Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

04 Meridian 34H floor tile problems

Bought this rig used three years ago. Some of the floor tiles are "moving" and buckling. This happens where the tiles are going under a wall and/or the shower base.
To me, the cause must be that the walls are not properly anchored to the floor and moving ever so slightly , "inching" the tiles in one direction when we are driving
Anyone out there with similar problems??????

Also interested in replacing all carpet and tile. Problem is the kitchen as part of the slide. To me it seems impossible to move the slide out further without complete disassembly/removal of the cabinets and counter.
Has anyone out there tried this?????
Nalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have replaced all the flooring in our 2004 Journey.

Notes on how we did it

We have also replaced the TVs and reupholstered the couch and dinette
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply. The "tilt out" option might work also for me. My main problem is the 45 deg corner kitchen, which is part of the slide.
The slide is 12' long - half couch and carpet - half vinyl tile and kitchen. There is a 5' carpet glide under the couch and two rollers under the kitchen.
With the corner kitchen, I can see no way to remove all tiles without taking the slide out. Maybe I can just leave some of the old tiles in the areas that are always invisible - slide in or out. If I use vinyl planking I might be able to just butt up against the old vinyl.

I have a couple of questions...

Just checked the 2004 catalog - I will have more problems in the kitchen area. Everything else is very similar
1. Did you leave the glide/roller combination or replaced the rollers with an additional glide.
2. Should the floor be floating or glued down???

Nalle
Old 04-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I replaced the "Teflon" glide with the carpeted glide

I made no changes under the kitchen as there were tiles there ... the rollers are still there.

If you look at the Winnebago website you can see that my galley also "turns the corner" ... we have a 39W.

If you send me a personal message with your email address, I will send pictures before, during, and at the completion of the project.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalle View Post
Bought this rig used three years ago. Some of the floor tiles are "moving" and buckling. This happens where the tiles are going under a wall and/or the shower base.
To me, the cause must be that the walls are not properly anchored to the floor and moving ever so slightly , "inching" the tiles in one direction when we are driving
Had a similar problem on my coach in the bathroom. I made a 'relief' cut in the tile to give it more room to move against the wall, under the molding. Fixed that problem.

If you find some tiles moving, you may be able to heat them up with a heat gun and move them back into position.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Also interested in replacing all carpet and tile. Problem is the kitchen as part of the slide. To me it seems impossible to move the slide out further without complete disassembly/removal of the cabinets and counter.
Has anyone out there tried this?????

I also have the same tile problem with my Meridian 34H. It looks as though the shower and the bathroom cabinet have enough movement to cause the tile to shift. At this point I have not worked on a solution although I will be soon. My initial plan is to use a putty knife under the cabinet to release some of the pressure on the adjoining tile and with the help of a heat gun, try and move the tiles back. If that is successful I will probably use small brads to anchor the tile .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I also have the same tile problem with my Meridian 34H. It looks as though the shower and the bathroom cabinet have enough movement to cause the tile to shift. At this point I have not worked on a solution although I will be soon. My initial plan is to use a putty knife under the cabinet to release some of the pressure on the adjoining tile and with the help of a heat gun, try and move the tiles back. If that is successful I will probably use small brads to anchor the tile .
Thanks for your input Chuck.
I have had similar thoughts. I have now removed all base moldings. There is a relief cut already under the wall to the toilet. However, no relief under the shower base or washer/dryer cabinet. I have heated and moved all tiles back in place and will use small brads close to the wall so they will be hidden under the base molding.
Leaving on a 2000 mile trip in a week. Will let you know if the tiles stay in place.

Nalle
Old 06-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Nalle: Same RV, same Problem, same solution-heat gun, move them back in place and small brads. I still can't figure why they walk..Enjoy the RV.
At least we don't have any slide-out problems that I've been reading about in the newer Winnebagos; the 2004 is looking better!
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks for your input Chuck.
I have had similar thoughts. I have now removed all base moldings. There is a relief cut already under the wall to the toilet. However, no relief under the shower base or washer/dryer cabinet. I have heated and moved all tiles back in place and will use small brads close to the wall so they will be hidden under the base molding.
Leaving on a 2000 mile trip in a week. Will let you know if the tiles stay in place.

Nalle
Success !
I cut the tiles where they went under the cabinets, removed the out of place tiles with the aid of my heat gun the put them back where they belonged.
I the got and stained the molding in front of the cabinet and used white stick on trim around the shower, Viola ! Beautiful !
Old 11-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Chuck,

I did the same thing, also using white stick on vinyl around the shower base. It looked great and everything stayed in place for the next 5000 miles without any problems.
However, I had other issues with the tile and decided to rip them out and replace with glue down vinyl plank when I came back south a month ago. That is now in process. What a sticky mess!!! Have not found anything that will easily remove the old glue. Have been told that it is okay to use vinyl adhesive on top of the sticky stuff. Problem is moving around in there without getting stuck to the floor for good!!
Everything is on hold right now because I am busy "gluing" back all head and fog lights up front that decided to fall off. And, while I am at it I will also glue the rear flip up cover back together.
Will let you know how the floor turns out.

Nalle
Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

What are you using to glue the headlites ec. Back in.
Thanks, Bob
Old 11-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclogger1 View Post
what are you using to glue the headlites ec. Back in.
Thanks, bob

jb weld !
Old 11-18-2015, 05:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Bob,

I put them back in original position with a thin coat of slow epoxy. Then I epoxied double strips of 6 oz. fiberglass over the metal tabs and extending a couple of inches beyond. It should take a grenade to get them off now.
While I had it all out I replaced both headlights with new ones. The glass was pretty yellow on the old ones and the alignment adjustment was totally frozen.

Nalle
Old 11-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the answers, mine haven't come out yet but I am getting ready. The rear engine access cover did come loose but I used stainless screws and nuts to reattach it. I understand that the head lite assy's are fairly cheap. I changed one bulb and that was a pain.
Tks, Bob