Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

04 Journey 39K Engine Data Port Location

I am considering the purchase of the Scanguage D for my MH. I do not want to pull the trigger until I locate where I am going to make the connection. Any Ideas?
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Under the dash on the left side of the steering column. Possibly down by the left hand footrest. Round plug with light gray cap which twists off (retained by by small string). It may be obvious or it may be hidden by wiring harnesses. (You should have an identical plug back at the back side of the engine bay, just for comparison.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

On mine it is on the firewall behind the steering column and behind a bunch of wires, not visible without moving the bundle of wires.
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Gives me the right area to start pushing wires out of the way.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

phinneyJ.
Well Sir, the answers you've been given are correct. I don't know if you followed my "Could this be an MMDC problem" thread or not but, in it, I stated how hard it was to locate my cab diagnostic port. I searched for quite a while and actually stumbled on it by accident. You see, normally they have that gray plastic cap on them that gives things away. But, mine apparently lost the cap and it was mounted on the firewall, a few inches to the left of the steering wheel and about two inched above the carpet.

Now I have no idea who mounted it. Either the boys at Freightliner or, the boys at Winne/Itasca. But, first off, talk about a severe pain in the a$$ to gain access to it by ANY TECH, much less a laymen like myself for what ever purpose you might need. Second, I have no idea what the plug looks like that would attach itself to that port so, trying to plug it in would be a pain too.

So, what I did was un mount it from the fire wall and mount it under the dash, about an inch in from the face of the dash and very close to the left side of the steering wheel. Oh, I also called a local Freightliner dealer here in San Diego to see about getting a replacement cap and, it's a good thing I was sitting down when they told me the price. It's a whopping $20.00, JUST FOR THE LITTLE GRAY CAP, I said "no thanks".

So, I dropped down to the local hardware store and found a plastic plug that fits it like a glove, for about $.39, way better. Anyway, not sure if you know what's in that plug or not as far as wiring is concerned but, if you'd like to know, either ask or PM me and I'd be glad to post a PDF on that entire wiring of that system, diagnostic plug to diagnostic plug. Good luck in finding yours.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Door Guy and I have the same coach, a 2004 39K, built a few months apart and my connector was very hard to find up on the firewall up behind looms of wiring. His was easy to see. So I think it depends on which tech was working so it may be easy or hard. Good luck, I hope it is easy to find.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I got looking up there again and even went through the front door. So far no joy.

I am on the Workhorse Chassis, hoping that that does not make a difference, like not putting one in. I don't bend as well as I used too so the searching sessions don't last too long.

I know where the one is in the back next to the dipsticks so I know what it should look like.

Looking through the wiring schematics did not help, need new glasses anyway. Slow and steady, finding a lot of unconnected wires for whatever option wasn't installed. (I hope)

Anyway, thanks again and if you got the Workhorse R32 RDP chassis let me know if you found yours.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sorry, I missed that you were on a Workhorse R32 RDP rather than a Freightliner chassis. I believe that the previous comments all apply to the Freightliner chassis rather than yours.

You might try a posting on the Workhorse forum as well.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well Sir,
I guess then my wiring diagrams and schematics probably won't help due to the fact that I have a diesel unit. I'm not really sure what kind of differences there would be so, I guess we could "assume" that there is a diagnostic port up front. It appears that the general consensus is that it's to the left of the steering wheel, and most likely stuck on the firewall, behind the miles of wiring and looms. I too don't bend that well so, it was a pain find mine and, relocate it for easier access in the future.
Scott
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Maybe I will try and call Winnebago and see what they say if I can't locate it.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Talking Port location

