Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We am looking to buy a 36' Journey. I am looking at 2. One is a '03 DL 36GD, the other is a '04 36G.

I am trying to determine if there are any significant differences between the 2 models other than the engine and some amenities.

The emotional value of the 2 seem to be about equal.

There is a rather large difference in price so I am trying to get a grip on the real value to see if there is a difference between to 2 that warrants paying the premium on the '04.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We am looking to buy a 36' Journey. I am looking at 2. One is a '03 DL 36GD, the other is a '04 36G.

I am trying to determine if there are any significant differences between the 2 models other than the engine and some amenities.

The emotional value of the 2 seem to be about equal.

There is a rather large difference in price so I am trying to get a grip on the real value to see if there is a difference between to 2 that warrants paying the premium on the '04.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bill:

You might want to go to the Winnebago web site and using 'Previous Model Years' function, download the brochures for each of those rigs.

The DL designation in some model years (not sure when they quit) was a rig with more features, bigger engine, 6 speed vs. 5 speed Allson, etc.

Obviously, some of the price difference is due to the '03 vs. '04. At any rate, in a 36' rig, I'd suggest you get the 330/350hp engine with the 6 speed Allison if you have that choice.

Might also want to check NADA on both rigs and see how they have them priced. NADA is only a guide, of course, and the general concensus is, in the current market, you can get a rig below the NADA 'low retail' figure without adding options.

Good luck with the shopping and let us know how it goes.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Bill- that's good advise from smlranger (as usual). Pay particular attention to the options available and compare them to the 2 you're looking at. Some of the options are very pricey (aluminum wheels, washer/dryer, big frig, full body paint, 3M protective front coating to protect the FBP, TripTek computer, etc.).

The engines are basically the same - the C-7 is a reduced pollution engine, but the HP and torque are the same and apparently so is the mpg.

One distinct difference is that the '03 has 235/80x22.5 tires and the '04 has 255/80x22.5 tires. This gives the '04 about 1000# more GVWR. You would probably need to replace the tires on the '03 in the next couple of years and you could go to a bigger tire. Many on this forum have done that. Technically it doesn't change your GVWR, but you could be more comfortable running close to the limit. Check the forward wall inside the bedroom closet for a weight sticker and see how they compare.

We love our '04, but it's mostly the floorplan and the near perfect (IMHO) combination of the Cat engine and Allison 3000MH. You would have those items in the '03 too, so look closely at the options and weights. I really don't think you can make a mistake here so pick one and start enjoying!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Good comments from previous posters.

Wasn't 2004 the year they changed the front cap/headlights from the round to the cat-eye configuration? Also, full body paint as an option? That may account for the price bump...

Between the two coaches, overall maintenance history and coach systems performance should influence your choice...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi - I just couldn't help but chime in. I own a 2004 36G and have noticed a couple of things.

1) 2004 is the year they did away with 'DL'. The items that generally made up the 'DL' in 2003 were changed in 2004 to the optional 'Z package'

2) 2004 showed a different headlight package.

3) Jan 2004 saw a new requirement on the engine that forced the C7 designation. Any 2004 motorhomes manufactured before that date with the 330 CAT engine could have the last of the production of the 3126E. This engine series went through a progressive transformation at CAT and may or may not have all the changes required on Jan 1, 2004. For example, mine was manufactured in October 2003 and has the 3126E engine but had the new greaseless bearing on the fan that is standard on the C7. That is a real labor saver.

4) the 2004 has the standard large 7 pin trailer connector wiring. The 2003, at least the early production had the small connector.

5) the 2004 has 255/80R22.5 tires and the 2003 had 235/80R22.5 with the same GVWR ratings.

I hope I have been helpful.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Interesting. This will help a lot! What do you all think of the smart steering wheel? Is it a maintenance problem?
Old 03-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I don't know much about the Smart Wheel, having never driven a machine with one. I can imagine that it should be dependable though. Many coach manufacturers offer the option. Almost everything on the wheel has to operate through relays and one's imagination could conceive of many problems.

My own opinion is that because the smart wheel is concerned with driving, it would be of little use unless you spent a lot of time 'driving'. Your own feelings have to be the sole determiner.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Bill - I'm a bit confused about the tire/GVWR thing. Carle's comment that GVWR was the same made me do some checking. The Freightliner website indicates that the Cat powered DLs (34-36-39) got the 255/80 tires and the higher weight rating of 27,910#. However, the Winnie brochure for the '03 36DL indicates a GVWR of 26850#. May just be a printing mistake on Winnie's part or a mid-year change. If it's important to you, just check the tire size and weight sticker on the '03 you're looking at...

I don't have the smart wheel, but would like to. I bought off the lot, but would probably have ordered it if I had gone that route. I know at least one of our forum members had a smart wheel that failed and was repaired under warranty. No problems after that. Haven't heard of other problems.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Tom, you are probably correct about the smaller GVWR with the smaller tires. I was going on memory as I had a friend that had a 2003 36G just like mine and we did a lot of comparing while our coaches were parked side-by-side at a rally. I had a brochure at one time. However, the labels by the driver's seat should be noted.

Speaking of GVWR, shortly after we got our motorhome, we were traveling and while at a PILOT center we had it weighed at their CAT scale. Two persons, full fuel, full fresh water, empty holding tanks and packed for travel, the motorhome weighed 23,940 lbs. In my mind, that's a good margin against the 27,910 GVWR.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Bill: You asked about the SMART WHEEL. I have had no problems with our Smart Wheel and it is nice to have everything at your finger tips.

Also, the full body paint and other mentioned additions to the '04s are all great features and a worth a few dollars more. Good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Look here for previous model year brochures.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...dels/index.php
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote