Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Your advice for inverter install 08 view and charger upgrade

My system is stock. (Parallax 7300 Series Electronic Converter/Charger, 45 Amp; model 7345). Includes the AC/DC distribution center.

I already have LifeLine AGMs, group 24). Yep, I know from other forum discussions that it isn’t good to have these with the Parallax charger that Winnebago uses. Parallax support claims it is fine, but ideally I should be using a 3 stage charger or better for longest battery life. When parked, I charge & condition the batteries with a CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger (8 stage) to make up for the Parallax limitations. If we’re honest, when driving, the charging of the AGMs also isn’t done with a multistage charger. It’s done with the alternator of the RV itself (single stage charging). The benefit of multistage comes in to play when parked.

Anyway… What I’m hoping to achieve is a budget conscious, reliable/viable solution for updating the stock charging system to achieve as follows:

*3 stage (or better) charging to better care for my AGM batteries

*Either wire and install a couple of new receptacles (labeled, different in color) that go to the inverter only, or consider a subpanel / transfer switch near the existing electrical distribution where I can activate the loads that I want to add (I.E. microwave, etc.) or allow those loads only to already be able to passthrough the inverter, thereby avoiding the complexity of added wiring. The Tripplite inverter/charger below for example already allows for 110v passthrough.

*Inverter (500 watts minimum) to support future upgrades of TV (presently is Jensen 12-volt model, most alternatives are 110v), laptop use, and use of a charger for medical equipment (IV pump). Desired would be 1000 watt or greater to support very brief microwave use (600 watt model) as needed when shore power is not available or we don’t want to start the generator at 7 AM or on day trips to disturb others.

I know that pure sine wave is the best option for electronics. My prior RV had a Tripplite inverter/charger much like the APS1250. https://www.tripplite.com/1250w-powe...tlets~APS1250/ (3 stage charging, auto transfer, modified sine wave, about $400 on Amazon). It worked fine, including with electronics, although the fan ran 7x24 when active, even when not under load. There likely are comparable or better out there today.
With Winnebago’s decision to have the Parallax system that includes the charger and a full AC/DC distribution panel, I have a conundrum of options:

(1) upgrade the system with the likes of the Progressive Dynamics (PD4655V) 55 Amp Converter/Charger with Built-In Charge Wizard (4 stage) that is purpose built to swap out the existing charger and, thus continue to use it for its original purpose with upgraded electronics and install a dedicated, separate inverter; or (2) bypass the Parallax charge/12 volt supply completely, still using the distribution panel, and use an inverter that has an integrated charger for inverting, 12 volt appliance power and battery charging; or (3) continue to use the Parallax for running 12 volt items in the RV, but permanently install my CTek 8 stage charger for battery care/maintenance only (bypass the Parallax there, but still use it for 120 to 12v conversion for 12v appliance use) and install a separate dedicated inverter.

I know that some other View owners have gone with option 1. It seems to have the greatest appeal in terms of simplicity and keeping things fairly “stock”. Option 2 seems to align to how most modern RVs are configured today, but has some possible complexities with disabling use of the Parallax charge controller. Option 3 is certainly non-standard, but has the potential for best care of the batteries. I expect I would need to install a battery isolator so that the battery still can send power to the 12 volt circuits through the Parallax when there is no shore (or generator) power, but the battery is blocked from receiving a charge voltage from the Parallax.

I’m in early stages, so input is very much appreciated. I’ve downloaded the wiring diagrams from Winnebago, install guides from Parallax, etc.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Just Trying to Help

wanderso-

This is not a Winnebago-only thing, or even a View-only thing.

We've owned two 30A coaches. Both have/had converters, and are/were wired off a feed from the 120VAC power center. I was interested in replacing the converters with inverters, and went through the same options you are considering. The biggest problem is that our coaches did not have space to add a sub-panel for inverter-fed loads- at least, not to easily add a sub-panel. Without being able to split the loads, I would have had to go to whole-house inversion, which brings along with it the problem of making sure the air conditioner never runs off the inverter.

Also, if I planned to invert enough to run the microwave, hair dryers, the washer/dryer. etc., I would have had to up the battery capacity from 2x6V, 220Ah (AGMs) to at least 4x6V, 440Ah. The extra two batteries adds 125 pounds to the coach, and is all I can fit into the battery bay without modifications.

I took a hard look at how we used the coaches, and concluded that we stayed on shore power enough that I could live without an inverter, running the generator on the few instances we're off of shore power. This is how RVers boondocked for years, and it works for us.

That said, I did replace the first coach's single-stage converter with a PD unit right after I installed new AGM batteries. The current coach came with a PD converter. If it fails, I'll replace it in-kind.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mark, thanks for your real world experience above, especially swap out to the PD charging unit. We also have found the two AGMs as sufficient for our uses thus far, with the one exception being a minimum need to charge an infusion pump that only has a 110v "wall wart" option and generator use if off grid for use of the microwave. Technically, I might be able to get away with upgrading to the PD charger and a small PSW inverter (300 watt) installed near the battery bank under the entry steps, using the inverter only for this purpose and charging a laptop.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Just Trying to Help

wanderso-

Your idea to upgrade the converter and add a small stand-alone inverter would be the way I'd go.

You might want to look closely at the "wall wart." What's the output voltage and current listed on the label? I believe some infusion pumps can run on 12V. I used 12V to run my "computer room" server and router; the power comes directly from a fused connection off the house batteries. This is obviously not a "life safety" application, but it would help to know if you have options for powering the pump.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Mark - great question on the wall wart. Believe it or not, it outputs 2 voltages: 10V (300mA) and 24V (500 mA). The infusion pump will run for several hours on a 9V battery, but not long enough for a full infusion treatment. The wall wart will run the infusion pump on AC or charge a battery pack that the portable pump uses that does have enough amp hours to run the pump for a day's infusion. Due to this AC adapter being so unusual with a connector I've not had on any other electronic device, I think I need to be careful in what is used with it as it would be difficult to find a replacement.

For a cleaner install, I've wondered about running heavier cable from the battery to the converter, along with a 30 amp screw terminal block where the inverter and charger tie in together to a single run from the battery. This would allow the inverter to be located on the wall by the charger rather than in the step well or under the dinette.

Tags
advice, install, inverter, upgrade