Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

05 Suncruiser 35U

Hello,

I am considering buying an 05 Suncruiser 35U on a WH chassis and with about 18k miles on it

Are there are structural or recurring problems with this coach that I should be looking for?

The dealer told me yesterday that one small window beside the bed has moisture in it and during a violent thunderstorm the previous night, the head of the bed (and mattress and pillows) got wet

Thank you for any insight you may provide

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had a 03 Suncruiser and put 50k miles on it and loved the floorplan with the kids.

Look into the WH/Bosch brake caliper lockup problem and see if it applies to this 2005.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Kudos to the dealer for being honest. I wouldn't touch it with a known and unrepaired leak.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have an 2003 Adventurer 35U the wheels that you use to close the windows can be overtightened and this could cause the worm gear set up to not close properly, we just lined ours up and then put a heavy clamp type paper clip on both windows that was 3 years ago and they have been working fine since and no leaks, hope this helps you
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Adventurer 35 U. We are so happy with it I just on keeping it. The modifications Winnebago have made to this floor plan I don't like so I guess I'm going to have to keep it. We've had some problems but nothing that I would consider as big deals. The biggest repair I've had is $1500.00 that's a little less than the price of a new one.

VBUGLES
vbugles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The 35U was one of Winnie's best floor plans IMO. But like most Winnie models, check the roof to gutter seam on both sides. It's a well known problem on Winnie's. To check the seam you need to go along each side and press slightly on the roof at the gutter to see if the caulked joint has failed. Most will only fail in sections. To just look at the seam it will look sealed and ok. It takes a little time to work your way along a side to check it. Don't trust any dealer to check it out, do your own checking. If the seam is open at any point water will enter. This is a cause for delamination of the side walls.

They don't have to be old to fail. Our brand new 35L arrived with 800 miles on it and the roof to gutter joint had failed areas along it.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I personally don't know of a motor home out there that doesn't have it's own set of problems. That being said the model you are looking at is very popular - Winnebago is a known and reputable manufacturer. Get the window fixed - check the brakes and if all is well - go for it!!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comments folks

I picked up my 'new' 05 Itasca Suncruiser 35U a couple of days ago - love it so fR

There are a few small issues that only my time will cure. We are just finishing up a 1200 mile trip back home with it - handles like a dream

Thanks again

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote