Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

'05 Journey water leak

My '05 Journey has a water leak that I think is coming from the water tank but is dripping from a drain hose directly under the middle of the rv. This just started. Any ideas or thoughts? No idea what to do or where to start to determine exactly where this is coming from.
opolanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
It might be the overflow line for the water tank. If you are parked on a grade, it is possible for water to reach the overflow and discharge.

Just a thought.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 03-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My 2004 Journey fresh water tank is between the rails. The drain from the tank is through a large black hose located in the middle of the bottom of the tank. If your valve is leaking (or not closed completely) you would have water coming from the black hose.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ok I know that its not overflow because it leaks even when on flat ground and the water tank isn't full. How can I check to make sure the valve is leaking or not completely full?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by opolanco View Post
Ok I know that its not overflow because it leaks even when on flat ground and the water tank isn't full. How can I check to make sure the valve is leaking or not completely full?
I'm not sure about your 05, but my 03 has a cable in the cargo bay to open the valve. First, make sure that it has not been "opened" by something in the bay. Then. cycle it a few times to see if you can get it to seal.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

What ernieh said.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ok I'm going to look for this today before we get drenched with rain today here in south Louisiana. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem on my '04 Journey. It was the valve for draining the fresh water tank. Had to take it apart and replace the seals. That stoped the leak.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Was that difficult to do? I checked around for something to be loose but the only thing I noticed was that the tank drain valve was out a little but when I tried to push it back in it just popped out. Can you let me know what changing that out entails?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

BE SURE AND DRAIN THE TANK BEFORE YOU START THIS. Otherwise you will get very wet.

On the '04 journey. To replace the seals you need take an access panel off on the front of the metal enclosure that surrounds the fresh water tank. The valve is behind that panel. I drilled a couple of holes to put a socket thru to disassemble the valve. You need to take the seals to a camping supply to make sure you get the correct replacements. The valve on mine is a 1.5 inch. There are 2 different seals for this valve. I put vegetable oil on the new ones before installing them. Put the replacement seals on the outer flanges and then put on valve body. Hopefully that will stop the leak.

I have attached a couple of drawings. One from Winnebago and one from the valve mfg, Valterra. They will give you a perspective of what things look like.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fresh water dump valve.pdf (342.8 KB, 349 views)
File Type: pdf 132937AC Fresh Water Tank.PDF (511.1 KB, 356 views)
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, leak, water