Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2022, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Xantrex 458 Inverter details?

My Freedom 15 died. Does anyone know if the was a PURE SINE Inverter/charger?
I was told to replace it with the Xantrex 458. I did. 1st time I used the INVERT while driving, a new hair dryer turned itself on. It would not shut off at the switch. Unplugged it and it wouldn't work when we got to shore power.
RV shop said they sold me a MODIFIED
SINE Inverter/charger. I have read that style (modified) can damage micro processor boards, newer residential fridge, computers.
Of that's the case...
What good are MODIFIED SINE units?
The Xantrex is 3 months old. Charges great. Panel says good numbers on INVERT, BUT I do not use.
Buy a new PURE SINE?
Indy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #2
Site Team

According to your Freedom 15 owners manual it is a 1,500w Modified Sine Wave inverter/charger. And the Xantrex 458 is also a Modified Sine Wave inverter only it is available in both 2000w and 2500w models.

So, you replaced a modified sine wave inverter charger with another modified sine wave inverter charger.

You probably should have looked at the FREEDOM XC 2000 which is a 2000w Pure Sine Wave inverter. The two are about the same price
Old 11-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am lookimg at the XC 2000. I was hoping that PPL would sell me the proper unit for this day and age, instead of cleaning out their old stock.
What could a MODIFIED SINE be possibly good for?
Indy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Other than your microwave (which will cook more slowly) and various medical apparatus, there is very little a sine wave inverter will do for you. That's all basically hype. I've owned a half a dozen inverters and never once needed sine wave. The old Freedom 10/20's were bulletproof. I cannot say the same for the new high frequency models.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Bob View Post
My Freedom 15 died. Does anyone know if the was a PURE SINE Inverter/charger?
I was told to replace it with the Xantrex 458. I did. 1st time I used the INVERT while driving, a new hair dryer turned itself on. It would not shut off at the switch. Unplugged it and it wouldn't work when we got to shore power.
RV shop said they sold me a MODIFIED
SINE Inverter/charger. I have read that style (modified) can damage micro processor boards, newer residential fridge, computers.
Of that's the case...
What good are MODIFIED SINE units?
The Xantrex is 3 months old. Charges great. Panel says good numbers on INVERT, BUT I do not use.
Buy a new PURE SINE?
Many years back I had a coach with a Xantrex inverter. It was a MSW. It just didn't treat my equipment well. The power from any MSW inverter is not motor friendly, will destroy residential electric blankets and is very inefficient. I upgraded to a Magnum PSW inverter and was much happier with the way things ran.
I found a very good source for inverters: https://www.donrowe.com/Power-Inverters-s/1814.htm
Check them out. Size your inverter to your battery bank. If you can increase your bank size to accommodate a larger inverter, you might consider doing so.

https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energ...2-p/ms2812.htm This is the inverter that I have and installed in my last coach. It has been very reliable. With the latest version and the ME-RC50 Remote Control, yo can charge Lithium batteries.
There are many inverter choices available to you. DonRowe is a good place to look.

Tags
inverter, xantrex