Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

03 Journey era Outside Slide Table. Should it stay or go?

Hi - I have the 03 Journey with the radio and large slide out table in the first passenger compartment bay. I keep looking at and my hands itch to remove it. It seems to render a large portion of the storage compartment unusable.

I just don't see myself sitting out there often with the door up and listening to the radio or needing the table. Buuut I'll admit We haven't done any long trips yet and plan to full time in it soon so I may be missing the usefulness of the table. If I did remove it I would find a way to move the box with the radio, 12v connector and the outside TV cable hook up to the side.

Has anyone else removed theirs?
Thought about removing it but glad they didn't?
When did Winnebago stop putting these tables out there?

Thanks
Ben
Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

In the first compartment passenger side on my 04 Journey is a sliding tray - I think for a TV pullout or other items you might want to store for easy access. Don't know if we are talking about the same tray/table. Never thought about taking it out.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Had one on my 94 vectra and never used it. Pull it out and use the extra space.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
In the first compartment passenger side on my 04 Journey is a sliding tray - I think for a TV pullout or other items you might want to store for easy access. Don't know if we are talking about the same tray/table. Never thought about taking it out.
Hi 1ciderdog - On mine its more of a counter or table that slides out from under the radio The problem is all the space behind the radio is wasted because you can't reach it. It's nicely built and sturdy I just hate seeing all that space behind the radio not being usable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8020.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	57851  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had a 2002 Journey with the same set up for 8 years. We never used the outside radio and I used the table only a few times. I thought about removing it but never got around to it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Hi 1ciderdog - On mine its more of a counter or table that slides out from under the radio The problem is all the space behind the radio is wasted because you can't reach it. It's nicely built and sturdy I just hate seeing all that space behind the radio not being usable.

Mine is different - mine is near the bottom and and a almost a full width slide tray - easy sliding to get to items down there so I have a different device. Appears yours is near the top and is a table as you described. Doesn't the compartment lid/cover/hatch interfere with the table?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ben,

our 02 Journey has the same set up. We have not used the table at all and the radio has a buzz sound in the background making it pretty useless too. I'll be following this thread as well to see what others have done with theirs.

Phil

ps: I do use the area behind to store some items we don't use often, like our Christmas decorations.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I've never used my table, never thought of removing it either.

I will say the framework made a great place to mount an articulated arm for the TV I mounted outside
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Hi - I have the 03 Journey with the radio and large slide out table in the first passenger compartment bay. I keep looking at and my hands itch to remove it. It seems to render a large portion of the storage compartment unusable.

I just don't see myself sitting out there often with the door up and listening to the radio or needing the table. Buuut I'll admit We haven't done any long trips yet and plan to full time in it soon so I may be missing the usefulness of the table. If I did remove it I would find a way to move the box with the radio, 12v connector and the outside TV cable hook up to the side.

Has anyone else removed theirs?
Thought about removing it but glad they didn't?
When did Winnebago stop putting these tables out there?

Thanks
Ben
Removed both the table and the radio after having the coach 1 year. Never used it the 1st year and never missed it the last 13 years. Opens up much more space in basement. Keep the 110V outlet and the coax connector for a TV outside if you choose to have one later.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Correction: Haven't missed it in the last 11 years. Math was my best subject. Age is creeping up.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

1ciderdog - The white table top pushes in when not in use and when pulled out you can't close the compartment door.

Thanks everyone for the comments. My wife always looks at me like "here we go again" when I think about a mod. Good to know I'm not the only one thinking this setup was not very handy. Its well built and nice looking just not very useful and those kind of things irk me. Like the radio in the bedroom...doesn't sound very good and takes up night stand space... oh well that's another project.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Winny put it in when it was their coach. Now it's yours!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We use the pull-out table occasionally to watch our outside TV or to hold drink and snack makings. Never thought about removing it, but if yours needs to go--go for it. We store folding camp chairs along side and on top of the table when underway--works for us.

Your call. Good luck.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
some one else had a bad idea

This was just a bad idea. takes up much to much space. Took it out as soon as I realized it was a useless feature that some country boy who thought was needed while he was working at the local 711 and working part time at the winnebago factory. I kept the electrical portion and made a frame to secure it firmly.

we use the space for a variety of flat laying item or folding chairs
Old 03-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Guess I'm different .. I use it all the time .. I/we sit outside as much as possable , read happy hour etc . Radio works fine I mounted a flat screen under the table that pulls out. I use the table to hold my drinks or BBQ tools.
With flat screens on new rigs the tv and radio is now mounted outside behind a flip up door on the slide .. The idea was a space waster back then but is still used in many new coaches. Evidently outside entertainment still sells
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Guess I'm different .. I use it all the time .. I/we sit outside as much as possable , read happy hour etc . Radio works fine I mounted a flat screen under the table that pulls out. I use the table to hold my drinks or BBQ tools.
With flat screens on new rigs the tv and radio is now mounted outside behind a flip up door on the slide .. The idea was a space waster back then but is still used in many new coaches. Evidently outside entertainment still sells
I know many people sit by there MH and enjoy outside living while watching TV. My wife hates mosquitoes and we really don't camp out. It is obvious that everyone uses their MH with difference personal choices. we carry a folding table that we can sit around if desired.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

It's absolutely your coach to mod the way you and Miriam like to camp. We've actually gone the opposite direction and upgraded the radio and installed our outside TV to the slide-out tray. It's become our most used basement bays. We also store the compressor, battery charger and assorted less used items behind the radio/table...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	59339   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	59340  

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	59341  
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Ron- That looks pretty slick! Before I started this thread I hadn't even thought of storing things behind it and I may just do what I do a lot of times when I'm not sure. I'll sit and stare at it for a long while every now and then to see what ideas pop in my head. It drives Miriam crazy to see me doing that.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Ben. That's the "bad" thing about parking our bus outside the front door of our brick n stick...I sit and look out the window at all the "new projects" I can come up with!
Cindy's even worse than me...she's busy on the computer checking out the new back-splash patterns for the galley and what's new in the way of window coverings while I mod the outside. I'm so glad we bought this old coach rather than some exotic sports car that only I could enjoy...
Happy Campin!
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Thank you Ben. That's the "bad" thing about parking our bus outside the front door of our brick n stick...I sit and look out the window at all the "new projects" I can come up with!
Cindy's even worse than me...she's busy on the computer checking out the new back-splash patterns for the galley and what's new in the way of window coverings while I mod the outside. I'm so glad we bought this old coach rather than some exotic sports car that only I could enjoy...
Happy Campin!
I sure wish I could do as good-a-work as Ron does. I don't get to make the GOOD LOOKING stuff like he does. All I get to do is fix broken stuff on mine. Nice looking engine turnings on the radio backings Ron.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, slide