Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile 05 Adventurer 38J "Sagging Floor"

Sometime in May of this year, the rear-end of the driver's side slide starting hanging up while being extended. HWH previously in October of 2015, replaced several missing, broken, and worn pads on both slides. After 11 years of no-problem operation, I was more than happy to have the work done.. . especially after hearing so many horror stories of much newer units with slide problems. Just before leaving for GNR this year, the jacks failed to extend. Winnebago replaced all 4 solenoids. Jacks now work. They also advised the slide needs a support kit, brackets, channel, and support assembly. That's scheduled for September. It's lotsa bux (for me), but I hope I'm correct assuming this is "normal wear and tear."

#1 LESSON LEARNED: I wish I'd been advised of WHAT to LOOK and LISTEN for long ago when operating those slides. The really good guys at HWH took time (after the fact, of course) to show me and tell me.
#2 LESSON LEARNED: The HWH Hydraulic System I'm convinced, is by far the best way to operate slides. Belts, pullies, chains, gears, etc - too many moving parts to wear out.

BOTTOM LINE (If you're still with me): We've decided to keep the 38J. We've had about $10k in interior upgrades installed, NOT including a full Banks Power-Pak system, (luv that 8100 Chevy), Koni shocks, and another set of Michelins. In short, I have much more confidence in this keeping unit than buying a new one.
groundpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpilot View Post
Sometime in May of this year, the rear-end of the driver's side slide starting hanging up while being extended. HWH previously in October of 2015, replaced several missing, broken, and worn pads on both slides. After 11 years of no-problem operation, I was more than happy to have the work done.. . especially after hearing so many horror stories of much newer units with slide problems. Just before leaving for GNR this year, the jacks failed to extend. Winnebago replaced all 4 solenoids. Jacks now work. They also advised the slide needs a support kit, brackets, channel, and support assembly. That's scheduled for September. It's lotsa bux (for me), but I hope I'm correct assuming this is "normal wear and tear."

#1 LESSON LEARNED: I wish I'd been advised of WHAT to LOOK and LISTEN for long ago when operating those slides. The really good guys at HWH took time (after the fact, of course) to show me and tell me.
#2 LESSON LEARNED: The HWH Hydraulic System I'm convinced, is by far the best way to operate slides. Belts, pullies, chains, gears, etc - too many moving parts to wear out.

BOTTOM LINE (If you're still with me): We've decided to keep the 38J. We've had about $10k in interior upgrades installed, NOT including a full Banks Power-Pak system, (luv that 8100 Chevy), Koni shocks, and another set of Michelins. In short, I have much more confidence in this keeping unit than buying a new one.
Are you having Forest City do the support kit? I am in the process of doing the slide pads now. That rear end of the kitchen slide is really a trouble spot.

Good luck
Old 08-30-2016, 03:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

After much looking & reading my wife and I came to the same conclusion, to keep our 2005 Adventurer 35A. We love the floor plan! We see HWH in less than to weeks as our drivers side slide has started to do what yours did. We are in the middle of completely remodeling the inside of the coach, new flooring, carpet. drapes, etc. Plan on posting pics of everything when done as I have been taking pics throughout the do over. Silas/Katina & Wilbur the potbelly pig2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WILLEY.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	137538  
para566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Fairly new to rv'ing, I'd benefit from knowing what to look and listen for to prevent problems. Can you share? Or do I need to see or talk to the people at hwh?
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Well for us the first thing I noticed was looking at the paint scheme the lines on the back side (RH) side of the slide is lower by just about 3/4 of an inch from the coach body, then on the inside of the coach that side of the slide started to leave marks on the carpet. After reading several posts from irv2 I found where to look for my glides to see if the were worn or not....OH yes they are As for any sounds...Hmmm ,,,yes that slide sounds diff than the other 2 slides and sounds diff than it has when we bought it but no grinding or bad sounds... kinda like it just has to try harder to push the slide out make since Silas/Katina& Wilbur
para566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am new to the Go Pro as you can tell but this will give somewhat of an idea of where I am to correcting this problem. Just replacing the front riser pads on the back ram of the kitchen slide made a big change in my paint alignment. As time permits I will do all the pads.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2006 38J and also have the "support kit" and new pads. What a difference. I would advise anyone who is considering keeping their 38J for the long run (we are) to have the kit installed. It greatly helps to support the heavy kitchen end of these models.

This floor plan is excellent and the W-24 is a good chassis. No reason to not keep them repaired and on the road.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Para566 and jerboy, thank you both for the helpful info. I'll take a careful look at my slide and try to catch any issues early.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent