Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

01 Journey fuel filter

How do you change the fuel filter on the journey? Seems like i need a small oil filter wrench and get at it from the top of the engine but it looks nearly impossible to access. Anyone change this themselves?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have the 2002 so not sure our set up is the same. However, if you have the CAT 3126, Winnebago had FL install only one fuel filter with a water separator on the bottom. That filter is just inside the lower grill at the rear. I don't believe that small cannister you are seeing at the top of the engine is one you can easily remove.

Hopefully, someone with the '01 model will weigh in on this.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Many Winnies of your vintage only had the one filter. If you happen to have the engine mounted one, it can be removed with a strap wrench or a large pair of water pump pliers (Channelocks).
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My '00, with Cummins engine, has the separator on the rear and the filter on the engine. It is accessed from the top,under the bed, and has a screw on lid. All you need to remove the lid is a strap wrench or I just used a large screwdriver as the top looks like a crown nut. Raise the bed, remove the engine cover and there it is.

Bought my new filters from Welcome to Filterbarn™ | Discount Oil Filters | Discount Air And Fuel Filters | Heavy Equipment and Diesel Engine Filters
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I have the 2002 so not sure our set up is the same. However, if you have the CAT 3126, Winnebago had FL install only one fuel filter with a water separator on the bottom. That filter is just inside the lower grill at the rear. I don't believe that small cannister you are seeing at the top of the engine is one you can easily remove.

Hopefully, someone with the '01 model will weigh in on this.
I have seen the canister filter??? smlranger mentions on the curb side/top of the engine but, as I recall, it says "do not remove". My CAT has only one filter on the rear outside of the radiator and is accessible from the rear. Just make sure you have a full tank of fuel, from what I have read on this forum, and fill your new one with CLEAN diesel before install.
Richard
Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

rshackleford-----The 2001 winnies with cat 3126b motors have two filters. The filter you are looking at on the right side top of the motor is not hard to change if you have the right tools. Use a vice gip chain wrench to grab filter close to the top of filter so as not to crush the can, place wrech handle over the air comp, now use a crow bar about 3ft long with one end of bar on head of comp. and the middle of bar on handle of wrench. This will give you the leverage to push the wench to break the filter loose. Just canged mine this way today and boy was the filter tight but this work fine ..good luck hope this helps
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Autofish,

That's the info i was looking for!

Thanks!!