half.
Yes, both the 35B and the 35F both have the half bath and both have two black water tanks but how they handle the waste is different as in the drawings shown. The B model uses twin sets of both black and grey for the front and then black and grey for the rear and each set oftanks uses it's own drain.

On that model, I would see little difference if one wanted to drain the front set or back set first, just as long as I drain the black first and close that valve, then do the grey water as a flush, before moving to the other set and other drain.

But on the 35F model, they do not use a second grey tank and run all that water to one single tank before draining. On the black water they collect the front bath black in a tank and to drain it,one would need to open a valve there and turn on the pump which moves the black water waste to the same main drain as the seond tanks use.

To me, there is no difference in whether one drains the front black tank first or second, but I do favor doing the grey last. Thinking of how I might tend to work, I might go with doing the front black and getting that valve closed again, then moving to the other side and doing both the black and grey at that second location last.
No big thing, just less walking one side to the other to open/ close the valves.

The 35 F modelis a bit more complex to drain.

Depends on which Rv you have, so consider that factor but if I had the 35F model I might do it this way:

First attach the hose to the drain, open valve 1 since I'm there
Second move to the far side and open valve two and turn on the pump to let that black tank drain to the other side and out.
Three, close valve 2 and then go back to the drivers side and close valve 1..

That has the front black tank drained and reclosed, so I then drain the rear black tank by opening valve 3 and closing it when black has drained.

Then open valve 4 and let the grey tank drain. Close the valve and rinse the hose to be done.

But the first step is looking/thinking about which model you have!

If you want to take a better look at how your plumbing and other parts are laid out and where pipes run,this is a very good tool, once we get into how to turn and manage the views:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

The problem in being more specific is that there are actually four different builds of the 2017 Vista LX, so there are different things to consider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve numbers.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	181708  
Old 01-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Yes, both the 35B and the 35F both have the half bath and both have two black water tanks but how they handle the waste is different as in the drawings shown. The B model uses twin sets of both black and grey for the front and then black and grey for the rear and each set oftanks uses it's own drain.

On that model, I would see little difference if one wanted to drain the front set or back set first, just as long as I drain the black first and close that valve, then do the grey water as a flush, before moving to the other set and other drain.

But on the 35F model, they do not use a second grey tank and run all that water to one single tank before draining. On the black water they collect the front bath black in a tank and to drain it,one would need to open a valve there and turn on the pump which moves the black water waste to the same main drain as the seond tanks use.

To me, there is no difference in whether one drains the front black tank first or second, but I do favor doing the grey last. Thinking of how I might tend to work, I might go with doing the front black and getting that valve closed again, then moving to the other side and doing both the black and grey at that second location last.
No big thing, just less walking one side to the other to open/ close the valves.

The 35 F modelis a bit more complex to drain.

Depends on which Rv you have, so consider that factor but if I had the 35F model I might do it this way:

First attach the hose to the drain, open valve 1 since I'm there
Second move to the far side and open valve two and turn on the pump to let that black tank drain to the other side and out.
Three, close valve 2 and then go back to the drivers side and close valve 1..

That has the front black tank drained and reclosed, so I then drain the rear black tank by opening valve 3 and closing it when black has drained.

Then open valve 4 and let the grey tank drain. Close the valve and rinse the hose to be done.

But the first step is looking/thinking about which model you have!

If you want to take a better look at how your plumbing and other parts are laid out and where pipes run,this is a very good tool, once we get into how to turn and manage the views:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

The problem in being more specific is that there are actually four different builds of the 2017 Vista LX, so there are different things to consider.
I'd have to say Morich nailed it, after reading manuel that pretty much tells me thevsame thing, ill give it a try come w warmer weather. I have to say im getting some sewer smell as it sits over they past few months, my guess its there stillnsome waste that needs to be dumped even though the indicator s say empty, been there. Thanks to all for your input.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

A small point that is easy to fix may help. Since there is almost alwasy some small amount of waste left in the tanksonthe walls or top, I never figure Iwill get them smello freebut one thing I try to watch while stored is that I keep some water in the traps of sinks and shower as well as some on the top of the flap of the stool as those are designed tobe the seal for smells coming up.

