Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Any one know if the 08 tour handle lights up it looks like it should .But I can not find the button.
rwademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Any one know if the 08 tour handle lights up it looks like it should .But I can not find the button.
rwademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I was disappointed when I found out the handle on our Journey didn't light up either. When you find out how to light your handle, I'll try that on mine.

Probably the handle doesn't have a light. At least it is strong enough to serve as a handle.

Cheers
Old 09-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If it lights up,it will come on with your porch light (most likely) like mine does
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If, inside the acrylic handle, there are several thin vertical white wires the handle should light any time you turn on your porch light. If those wires are not there, no light.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I purchased a OEM lighted handle for a later model and used it on my '04. The light source comes from a small reflector and single bulb at the end of the handle. Drill a hole and wire it to the porch light switch inside, the hole is covered by the chrome head.

http://www.lichtsinn.com/motorhome/winnebago_dealer.htm
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I think what rwademan is asking is this:

If the Journey (in my case Meridian) comes with a filiment exterior door handle where is the button to turn it on.

As others have mentioned it would come on with the porch light switch.

However, I assume, you like me, have the handle installed without the light/harness. I believe that part can be found in the winnebago parts book - I don't have the part number off hand. I have seen it before. As for installing the light and harness I have no idea the complexity of the job. I have yet to get to that project - although it is something I want to do...
luckymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hi, been there, done that. Converted 2004 Journey unlighted handle to lighted handle. There are special considerations, if you're interested.
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Is it worth the effort tho??
Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Have 04 Vectra with lighted handle and it looks
nice at night, but if it is a big job, I think
I would pass. The porch light will show the handle just fine. I think it is for looks
more than anything.

mrbojangles
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Carle:

Do share! I'm insterested in the considerations, part numbers, and cost!
Old 10-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ok, luckymick, here goes.

If a lighted handle is not on the option list for your MH, then there is no wiring in the harness.

You need to make the decision whether you want it to light in conjunction with something else, such as the porch lights, or as a stand-alone light that can be turned on at night as a decoration for your MH. I elected to go the latter route.

I purchased from Lichtsinn Mtrs a matching switch and brass plate that could be installed on the same panel area just above the switches for step, porch, lounge and basement lights. That allows me to turn on the light at will. Using double male connectors, I connected the +12V to the back of the +12V power point on the same panel. The switch is in this circuit. The ground was also present at the power point so the wiring was clean and safe.

When I received the lighted handle from Lichtsinn, even though it was the same part number, I discovered that Winne had changed the mounts since I bought my MH. Later, I discovered that Winne had indeed changed the part numbers but my part number was out of production. The new mounts would not exactly replace the original handle without ugly screw holes remaining exposed even though the overall dimensions were the same. The old mounts were chrome covered cast pot metal whereas the new mounts were highly polished stainless steel.

What to do? I went to a local plastics supply dealer and bought a piece of 1" round solid plastic that matched the original and cut and drilled out the old plastic in preparation for installing the light from the new handle into the old mount. Also, the ends of the new handle plastic had to be 'polished' for maximum light transmission.

The light in the new handle is an LED which makes a whiter light than some of the older incandescent light systems. This light from the new handle had to be modified somewhat to fit into the old mount.

A 1/4" hole through the sidewall at the center of the bottom mount came through just perfect for wiring back of the switches.

Cost: Light +/- $35.00 + taxes and shipping
New plastic - $5.00
Switch & Plate - $10.00
Labor - $0
Domestic Tranquility - ? Mainly concerning uncovered mounting holes. OK now.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Old 10-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Carle:

Thank you for the great response. Do you happen to have the part number for the "Light"?

I DO want to wire it into my porch light switch. I figured I'd just tap those wires upon install(?).

My coach - for whatever reason - came with the filiment handle; no light(?). When I first purchased the RV I called Winnie. Two folks I talked to said: "we don't use the filiment handle on the Meridian/Journey). That said that as I was looking at my handle infront of me!

Only think I can reason is: they took this handle from the Elipse/Horizon/Tour/Vectra part bin as the non-filiment handles might have been exhausted that day of manufacture?

If you have the light part number I'd appreciate it!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

luckymick,

So many variables exist, it seems that any numbers I could provide would probably be wrong for your application.

The parts guys at Lichtsinn Mtrs are very personable and helpful. They can verify the part numbers associated with your particular motorhome and, perhaps, identify one that is lighted that would fit the footprint. Winne did have a handle light that could be purchased separately.

You may need to make some modifications to make it work for you.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Old 10-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We havw an 08 Latitude that came w/o a lited handle. While we we in Forest city we took a run to Jakes RV surplus. Found a lighted handle there with the ITASCA lettering on it for $20.00. THe wiring was not there since it did not come with, put with some patience and a angle drill the job was done in less then an hour. The wiring attached to our porch lite switch.

2008 Itasca Latitude 39w UFO 8.1
YngRvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Carle/YngRvrs:

Thanks for the replies. You'd think the lighted handle would have a plug that one would just attach the wires instead of drilling.

I'll call the guys at Lichtsinn and see what they say...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:44 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have the white lines in mine and it does not light. I have gone nuts trying to find the switch or figure it out. Guess we will have to ad that mod.
WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote