Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I installed an XM radio in my 2004 Adventurer and for now the antenna is sitting on the dash up against the windshield. This is of course a less than ideal location for the antenna. Any high buildings, trees, or even driving north has an adverse effect on how well the XM radio works. Does anyone have any great ideas of where to mount the XM antenna to improve how well it works? Ideas with pictures would even be better.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Paul

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I installed an XM radio in my 2004 Adventurer and for now the antenna is sitting on the dash up against the windshield. This is of course a less than ideal location for the antenna. Any high buildings, trees, or even driving north has an adverse effect on how well the XM radio works. Does anyone have any great ideas of where to mount the XM antenna to improve how well it works? Ideas with pictures would even be better.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Paul

2004 Adventurer 38R
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

PaulC,

Do you have a dvd/vcr player in your front overhead cabinet on the passenger side? If so, remove the decorative piece around it and you should see the metal front frame of the coach. Put the magnetic antenna there.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I used a Simpson tie plate (bought at Lowe's) that was about three by six inches and attached it to the roof with stainless screws. The magnetic XM antenna sticks nicely to the ferrous plate.

The wiring came into the dash cabinet and down the "A" pillar and through the dash to where my Roadie sits.

I found an inside antenna worked fine in the southern half of the US but once you got too far north, it was not optimal with frequent signal drop-outs. Installing the antenna on top of the front cap was well worth the trouble. We had a usable system well up into Canada and even far SE Alaska

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I used a Simpson tie plate (bought at Lowe's) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I gotta know....what is a Simpson tie plate
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Gary - Simpson Strong-Tie makes all kinds of little plates for tying rafters to walls, joists to walls, plates to tie two pieces of wood together. Usually they are in the lumber section of HD/Lowe's.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I got it now. thanks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

John,

No problem with the Simpson plate rusting? Did you run the antenna lead into the interior through a hole that you placed under the plate?

Thanks for the idea.

Paul

2004 Adventurer 38R
Old 09-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I mounted the antenna on the metal plate where my air horns are on the roof (magnet stuck very well and does not move -- as an added safety, I used one cable tie around one of the airhorns). Then I ran the wire to the driver's side windshield outside metal molding. I removed the molding and about 2 inches below the top of the molding I had a hole that was large enough for the antenna end to go through. Don't know why that hole was there ? After I found it and ran the antenna wire through it, I did seal the hole with silicone even though there was no evidence of rust anywhere. Once inside, I ran it under the driver's side trim piece inside the coach and then to my Roadie that I have mounted on my dash above the radio.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:
John,

No problem with the Simpson plate rusting? Did you run the antenna lead into the interior through a hole that you placed under the plate?

Thanks for the idea.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Paul - the plate is galvanized and after a year on the roof, it's doing fine. I mounted the plate where it is not near any obstruction because I wanted as much clear line of sight as possible at low look angles. I figured out from inside the dash cabinet where I needed to bring a hole through the roof. The hole is probably a foot from the plate. I just used a dab of caulk every four or five inches to secure the wire to the top of the roof.

Dave has a good idea of using the horns as a mounting point. I looked at using mine but couldn't figure out how to do it and meet my objectives.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

John,

Got it...Thanks again. Sounds like a good way to accomplish what I want to do. How did you seal the hole where the wire goes through the roof? Just caulk?

Thanks for all your help and ideas.

Paul

2004 Adventurer 38R
Old 09-12-2007, 05:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Paul - I used a cover plate designed for a cable entrance. It is sort of like a little clam shell with a raised trough that a wire(s) can fit into. The cover plate screws to the roof (with caulk in it) and makes a great seal. Sorry, but I cannot find it on the Internet to show you what it looks like. I bought mine either in Forest City or some other RV store. Not sure if CW carries it - couldn't find it there either.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I bought a steel cookie sheet and put it above the tv receiver compartment top in the space below the fiberglass front cap roof. It works fine and is out of the weather.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Bob Russo. I have mine overhead in the cabinet above the driver. Front and top are fiberglasss. I ran the wire down the "A" post. It works great, no holes. No reception problems driving in any direction. Tall buildings and dense trees still affect it but I don't believe an outside antenna would be any better.
Tom

2007 Sunrise 35L
TB-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I used 5200 and stuck it on the roof. Been there for 20,0000 miles. I did not have luck putting it in the cabinet...even though I know that works...here in the house it shoots through the roof just fine.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

In my coach I have a Sirius Satelite Radio interface built into the Radio. This meant that there was a Sat Radio Ant already on the roof. So I found where that lead came into the Sirius Box and tried using it on my XM Radio. What do you know, it worked. No mods required. Placed a dash mount like the one in my car so all I have to do is pull the radio from my car and plug it into the mount in the RV. Very simple and works like a champ. I even used the internal AUX input to the RV Radio rather than use the FM Broadcast option.
Frank O.