Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

1.5-bath TOUR ... bath fan upgrade

The rear bath and powder-room bath on my rig have exhaust fans that move very little air. For the rear bath, I'm considering purchasing a standard-sized roof fan similar (or identical) to the factory-installed MaxxFan that is in the galley area.

Has anyone else done this? In particular, I'd like some assurance that the roof structure ("rafters", if you will) will accommodate such a larger-sized fan.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have not seen your coach (we have 2012 Tour) but here's my best guess.

In the Mechanical Code it's called "make-up" air. Yours should come from the bottom of the bathroom door. Our 1/2 bath has about slightly less than 2" to allow more air in which allows more air out. Same with main bath.

Simple test: use candle and try with door closed and door cracked open. Check air movement. Just remembered we have Maxxifan in both baths. Hmmm.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just emailed Winnebago with my VIN and requested schematics yesterday and received them back within a couple of hours. Every single stud location, etc. perfect for what you are looking to do.
Retired_Helo_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Our tour seems to run a fair amount of air through the bathroom fans. Is there anything blocking the air flow? Would be easy to spin the covers off of the top to see if there is any blockage.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all.

The current fans are working as designed. I am wanting a fan that really really moves some air!!....just like the galley roof fan does. Example: When I dry camp (not all that often, but it happens), I use 12-volt systems to their max to minimize generator running. In this regard, the galley roof fan pulls hot air out, bringing in fresh air through open windows. But the fan is noisy. By having a similar fan in the rear bath, I can have that fan on HIGH, but the noise is not heard in the living room & galley. The existing, factory-installed bath fans are not designed to "move" that many CFMs.

Retired Helo:
I'll request the schematics like you suggest....and see where this takes me.

Again... Thanks all.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
Thanks all.

The current fans are working as designed. I am wanting a fan that really really moves some air!!....just like the galley roof fan does. Example: When I dry camp (not all that often, but it happens), I use 12-volt systems to their max to minimize generator running. In this regard, the galley roof fan pulls hot air out, bringing in fresh air through open windows. But the fan is noisy. By having a similar fan in the rear bath, I can have that fan on HIGH, but the noise is not heard in the living room & galley. The existing, factory-installed bath fans are not designed to "move" that many CFMs.

Retired Helo:
I'll request the schematics like you suggest....and see where this takes me.

Again... Thanks all.
Yes this is true, not knowing exactly what fan you have in there. I would believe that it is a standard size opening (14x14) thus you could either install an upgrade fan that requires no climbing on top or complete replacement which will require climbing on top and resealing it.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have been looking at Fantastic Fans to replace the kitchen basic fan.

One of interest is a thermostatically controlled reversing variable speed with rain sensor model. Also has a remote. Price is reasonable.

It may be of interest to put something like that in the kitchen and move the kitchen fan to the bathroom. Have the kitchen fan blowing in and the bathroom fan blowing out.

We had a similar setup in our 5er with two reversing fantastic fans. Set the bedroom to draw and the living area to exhaust. Did not take long to cool the place off with both fans running. At night we would turn the fan off in the bedroom leaving the vent open. The thermostat in the living area would run until the temp got to the desired and then shut the fan off. It would cycle as necessary so nice and quiet in the bedroom (cool too).
Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have a Sightseer, so not sure if this is apples to apples to your coach but wanted to chime in.

Similar problem, bathroom fan converted power to a lot of noise, but didn't move a lot of air.

I went with a "Hengs 3-2 Vortex II". All inside install, mounts into the existing holes/frame, outside vent remains in place. Huge change, probably 1/2 the noise and a noticeable difference in airflow. Added bonus, it's reversible so if you run in conjunction with the main fan in living area you can cycle the air through the coach. I just installed a couple weeks ago and it's still preseason here in VT, so I don't have any power drain comparisons.

If you google it should pop right up.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Considering the same mod - watching for updates. Thanks ...
Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
I have a Sightseer, so not sure if this is apples to apples to your coach but wanted to chime in.

Similar problem, bathroom fan converted power to a lot of noise, but didn't move a lot of air.

I went with a "Hengs 3-2 Vortex II". All inside install, mounts into the existing holes/frame, outside vent remains in place. Huge change, probably 1/2 the noise and a noticeable difference in airflow. Added bonus, it's reversible so if you run in conjunction with the main fan in living area you can cycle the air through the coach. I just installed a couple weeks ago and it's still preseason here in VT, so I don't have any power drain comparisons.

If you google it should pop right up.
Can you switch the bathroom and main fan? Unless both are reversible. Not sure I would want to draw air into the washroom and exhaust in the living room. There are times when it could be downright embarrassing.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The current bath fans measure about 8" square on the interior, and (if I recall correctly) about 7" round on the roof. So the path forward is to cut the necessary ~12" square opening to install a new, high-volume fan.

And should the new fan have a reverse-direction function? I'll pass on that one!!!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Can you switch the bathroom and main fan? Unless both are reversible. Not sure I would want to draw air into the washroom and exhaust in the living room. There are times when it could be downright embarrassing.
Very good point and yes you can!
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone replaced their rear bath 'small circular vent' with the install of a 14X14 opening vent - possibly with powered fan? May have this mod done in September - nice to hear about other experiences.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Have a 15 Journey 42E Had Winnebago replace the worthless main bath fan, with Fantastic Fan. Big improvement cost was $1,000.00 done at the Forest City. Probably could be done for less somewhere else, but I figured FC would do it right.
LSMITH2509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, upgrade