Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I am entering this on behalf of my Father-in-Law. He owns an 02 Adventurer 32V. There are dime sized circles near the bottom of the top fiberglass siding that has the fiberglass coming off. One can see the insulation. Any direction from your point(s) of view would be appreciated.
KenGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I am entering this on behalf of my Father-in-Law. He owns an 02 Adventurer 32V. There are dime sized circles near the bottom of the top fiberglass siding that has the fiberglass coming off. One can see the insulation. Any direction from your point(s) of view would be appreciated.
KenGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Contact Winnebago. They have had problems such as you describe and have been replacing some of the sidewalls. You'll have to go to the factory if they determine yours needs replaced.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

KenGe: The problem is real, Winnebago knows about it from many of us with the same situation. I think they will tell you first, the wall panels only have a two year warranty. Many of these panels were defective in 01-02. They had mine repaired locally, and so far so good. I do know of cases that went to the factory for replacements. Who footed the bill I don't know. I do know the re-sale value of your coach will be vastly deminished if they are not fixed.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

While we were at Winnebago for factory service a couple of months ago, we were next to an Adventurer of your vintage with the exact same problem. Winnie was replacing both sidewalls as a good-will gesture. I saw the coach in the service bay with one of the sidewalls removed which was a very strange sight. I later saw the finished result and it looked almost like it rolled right off the assembly line.

Winnie did a good job of matching the interior components and he would up with an essentially rebuilt interior as well.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My 2000 32V Adventurer had both sidewalls replaced at the factory at no expense to me other than driving it there and driving it back. Gas wasn't as expensive 2 years ago when the work was performed. Winnebago said that they had a bad batch of fiberglass for some coaches made in April-May 2000. I first had to take it to a local dealer, who did a good job patching the affected areas. However, the problem reappeared the following spring and Winnebago decided to replace both sidewalls. When I dropped off my RV, I noticed another year 2000 Adventurer being repaired with the same problem. The technicians there said that it wasn't uncommon. Good luck
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

God Bless Winnebago! Six years out and they are going to replace my sidewalls at no charge to me. I have to get the coach to them during off season. I will be leaving shortly for the factory. I just need a weather window that will permit safe driving, pulling a toad.
I am so glad they have agreed to stand behind this problem. The coach would rapidly become worthless in a short time. No one is going to buy any thing that looks like mine does.
My next RV will be a Winnebago for certain.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
God Bless Winnebago! Six years out and they are going to replace my sidewalls at no charge to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Homer, that's great to hear! Thanks for letting us know.

Thank You Winnebago Industries!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Way to go, Winne . Outstanding, for sure.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago replaced a side wall in our Journey this past January. They did a fantastic job !! If you didn't know it was replaced, you wouldn't know it was replaced. I can't say enough about the great people I met while there. It was well worth the trip.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Maybe you could get them to change out your foggy windows while there at it. I seem to have the rear panel with the popping off of the dime sized fiberglass surface. My sides are ok for now.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Good for you Homer. When Winnebago replaced both of my sidewalls, they did a superb job. In fact, the tech said it was reassembled better than when it left the factory. I also had them fix a few other things--something to consider

alex
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

ALEX: Thanks for the input. I do have a couple of things that I would like repaired while there. I will have to see what their schedule will allow. One is the fan to the motoraide heating system. Really glad to hear you were satisfied on your repair.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Homer,

We were at the factory in October to have our rear end cap replaced. In addition to the scheduled job, they allow you three other items to be looked at and repaired.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

DING-A-LING: Thanks for this information. I do have a couple of items the factory could do much better than a dealer.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Homer...

Just curious....How did you get Winnebago to do it at no cost...Did you just call and explain it to them...Anyway, Good deal from a good company especially in these tough times...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:28 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I too would like to know what you have to do to get them to react. I have a crack in the side wall ,like many others and they wouldn't do a thing.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I wish I had a magic answer for you, but I don't. We have been talking and working on this problem since 2003. Fixed originally by a RV body shop. It did not hold. It is so extensive now that the pictures tell the story. It is not cracks, it is what they call POP's, and it's a defect in the exterior board as I understand it. I really do not know the technicalities of the problem.
Yes all of our conversations have been cordial and in earnest. They have been good to work with.