Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

05 Journey 39k

I am buying the above model. The front TV is a Sony and the rear a RCA.
My question is are they digital or analog..Why two different makes? Thanks in advance
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My bet with that year coach - Analog !! The only way to truly find out is to read your manuals or lacking that, check for tag on back of TV listing type of tuner. Believe digital sets have ATSC tuners. Another method is to look at the remote for the set - if it has a period key (.) it probably is digital since that key allows tuning of digital stations like 8.2, 8.3, etc..
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Found out the 06 journey has the same tv in front. Will call RiverPark on Mon AM. thanks for your input. Good Miles
Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have a late 04 39k and the TVs were Sony in the front and RCA in the back. Guess Winnebago was using up left over RCAs. They were analog. We replaced them both with 32" Panasonic Viera LCD. In front the TV fits snug to the front cabinet and the space behind is now a nice storage area. In the back we removed the mirror over the bedroom sink and hung the TV on the wall there as high to the ceiling as possible so we can watch it flat in bed. The cabinet from the old TV is now a nice big storage cabinet also.

We love the 39k floorplan and all the space up front. We have been blessed that we have had few problems with the coach. We do go to Gaffney every year for service and this past spring did have all the injectors replaced at Blanchard CAT in Greenville, SC. due to a total engine shutdown. This was covered by the CAT warranty thankfully. Also we are having a passenger slide issue that seems to have corrected itself.

Fantastic service from both Freightliner and CAT by the way.

Enjoy your new rolling home.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Savannah, thanks for the input, If you have pictures, I would appreciate seeing how you did the new install. My email is [email protected].

This will be my 4th Winnie. I too visited Gaffney, at the old facility, never have been to the new one and attended the freightliner class...Sure are nice folks there. I have a daughter in Charlotte so I can make it a fun trip also..See you on the Road...itchn
Old 08-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Sorry no camera therefore no pictures but not to complicated. The front TV is on a swing out arm and we use black bungees to hold it in place (flat to the cabinet). The bungees are black and the TV is black plus we have dark wood so they don't show at all. We did take off the front cabinet doors and cut about an eighth of an inch off the side toward the TV for better clearance since the TV does go pretty much cupboard door to cupboard door. We stained the cut to match the woodwork. I wanted to be able to open those cupboards without swinging the TV out. Also took the glass out of those two cupboards and put in expanded metal so we could get air into the cupboards without leaving them open all the time. We did spray paint the metal to match our other hardware which in our case is gold. Also the remote can "shoot" thru with no problem.

The interior of the storage behind the TV is a heavy paneling. We are full timers traveling therefore no shop and not much in the way of tools. Basically build a frame in the space and put the paneling on it. Not fancy but works and doesn't show anyway. We did also put a vent in the rear of that space so the TV would get plenty of air.

The bedroom was alittle more work but we finally decided on a piece of 3/4 " plywood that goes from the countertop to the ceiling. It's 34" wide, since we needed plenty of width for the mounting arm for the TV. The plywood is liquid nails and screwed to the wall. We found some wallpaper that is almost a perfect match to the walls in the bedroom and then used quarter round molding to finish off the sides of the plywood. Also added a what not shelf below the TV. The TV is mounted on the straight type mounting bar and by mounting it as high as possible we can lay in bed and not be propped up to watch it. This TV also has bungee cords to hold it stationary when we're traveling. I put them on when we are hitting the road.

The cabinet where the bedroom TV was is now a nice storage cupboard. We used the same door. The interior is easily lined to make it a cupboard. We painted it white inside and added 2 LED touch lights since it is pretty deep and we also added 4 of the wire type shelves.

The lights in the ceiling over the bedroom sink were pretty intense therefore rather hot so we did remove those bulbs. Didn't want to melt the frame of the TV. We also removed the center ceiling light and added a ceiling fan. LOVE IT!!!

Truthfully I say we meaning our son did all the work and we bought the stuff. He is also full time so again no shop and limited tools. Surprising what can be done on a campground picnic table with a hack saw, screwdriver and hammer
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just put a converter box on mine, no big deal. I set it next to the vcr. Hooked the antenna wire to the converter then to the switch box where the antenna wire used to go into. You have to use the converter box to change channels.
You will love the 39k. That is what we have.
mdshedman is offline   Reply With Quote