Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Can someone help me interpret the wiring diagram. (08 35J Sightseer) Have figured everything out for wiring in an inverter using the Winnie pre-installed 12/110V wiring except the 110V hookup.

See Sheet 4, Page 05 of the install diagram here. Note the recept Pur Rcp-1 (Ref) and detail DB. I found this in the coach and the wire is marked as described and is a loop as show in 49A (without inverter.

The receptacle has fake plug holes...i.e., the cover has the indentations like a normal plug receptacle but they are solid...i.e., there are no holes. I haven't figured out how to get the cover off to see what is inside but from the drawing it looks like there is just an uncut wire passing through it?

In detail 40B it seems that a real plug needs to be installed and the power cord gets plugged into it. But what is the "Pur 2 Throw-in wire and where does that go?

Thanks much in advance! Steve
Old 12-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Can someone help me interpret the wiring diagram. (08 35J Sightseer) Have figured everything out for wiring in an inverter using the Winnie pre-installed 12/110V wiring except the 110V hookup.

See Sheet 4, Page 05 of the install diagram here. Note the recept Pur Rcp-1 (Ref) and detail DB. I found this in the coach and the wire is marked as described and is a loop as show in 49A (without inverter.

The receptacle has fake plug holes...i.e., the cover has the indentations like a normal plug receptacle but they are solid...i.e., there are no holes. I haven't figured out how to get the cover off to see what is inside but from the drawing it looks like there is just an uncut wire passing through it?

In detail 40B it seems that a real plug needs to be installed and the power cord gets plugged into it. But what is the "Pur 2 Throw-in wire and where does that go?

Thanks much in advance! Steve
Old 12-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Steve

Are you installing the factory inverter?

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Don't think so because they are about $450 for a MSW 300 watt. I don't think I'll go beyond about 600 watts given the size of the pre-wired 12V wires. All we really care about is one that would power a 32" LCD with DirecTV DVR and a laptop. From what I've read, the wiring principle is the same if I can figure out that 110V setup. Steve
Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Steve,
It seems to me that "Pur 2 Throw-in wire" just goes to chassis ground - connect it to the motorhome metal frame somewhere convenient. I deduce that from the labeling "GROUND" on the inverter.

What you call a receptacle with fake plug holes is just a junction box. I've had them apart before an I seem to remember I used a smaller screw driver to push in a plastic tab(s) that allowed the cover to slide off. It's been a while and my memory is fuzzy on that. If you're going to use a standard receptacle box, then it's no big deal to just break apart the one that's there now.

Good Luck,
Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

It looks like Duner got it right.

I called Winnie Owner Relations before I saw this and they stated the same thing. Just replace that blank with a real one and plug it in. And, the throw in, as Duner said, goes to chassis ground. Thanks Duner!

I'm still very impressed with Winnie! Having all these diagrams avail is fantastic and they back it up with knowledgeable folks like Jay at OR----that is a great combo.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:

I called Winnie Owner Relations before I saw this and they stated the same thing. Just replace that blank with a real one and plug it in. And, the throw in, as Duner said, goes to chassis ground. Thanks Duner!

I'm still very impressed with Winnie! Having all these diagrams avail is fantastic and they back it up with knowledgeable folks like Jay at OR----that is a great combo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually from the diagram it looks like a 3-wire AC connection rather than just a ground. There are several other places in the wiring diagrams which refer to 'Throw-in wires' and they also look like 3-wire 110V connections.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hmmmm What's a 3 wire connection? Like in the house with a black, white and a copper ground? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Yes, that's what I meant.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:

Thanks Duner! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome Steve. I've been into the schematics on my rig a few times. It's good to have them but they sure are hard to follow sometimes (and I have a BSEE degree).

Regarding the Winnie support, I was at the factory in July for the GNR and met the electrical design engineer that worked on my 04 Chieftain. He gave a seminar on the Powerline EMS where about 100 attended. Afterwards he was manning the support booth and I had a chance to spend some one-on-one time with him. I was quite impressed with the support Winnie provides at the GNR. I'll be there again next summer if all goes well.

A BIG THANK YOU TO WINNEBAGO CUSTOMER SUPPORT!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Duner: I sent you a PM because it is a dumb question Sometimes it is hard here to see when you have a PM.