Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

04 Journey fiberglass roof rippling??

I'm sorry, but I don't have pics at the moment. I was up on the stick house roof installing christmas lights and i was level with the top of the moho. I noticed the roof is beginning to buckle up in several spots from side to side, it looks like the swells are about an inch high and 2 to 3 inches wide. Never had this problem in the last 2 WGBO's with fiberglass roofs. I crossed over to the moho roof from the house and walked around, very careful to NOT step on these rises.

Am curious if anyone else out there has had similar problems.

Before someone asks, we live in Northern CA between San Francisco and Sacramento, weather this time of year is mild ranging from mid 30s at night to low 60's during day unless it is raining. We have to store it outside.

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't have pics at the moment. I was up on the stick house roof installing christmas lights and i was level with the top of the moho. I noticed the roof is beginning to buckle up in several spots from side to side, it looks like the swells are about an inch high and 2 to 3 inches wide. Never had this problem in the last 2 WGBO's with fiberglass roofs. I crossed over to the moho roof from the house and walked around, very careful to NOT step on these rises.

Am curious if anyone else out there has had similar problems.

Before someone asks, we live in Northern CA between San Francisco and Sacramento, weather this time of year is mild ranging from mid 30s at night to low 60's during day unless it is raining. We have to store it outside.

Thanks in advance,
Hey Barry,
Long time no type to, how is ya? Well, the "rippling" thing is a bit odd, to say the least. As you already know, it's not all that common and has not been reported on here very many times, at all. I'm on my roof quite often and, as of yet, in 5.5 years of ownership and, the coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon, being 12 years old, no ripples. And, just what would be the remedy for this dilemma? Well, if it were me, I'd definitely do some research and try and come up with something, duhhhhh! But, off the top of my head, (and I'm always thinking outside the box) maybe as a test, drill a hole, maybe an 1/8th inch in the center of one of the ripples, using a heat gun to soften the fiberglass ripple, I'd maybe inject some sort of glue in the hole, then either step on or somehow compress the ripple back down so the glue will take.

Maybe you'd need some weights to hold it down while the glue sets up. Then, if that worked, patch the tiny hole with whatever you come up with, Dicor self leveling caulk, Urethane caulk, "Silicone" ( I normally get flamed for a few weeks when I mention Silicone on roofing projects but, I've got some on mine that's 12 years old and is as pliable and stuck to the components as was when originally installed) no biggie, flame away.

But, it's definitely odd for sure. Let us know what you figure out.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

That is weird. If the ripples go side to side, I'd be worried that the RV sat in the hot sun too long with either the front or the rear of the rig set too high, caused by the jacks or parking with one end on a slight incline.

It they go fore and aft, I got nothing.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Barry, since we have the same RV except for colors I just went out and looked at mine. I have one that runs from the front of the galley roof vent to the passenger side about 2 inches at the widest. It is may 1/2 inch high - it also runs to the drivers side but barely rises and is narrow. There is one from the crank up TV antenna that runs to the passenger side but not as large as the one from the roof vent. Above the bedroom there is another. I pushed on the front ones and they are pretty soft. My guess would be water got in there and the glass has broken free of the wood underlay. I don't know how the roof is constructed so I'm at a loss as to what if anything to do about them. IF there is a "good" wood underlay then Scotts idea of a small hole and inserting epoxy with placing weights on top would be good but if the wood underneath is bad - it could someday be a real problem. I'll be interested in what you decide to do. As a side note we should be in your area before Christmas but I'll send you an email when we get travel dates figured out. Would be good to see you and Sue again.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Deleted
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Duplicate deleted
Old 12-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Deleted
Old 12-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Deleted
Old 12-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Another duplicate deleted!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have two ripples on my 09 Journey. Called Winnebago and the rep suggested it might be from moisture ingress. Sent pictures and received their reply today. The rep talked to his supervisor and in his reply today said "it’s probably fluctuation in the roof by the support beams, and that’s normal. That’s something that wouldn’t be covered under the Winnebago 1 year limited warranty or the 10 crane composite fiber glass warranty".
I guess they think a lot of their customers just fell off the turnip wagon!
Mine sounds similar to yours - the ripple is about 1-1/2 inches at the high spot and runs from roof radius to roof radius. It is immediately in front of a covered fantastic fan and there is no apparent indication where the addition fiberglass came from. I suspect that if you stepped on it, the fiberglass would fracture and moisture would flood the luan material below.
Evidently roof ripples are not uncommon but I have trouble with the explanation of a shifting roof. My experience with Winnebago Owner Relations and their Factory Service is that they refuse to acknowledge chronic major defects/issues so I am 9uncertain as to what they might be doing and would certainly like to know why they have "fluctuation in the roof by the support beams".

My coach had to have the both sidewalls replaced (under warranty) because of defective panels they used in 2008 when it was built. This is a very complex and invasive task as everything is either attached to or goes through the sidewalls. I suspect the roof may have been damaged during the sidewall replacement and is only coming to light now 5 years later.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Apologize for the duplicates deleted. I screwed up editing creating a new reply each time.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

As of now, I am just going to keep an eye on them. Our weather is too iffy in Dec to begin any repair of sorts. I have noticed tho, over the years, when I walk on the roof, I can often hear a slight creaking or cracking sound and I wonder if that is the glue breaking down between the fiberglass and the luan substrate.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

On my 2004 Suncruiser I noticed the same kind of "ripples" on my roof. I was quite concerned and asked Winnebago support about it and here is their reply, "The roof material will expand and contract with the changes in outside temperature. This is normal and won’t hurt the roof material."

I understand that the fiberglass roof material is free floating and fairly thin, anchored at the front and back cap seam and the roof edge along the sides. I guess it makes sense that the roof will contract and expand with the variations in temperature. Most likely the longer the motorhome the more the roof will expand and contract.

Over time I have checked the roof and have found that the ripples come and go. So maybe Winnebago support is correct. Hope so.

Bob Eagan
Whidbey Island, WA

Tags
fiberglass, journey, roof