Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi all - my DH and I are new to this forum, and we are in the final negotiation stages with our local dealer over a used 04 Horizon. A few questions come to mind: Is there really much difference in the Cummins 350 compared to the 400 engine like the newer Horizon & Vectra have?

Where did they hide the Safe that's advertised?

What is this Outside Freezer compartment that some of the dealers advertise on some of their Horizons? We can find any references to them.

Any major negatives about the 04 besides the other postings we have read regarding bedroom wall near slide cracks or LP tank welds?

Your input is appreciated!

Sam & Sandy and Sammy (Yorkie)
New Port Richey, FL USA

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi all - my DH and I are new to this forum, and we are in the final negotiation stages with our local dealer over a used 04 Horizon. A few questions come to mind: Is there really much difference in the Cummins 350 compared to the 400 engine like the newer Horizon & Vectra have?

Where did they hide the Safe that's advertised?

What is this Outside Freezer compartment that some of the dealers advertise on some of their Horizons? We can find any references to them.

Any major negatives about the 04 besides the other postings we have read regarding bedroom wall near slide cracks or LP tank welds?

Your input is appreciated!

New Port Richey, FL USA

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NR4A:

New Port Richey, FL USA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam and Sandy,Welcome to the forum!!
We are sure you will find the answers to many of your questions here as well as the opportunity to make some good friends too!!
We have a regional area on the bottom of the main forum page where groups plan camping get togethers based on regions of the U.S.
There is also an iRV2 National Rally held every year, the 2007 Rally is in Branson,MO and there's plenty of room for you!!

Here is a picture of the refrigerator/freezer on the curbside slideout tray...It's in the second compartment from the door. This picture is of my previous coach,an '06 Vectra 40KD.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi Sam and Sandy - welcome!

The safe (at least on our 40AD) is aft of the bed near the 'nightstand' in the floor. There is a dark tab of material that you lift up the carpeted cover with.

I strongly suggest a engine with a side radiator for lots of reasons that I won't discuss here - much has already been said about rear vs. side. A friend has an '04 Vectra with the Cat 350 and a side radiator and he is quite pleased with the engine. If you can - go for the torque of the Cummins ISL (1200 ftlbs) but if everything else is a "go" on the coach and it feels right for you I'd go for it.

The other major problem area with 2004/5 models is leaky bedroom slides. Be sure and feel the wallboard area around the bottom and corners of the slide opening. If it has lots of little bumps, then it had/has a leak.

Look around the Freightliner Chassis Owner's Club website for more information and I would also email Rudy Morris the webmaster - he has a 2004 and has more of a feel for first model year problems than me.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

G'day Sam & Sandy.
We have a 04 40AD which we have only owned since January. We have the 350 Cummins and with the trip from Florida to NY we did not have a problem. It just sailed along nicely but we didn't push it because of the fuel mileage.

Since we bought it we have lived in it as it is our only home now. We liked many things about the 40AD floorplan and do not regret our purchase at all. Did have a bedroom slide leak but it was actually coming in because of the roof to side caulk that had seperated so now we do not have a problem.

If I can help you in any way please ask. This is our second Winne and we are very happy overall and when we buy again it will most likely also be a Winnie.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thank you John. I have read many of your posts and visited your webpage. We found the Alaska journey quite interesting.

I have read on the forum about the side radiator preference, and I have to agree with you and the others who recommend it. I have also read about the infamous BR slide leaking and cracking. I need to go over the unit again which will be after monday.

You wrote If you can - go for the torque of the Cummins ISL (1200 ftlbs) but if everything else is a "go" .... which I dont understand. The unit we are looking at is the Cummins 350 with side radiator. I dont know if it is the 1200 ft/lbs engine. Can you enlighten me?

Thank you again.

Sam & Sandy

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Lindsay, we are also full timing and it is great to hear some positive input on the coach. We have been full timing since January in a 36' 5ER, but find it not possible to tow the motorcycle trailer with the 2 Harleys in it behind a 5th wheel.

I will miss my F-350 dually if we make the trade to the Horizon, but think this will afford us the flexibility we have been wanting.

Cheers!

Sam & Sandy

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just talked with the dealer - and he tells me they have it, but do not leave them in the coaches on display because they tend to have them vanish into thin air by prospective "buyers". Thank you for the head's up on it!!

We will see if we can make Bronson - and appreciate the invitation.

From sunny FL

S & S

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You wrote If you can - go for the torque of the Cummins ISL (1200 ftlbs) but if everything else is a "go" .... which I dont understand. The unit we are looking at is the Cummins 350 with side radiator. I dont know if it is the 1200 ft/lbs engine. --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sam - I am not aware of the various torque ratings of the previous years of Cummins. I think they had the 350, the 370 and then the 400. Don't know what the torque rating is of the engines - maybe some web searching will reveal all. The bottom line is that it is all about torque and not HP - torque is what gets you up the hill.

What I was trying to say was that if you like the overall deal with the coach, buy it. I sure wouldn't get hung up over 1050 vs 1200 ftlbs.

Bye, bye Alaska - we're now in British Columbia - just got off the ferry this afternoon

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Fair winds and following seas Jane and John, keep those cabinets and drawers closed....see you good folks in Kerrville...

I agree with your horsepower/torque assessment and especially agree with your "preference" of a side radiator chassis...

My wife beats me over the head for purchasing a "side by side" refrigerator,but that's an issue for another day...She likes the over and under storage capabilities much more.
Not sure what that year "AD" came with.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote