Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Jeff, I also noted that you said that you did not have a coolant filter on your 8.3 ISC -- I am running a 8.3, 350HP ISC on a 2002 Winny Ultimate Advantage. On mine, the coolant filter (when looking at the engine from the rear) is located high on the block right behind the oil filter. The only way you can see it is from below -- the coolant filter is a small one -- about the size of the small filters that go on the small car engines of today -- I'm gonna say about 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter and only about 4 inches high -- the oil filter completely hides it from view when looking from the rear. If you do find you have one and want to change it, there is a small lever up where the filter is located and make sure you turn that lever off before changing the filter -- otherwise it will flood you with coolant when you remove the filter ---don't ask why I know that for a FACT !!! Just remember to turn the filter lever back to the "on" position after changing the filter.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Jeff, I have a Spartan chassis and my data port was located behind the foot rest on the left hand side of the steering wheel. There were 6 screws holding the footrest in --- 4 going up the side of the foot rest and 2 on the floor going through a flange -- I had to move the carpet fibers around to find the 2 in the floor ---- by moving a trim piece, I found the 4 going up the wall. After removing the footrest so I could see behind it, BINGO -- there was the port mounted to the front firewall. Along with the data port, there was the rocker switch for the anti-locking brakes, a test switch for the brakes, and a diagnostic switch for the brakes ----- "who wooda thunk". If you can't find it anywhere else, you might try there -- it is a "bitch" (sorry if I offended ya) to get to but, I did find it. And, I do love my ScanGauge D which I installed after finding the port.
Sounds like you are describing my foot rest. That area is the hardest part to get behind. Thanks for the clue, you may be onto something.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Check at the rear of the coach. I had a problem once and the tech finally found a port in the rear. I'm no techie just remembering a past problem. Once tried to reflash the dash gauges and never found a port up front.

Good Luck
Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
Check at the rear of the coach. I had a problem once and the tech finally found a port in the rear. I'm no techie just remembering a past problem. Once tried to reflash the dash gauges and never found a port up front.

Good Luck
I know about the rear port. Given that we have the same chassis, year, make and model I may be for nothing. I think I still want to get behind that footrest on the left side.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Found Data port on my '04 39K

I have had the same issue with locating the port on my 39K but I finally found it. It is mounted on the firewall, pointing up, to the left of the steering column (about where your left foot would be) and ABOVE the massive bundle of wire harnesses. Very hard to see. I finally found it by removing the footrest and fishing around by hand.
trun57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trun57 View Post
I have had the same issue with locating the port on my 39K but I finally found it. It is mounted on the firewall, pointing up, to the left of the steering column (about where your left foot would be) and ABOVE the massive bundle of wire harnesses. Very hard to see. I finally found it by removing the footrest and fishing around by hand.
trun57,
Good find! Now, depending on your outlook on things, the smart thing to do would be to relocate it to a more user friendly area. Not that you use that port every ten minutes while you're in the coach but, if, IF, it's needed by you or, any tech at a dealer while you're out on the road, it sure would be nice if all the tech had to do was look down, by the steering wheel column and, there it is, hanging from the bottom of the dash or, somewhere thereabouts.

I relocated mine to just to the left of the column and, mounted to the bottom of the dash lip. It's not in the way, and, you almost can't see it while in the drivers seat. But, when I bend down, there it is, and I (or any tech trying to do a diagnostic,) has access to it very, very easily. Just an idea here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2004 Meridian 39W and are considering purchasing a VMSpc package but need to locate the diagnostic connector first. After reading all the posts here I have stood on my head and wiggled around and still have not located the connector. The one in the engine compartment is easy to see. No sign of it from the opposite side of the firewall either. I'm reluctant to take the dash apart for fear of disturbing something not broken. The Winne wiring diagram shows a bracket for the connector about knee high to the left of the steering column mounted to the firewall. I can see two screws penetrating the firewall in that location from the generator compartment. There is so much wiring and ductwork blocking that area there seems to be no way of seeing or feeling what is behind. Am I "looking" in the right place? Any suggestions on how to gain access?

John
2004 Itasca Meridian 39W CAT C7-350
RVBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBeagle View Post
We have a 2004 Meridian 39W and are considering purchasing a VMSpc package but need to locate the diagnostic connector first. After reading all the posts here I have stood on my head and wiggled around and still have not located the connector. The one in the engine compartment is easy to see. No sign of it from the opposite side of the firewall either. I'm reluctant to take the dash apart for fear of disturbing something not broken. The Winne wiring diagram shows a bracket for the connector about knee high to the left of the steering column mounted to the firewall. I can see two screws penetrating the firewall in that location from the generator compartment. There is so much wiring and ductwork blocking that area there seems to be no way of seeing or feeling what is behind. Am I "looking" in the right place? Any suggestions on how to gain access?

John
John,
Yep, you're in the right place. Ours is the sister ship to yours. An '04 Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT. That port, was darn near on the floor, attached to the firewall, about 6"-12" to the left of the steering column. Lots of wires had to be forces/pushed out of the way in order to get at it and remove it from it's hidden position and move it to a local and re-mount it for easier access at a later date. Once the screws were removed, the port had plenty of wire for it to be re-located. Just keep at it partner, you'll find it. Let us know when you do so it keeps the info going for other folks who, may be in the same predicament you're in.
Scott
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

On my 2002 Ultimate Advantage, the port was mounted to the firewall BEHIND the foot rest that is on the left side of steering wheel. I had to remove the footrest and then I could access the port -- along with the port was the diagnosis switch for the anti-lock brakes, the "on/off" switch for the anti-lock brakes, and another rocker switch along with the port. I "unmounted" the bracket from the firewall and moved it to the right of the foot rest so I could access it to plug in my ScanGauge - Diesel. On my MH, there were (6) screws that ran up the side of the foot rest and some that ran along the floor of the footrest -- move around the carpeting and you should find them. I want to say there were 4 on the side and 2 that ran along the floor. Hope you find the port -- they did not make it easy on mine.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

With the help and encouragement found here I was able to locate the diagnostic connector. I removed the footrest (again) and used a mirror on a stick. I saw what looked like the back of the connector. Separating the wires I was able to see the bracket mounting the connector to the firewall. The connector was mounted facing upward. Not a very useful location or orientation. There was no cap, grey or otherwise. It was located about a foot from the floor and 10-12" to the left of the steering column. I was able to remove the two screws holding the bracket to the firewall. Once it was loose I pulled it out where I could see that it was indeed the diagnostic connector. As Scott said there is plenty of wire to relocate the bracket to a much more accessible location.

The folks at Silverleaf are working on an Android version of their VMSpc product using a bluetooth connection. Supposedly it will be ready by November. I plan to buy the Bluetooth adapter and use it with an old laptop until the Android version is available. Now that I have found the connector I can proceed.

Thanks to all...

John
RVBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

John,
Glad you located it and "re-located" it to a more useful position. By the way, as stated, you should also have one of those in the rear of the coach too for when a tech is back there and needs to do some diagnostics. And, by the way, DO NOT LOOSE THAT GRAY CAP on the rear one. The folks at Freightliner are very proud of those little, 1" diameter gray caps. They want a whopping $20.00, JUST FOR THE CAP
Scott

Tags
journey, scangauge