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Maybe I will try and call Winnebago and see what they say if I can't locate it.
First off good luck! I also have the 39K on a Workhorse and it IS a diesel. Amazing how many folks want to argue that Winnie did not make a diesel on a WH chassis in 2004. Winnebago may be of some help but they made so few of the disels on a WH chassis that you have to get an old timer to find some one that can help. I have the best luck calling customer service at Winnie and explaining that you DO have the WH chassis and it is a diesel and usually they are helpful. Also, I have a local certified WH shop close by and they are very helpful just not too famalir with the diesel chassis.
Please post you outcome.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
I goofed up. I read the original post, then, I only focused in on the fact that he had a "Workhorse" chassis. I was not aware that anyone made a diesel rig, much less Winne on a W/H chassis. I finally looked at his signature and noticed it was a diesel. But, the way this particular forum is set up, you CONNOT do any editing AFTER ONE HOUR OF POSTING like you can on just about any other forum. I wanted to correct what I put in my post but, it was too late.

So, now that I'm better educated, I will be better able to make educated responses. In any case, the outcome of this thread will be interesting in the fact that if or if not, W/H did or did not install a front diagnostic port. I just went through a serious learning curve on my wiring on my coach, learning all about the "J1939 Data Link" system and how it works. I'm wondering if, W/H has anything like that, in the OPs operation.
Scott
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Scott,
I don't want to change the thread. PM me to let me know where you got the information regarding the J1939 Data Link. Or, was that from Silverleaf?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Data Port

I have contorted my tired, old, large bones to cram them between the seat and firewall in search of the elusive data port...with no success.

To address some wiring issues, I took the dash cover off, exposing the wiring behind it. There, I found a grey cap about an inch and one half in diameter with a rather intricate pattern and I wonder if this could be the data port. I kind of doubt it because it's right there in front of God and everybody, in contrast to what most posts have described.

Does anyone have a picture of this item?

Thanks.
rogo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Here's a picture of the under dash plug on my Freightliner chassis:

Old 05-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

dengraham,
You have a PM.
Scott
Old 05-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
I have contorted my tired, old, large bones to cram them between the seat and firewall in search of the elusive data port...with no success.

To address some wiring issues, I took the dash cover off, exposing the wiring behind it. There, I found a grey cap about an inch and one half in diameter with a rather intricate pattern and I wonder if this could be the data port. I kind of doubt it because it's right there in front of God and everybody, in contrast to what most posts have described.

Does anyone have a picture of this item?

Thanks.
Make year and model of MH would help, if your driving something other than the 04 Journey's and Meridian's taking down the dash may not be my solution.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

The above picture is the port -- that one is a 9 pin port -- they also come in a six pin configuration -- the picture did a good job of capturing the port as well as the grey cover. It sounds like from your previous post that you have found the elusive port when you described the 1 1/2" grey cover -- that is about the right size
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
The above picture is the port -- that one is a 9 pin port -- they also come in a six pin configuration -- the picture did a good job of capturing the port as well as the grey cover. It sounds like from your previous post that you have found the elusive port when you described the 1 1/2" grey cover -- that is about the right size
As the original poster, no I have not found the port yet. I even pulled the back part of the dash to get a view back there. I still need to call Winnebago on this oddball rig to see if they put it in. I even found out today, after spending countless time searching for the coolant filter that I ain't got one. If I can't find the data port then I may save a few bucks buying the monitor. Don't need one right away, just planning ahead.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Jeff, I have a Spartan chassis and my data port was located behind the foot rest on the left hand side of the steering wheel. There were 6 screws holding the footrest in --- 4 going up the side of the foot rest and 2 on the floor going through a flange -- I had to move the carpet fibers around to find the 2 in the floor ---- by moving a trim piece, I found the 4 going up the wall. After removing the footrest so I could see behind it, BINGO -- there was the port mounted to the front firewall. Along with the data port, there was the rocker switch for the anti-locking brakes, a test switch for the brakes, and a diagnostic switch for the brakes ----- "who wooda thunk". If you can't find it anywhere else, you might try there -- it is a "bitch" (sorry if I offended ya) to get to but, I did find it. And, I do love my ScanGauge D which I installed after finding the port.

Tags
journey, scangauge