Sometimes the worst smell in the RV is after storing but the fix is as simple as a cup of water in all the drains!
Old 01-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
A small point that is easy to fix may help. Since there is almost alwasy some small amount of waste left in the tanksonthe walls or top, I never figure Iwill get them smello freebut one thing I try to watch while stored is that I keep some water in the traps of sinks and shower as well as some on the top of the flap of the stool as those are designed tobe the seal for smells coming up.

Sometimes the worst smell in the RV is after storing but the fix is as simple as a cup of water in all the drains!
Yup. Just yesterday I went and bought 1 more gallon of antifreeze to do just that , Fill those Js up !! just in vase.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have the exact same Vista LX 35F, and it doesn't matter which black water tank you empty first, but as others have said, always follow up by draining the gray water.
HandyJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2016 Vista LX 35F and we always drain the half-bath tank first then close the valve, full bath black tank second then close the valve, the the grey tank last. Don’t know if that’s what it says in the manual, or if we just started with the half bath tank since it’s on the other side of the coach.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:17 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

We also have the 35F and love it. There is no set order to it, but I always drain the half bath first. Further, although probably unnecessary, after I drain it, I close the drain in the macerator compartment and use the tank wash to put a bit of clean water in the tank and then drain it again.

IMO, I would rather have fresh (somewhat) clean water in the small line between the pump and the main drain, than leave it filled with sewage until the next time it's dumped. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:33 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

A couple of other things I just thought of - Morich and Creative are both very helpful and you may want to hold onto all of the drawings from Morich - I do. You never can tell when you might need them.

Second, I've added to one of the drawings with pink arrows. They point to the rubber bushings (couplers) between the main black tank, the gray tank, and the manifold. I highly suggest you check the clamps for tightness and do so with some regularity - every six months?

You don't want to have my experience. I was preparing to dump my main tanks, both of which were about half full. The manifold fell off and with no way to stop the flow from 3 inch the tank openings, the show was impressive. I replaced the bushings, clamps, and installed a strap so it wouldn't happen again. Just an fyi.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2022, 06:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Liquid Only up Front!

One other thing I forgot to mention in my earlier reply: Do NOT use the 'drop-in' chemical toilet treatment in the forward half-bath. We did, but discovered the plastic (or whatever it is) wrappers do NOT dissolve as advertised. Rather, they got stuck around the cutter shaft of the macerator, eventually freezing the shaft in place. Happily I was able to disassemble the macerator, remove the plastic and it works fine once again, but it was a nasty job! The drop-ins are fine for the rear toilet, but it's forevermore only liquid toilet treatment up front for us.
HandyJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
What does your Operator’s Manual say on the subject?

That’s always a good place to start.
I did start there, but its always goodvto ask real live people that have done it!
Old 01-20-2022, 07:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
A couple of other things I just thought of - Morich and Creative are both very helpful and you may want to hold onto all of the drawings from Morich - I do. You never can tell when you might need them.

Second, I've added to one of the drawings with pink arrows. They point to the rubber bushings (couplers) between the main black tank, the gray tank, and the manifold. I highly suggest you check the clamps for tightness and do so with some regularity - every six months?

You don't want to have my experience. I was preparing to dump my main tanks, both of which were about half full. The manifold fell off and with no way to stop the flow from 3 inch the tank openings, the show was impressive. I replaced the bushings, clamps, and installed a strap so it wouldn't happen again. Just an fyi.
Thanks fir the info, i did find a loose clamp on 1/2 bath toilet, ill check the main area today... No shows!
Old 01-20-2022, 11:38 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

This works for our 2019 model. Mid bath is yellow water only (excepting "emergencies" when the bedroom slide is in), yellow TP goes in trash bag not toilet. Rear bath is black water and TP gets flushed unless it's yellow, yellow TP goes in trash bag same as mid-bath.

We dump black tank (rear bath) first followed by pumping out the mid-bath yellow tank, followed by the grey water tank.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote