Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Zamp solar on a Micro Mini 2106 fds

I have a 2018 Winnebago Micro Mini 2106. I’m wanting to get set up with the Zamp solar panels this camper says to be “ready” for. Has anyone done this? I’m wanting to live off grid full time using solar and need to be able to run a fridge and A/C unit all day and night during the summer months of Texas. Ideas? Does it work? Any advice is appreciated
Celtic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Living The Dream

Zamp equipment is very pricey, like 4x other options. You’ll want to investigate to see what you want.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You can't run your AC off of solar power without a very large investment in equipment. Even with many thousands of $$$ thrown at it, the required panels wouldn't fit on the roof, requiring additional panels on the ground, a very large battery bank, inverter and charge controllers.

Basically almost nobody uses solar to run their RV A/C. They use shore power or a generator. Solar is used to keep your batteries charged, and inverters are used for smaller or short term loads.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Will a gas generator run an A/C unit day and night? Or would it cost way to much in gas? I live in the country and want off grid.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Can a different brand be purchased and used with this rig that is “Zamp solar panel ready”?
Old 01-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic74 View Post
Can a different brand be purchased and used with this rig that is “Zamp solar panel ready”?
I believe the Zamp solar connector is simply two wires to the battery (12V and ground). It does not include a charge controller or anything else. Thus, it isn’t terribly special. I bought a 10W solar battery tender and routed it through the zamp solar port on my old fifth-wheel to help keep the batteries charged between trips.

I’d research and plan your solar system without too much regard for that Zamp solar connector.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
I’m wanting to live off grid full time using solar and need to be able to run a fridge and A/C unit all day and night during the summer months of Texas. Ideas? Does it work? Any advice is appreciated
Not going to happen. Not with solar or lithium batteries or anything like your “Dream”.

You can achieve this but you’ll need a 3500w generator and a large supply of fuel.

Perhaps one day 15-20 years from now this would be possible with solar. Not now.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That is what I was afraid of. Thank you for the information
Old 01-27-2021, 04:30 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You can achieve this but you’ll need a 3500w generator and a large supply of fuel.
I would add that a residential/RV gasoline generator just isn't designed to stand up to 24/7 use. With good maintenance, you might get 2,000 hours run time. That's less than 90 days.

Living off-grid means giving up luxuries like air conditioning. It's much more feasible in cooler climates, as heating is far easier than cooling.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:44 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

When I was growing up in southern California none of my classmates lived in houses with air conditioners and even friends in the Palm Springs area did not have AC. The advantage of an RV is being able to move it to where the weather is better at a given time of the year. In past years the "snow birds" would travel south for warmer weather and with global warming the reverse is a likely trend in future years.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:56 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Yes, You could buy any solar kit with controller built in and plug it into the Zamp plug on the wall of the trailer. This plug just provides power to the pre wired solar panel with controller. IE (Renogy Suitcase)

If the panel kit is not made by Zamp, you have to reverse the wires from the battery as Zamp uses the male pin on the wall plug as + and everyone else uses the female socket as the +

Do you have a picture of where Winnebago mounted the plug on your 2018 2106?
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

My friend built a swamp cooler out of a small water pump, a transmission cooler and a fan. He installed it over the side door of his 2 car garage in vegas. On a 15 amp circuit , but i am guessing it drew about an amp.Swamp coolers work pisa in dry climates. Don't use too much energy and keep the heat at bay. Summertime he could keep the garage at about 75-80 degrees. Better than 110. Don't ask me particulars, I am sure you can find a you tube video.All the old houses in Vegas had roof top swamp coolers.
bostonmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Question on Zamp. I have a connection outside the trailer 2018 Micro 2108DS. Where exactly does it go? Where do I cut into it to install controller?
Old 11-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonmary View Post
Question on Zamp. I have a connection outside the trailer 2018 Micro 2108DS. Where exactly does it go? Where do I cut into it to install controller?
It probably goes to the junction box under the trailer then up to the battery using common/central wiring. Most plug-in-systems would have the controller associated with the panels (The Renogy 200w Suitcase model does). If you wanted a controller in the trailer you would have to put it in line with the lamp outlet before the wires join the central electrical system.
Tgbyrne716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

What gauge wire ink the Zamp plug?

What is the capacity of the wires between the Zamp outlet and the battery? What gauge wire?
Tgbyrne716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:27 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgbyrne716 View Post
What is the capacity of the wires between the Zamp outlet and the battery? What gauge wire?
The Zamp plug connected to the battery is wired to supply 12 volts to a solar panel with built in controller. You can typically run up to 20 feet of solar cable from the controller on the panel to the zamp plug. Remember to check polarity, Zamp polarity is different from pretty much everyone else.

Some aftermarket solar panel wires come with the polarity reverse coupler.

The Renogy suitcase comes with battery alligator clips and you would have to buy the SAE cables. I believe the cables are available in 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 40 feet. Remember With the controller at the panel, 20 feet max of cable.

If you want to be able to move the solar panel further than 20 feet, mount the controller in the trailer. Remove the Zamp wires from the battery and wire them to the panel terminals on the controller. Run new wires from the battery terminals on the controller to the battery. (Don't forget inline fuses). moving the controller and wiring it this way now makes the Zamp plug a Solar Panel in.

Note: the battery power is for the Controller not the solar panel itself. The Solar panel provides volts/amps through the controller to the battery. The controller regulates that current.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:09 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Had a renogy controller pretty new that quit 2 weeks into a 6 week "walkabout" in the words of crocodile Dundee. Went back to my less expensive, reliable Sunsaver. Was still going strong after 4 years in my cargo trailer. Anyway I hope toinstalla couple of flexible panels on unit and use a100 watt rigid panel I never unboxed as a mobile panel. I guess I'll bypass thezamp plug.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

The standard sidewall Zamp “solar ready” port is connected directly to the battery with no charge controller between them. That means the charge controller must be on the solar panel. And, that typically means you’ll have a pwm controller. And that means that the longer the cable between panel and battery, the larger the voltage drop will be, and hence a much lower charge amperage. Putting a mppt controller near the battery, and no controller on the panel means you’ll be sending near the maximum voltage output of the panel to the charge controller with virtually no voltage drop. With panel connected to mppt near the battery, you can run a 30ft 10awg cable between the panel and the sidewall with negligible voltage drop. It’s more expensive, but the mppt setup will provide far more charge amperage during a daytime sun cycle than a on-panel pwm setup. So, you’re already ready to go by just plugging in a suitcase with pwm into your Zamp port, but you do have to insure that you get the polarity correct at the port. However, that setup will deliver disappointing charging if the cable is long.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:33 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I followed Jim's lead and switched out my Renogy suitcase to the MPPT Controller in the trailer and never looked back.

You can check out my album for more details.

Tags
solar