Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all,

We took delivery last Friday of our new-to-us 32T. Having been a boat owner for many years, I knew coming into this that there would be "issues". The coach is great and everything works pretty well (except the rear view camera crapped out 40 minutes into our first trip last weekend and we just got a check engine light leaving DMV) so I was wondering if I could tap into your vast knowledge data base to see what things I might be looking forward to (besides fun and adventure)"dealing with"? I saw the topic on the paint and the FC overheating (although I think that is for side radiators) but if anyone else has suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

John
aux_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi all,

We took delivery last Friday of our new-to-us 32T. Having been a boat owner for many years, I knew coming into this that there would be "issues". The coach is great and everything works pretty well (except the rear view camera crapped out 40 minutes into our first trip last weekend and we just got a check engine light leaving DMV) so I was wondering if I could tap into your vast knowledge data base to see what things I might be looking forward to (besides fun and adventure)"dealing with"? I saw the topic on the paint and the FC overheating (although I think that is for side radiators) but if anyone else has suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

John
Old 10-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Congratulations on your new coach! You will really enjoy it.

Here are some maintenance things to consider:

Assuming you have TranSynd fluid in the tranny:
36 months - Main & Lube Filter Change
48 months - change fluid
(Note - I would do both at 36 months)

Air cleaner replacement @ 24 months
Air Brake Dryer system filters (dessicant & coalesent) @ 36months
Coolant replacement @ 36 months

If you don't have the service records for your coach I would have these items done to make sure your coach is up to snuff.

Sounds like your're ready for the 36 month service. This is also known as an M3 at Freightliner. Including engine oil, lube,fuel filter,fuel/water separator (each of which should be changed annually) you'll be looking at (with all the above stuff included) $1K+. Here is a link to the Freightliner forum on the M3 service.

If it hasn't had these services done, I would highly recommend you have them done.

Good luck with your new coach!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check the date of manufacture stamp on your tires. I have a 2004 Journey and my tires were made in week 52 of 02 and week 3 of 03 so I will need to replace my tires in another year.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

John - that Sony rearview camera is one of the issues with the '04 Journey. Seems the camera has a timer in it and when the warranty runs out so does the camera -

Tim at rvcams.com is a good source for replacement. Very friendly and knowledgeable. As I remember it's $225 for the replacement. A lot of people have chased bad cables, monitors, etc., but in every case I've read about, it ends up being the camera.

Congratulations and enjoy!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
Check the date of manufacture stamp on your tires. I have a 2004 Journey and my tires were made in week 52 of 02 and week 3 of 03 so I will need to replace my tires in another year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read what Michelin says about RV/Motorhome tire service life. Bulletin issued May 15, 2006.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/asset...r-RV-Tires.pdf

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all,
I will have another look at the tires. We put the new camera is yesterday. The old one seemed to have a problem with the iris. I watched it flash and squiggle as we went under bridges and then go out completely as I entered a tunnel. It did start working after the sun went down, but we replaced it anyway based on the posts and recommendations on this forum. The check engine light went out when we added coolant (again, thanks to iRV2!) so we will monitor the situation. My business partner and I bought this to share with our families and for a mobil showroom of sorts from a really nice and smart guy who did most of the service himself as he was a tech. He said the M3 was complete but at 33K another M2 was due. We can do oil and filters but bearings and the real dirty stuff I think we will leave to the experts. That is why I ask the opinion of those in this area (CT)on a local shop. If anyone has a recommendation either way it would be helpful.

Thanks again for your help!

John