Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winny owner self-replacing rear camera

This is for any Winny owners who have done a rear camera replacement themselves. Is it really as simple as the Operating Instructions show by disconnecting the cable, loosing the two 6mm hex bolts, rotating the bolts to the large hole, and removing the camera? Then replacement would be a reversal of the above and taping the cable connection back together? This really sounds too easy, there must be fly in the ointment somewhere. Most repair instructions overly simplify the procedure.

I'm on vacation in Colorado and around 250 miles from a dealer so it would be a lot easier to have it shipped to me and I will install it myself.

Any heads-up on this will be greaty appreciated. Nothing beats personal experience.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2,

Yes, it is that easy.....unless you drop the cable behind the rear cap. I taped mine securly to the top of the coach till I was ready to re-attach. Good luck.

Dave
Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wagonmater2 - I changed mine several years ago at a campground in MN. I used one of those flimsy 6' CW folding ladders. I'm 6', 215#, 66 years old and not too agile, but it was no problem. The only place it can go bad is if you lose the main cable down inside the rear cap, as Dave said.

Don't tug too hard on the pigtail till you get connection to the main cable out in the open. Once disconnected, either tape it down like Dave, or tie a big loose knot in it like I did. Once that cable is secured, you can take the old camera down the ladder and return with the new one.

I think the tape on the connection is to secure the connection since the whole thing has to be stuffed back into the rear cap and you might need to pull it out in the future. About the worst thing that could happen would be for the pigtail and main cable to separate behind the cap.

I don't want to encourage you to do something you're not comfortable with, but it really was an easy replace (even for an old man!). I was like you and didn't want to drive home without it...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the encourgement Tom. Does the camera have to be detached from the holder and pulled out in order to reach the pigtail connection? My main problem was thinking about trying to hold the camera and get
any tape off the cable in order to disconnect the connection.
Then will the new camera have to be placed back in the holder before or after the pigtail is reattached?
This seems like a job for a person with 3 hands.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 06-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2, I changed the B&W camera that came on this coach with a color one and as Davel and tomsm said it is easy. I'm a whole lot smaller than tomsm which provides it's own challenges at times but still had no problems.

Quote:
Does the camera have to be detached from the holder and pulled out in order to reach the pigtail connection? My main problem was thinking about trying to hold the camera and get
any tape off the cable in order to disconnect the connection.
Then will the new camera have to be placed back in the holder before or after the pigtail is reattached?
After I had the cover removed, I secured the cable before I removed the camera. I didn't want the cable to get away. I did not remove it from the camera until the camera was removed. I connected the new camera to the cable, then the camera to the MH. I had plenty of cable to work with. Someone may have a better way but this worked for me.

Whenever I need to work on anything on the roof I carry supplies up the ladder in a tote type bag I can fit over my shoulder which leaves my arms free. I used this for camera and tools so I only had to make one trip up the ladder.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I actually did mine in 2 steps because I wanted to bring the old camera inside and plug it directly into the monitor to see if maybe I had a cable problem. Found it wasn't the cable so I ordered the new cam from Tim and installed it a couple of days later.

It's been so long I can't remember if the hole in the rear cap is behind the camera or just above it. Either way, I think I unmounted the camera first. As Olive said, there is a lot of slack in the main cable (they probably use the same cable on the 36' & 39' models), so pull a couple of feet of the main cable out. Then you can either tuck the camera under your arm or just let it dangle while you work on the tape. If you drop it, so what, it's already broke anyway. Just don't let go of the main cable!

I understand your hesitancy. Can't remember how many times I've thought "Oh, boy - wish I hadn't started this job!" I never had that feeling with this job...
Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

On the other hand - my camera failed somewhere in TN and I drove to MN without it cause we weren't going to be stopped anywhere long enough to work on it. You get used to it after awhile, but you may find yourself making sharp turns to see if your toad is still there..
Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

To those of you whom replaced your B&W cams/monitors with color, did you have any problems with the fit/finish in the cockpit taking that old looking clunky b/w monitor out and installing a new color one? We have a 2006 Journey and I cant stand that 1960's looking b/w monitor on my dash. Any advise or pictures would be nice. Also, what color units did you replace with? Thanks!!
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Tom - you pretty much fit my scenero. I'm 72, 6'2, weigh approx. 210, and not as agile as I used to be. Have slightly begun to get used to not having the camera after over 600 miles and two mountain passes. Definitely take advantage of all the curves to at least see the shadow of the toad.
Know the feeling "why did I start this". When we got to our 2 week campground in Colorado the rooms extended but the jacks wouldn't go down completely enough for a good level so called HWH. I was told to wait till we were ready to leave for our next stop, bring in the rooms and retract the levelers. But the rooms wouldn't come in so the Tech from HWH said I would need one of the 1/4" caps off one of the tees at the top end of a leveler. But the rear jacks were the only ones with a tee at the top and there was only about 2" between the top of the jack and the bottom of the coach to get a 9/16" wrench in, but not enough room to turn it. He emphasized that I needed that 1/4" cap to block off one of the connections on top of the leveler manifold in order to bring in the rooms. So 40 mile round trip to town to buy one. "Why did I start this instead of calling the roving repair guy from town". But finally after two days and 4 hours on the phone with HWH, got everything going and he mailed me the necessary repair part to our next stop.
Considering very seriously about ordering the camera to be shipped to our next stop.
Thanks again for all the good information. Always great to know what to expect when attempting a job for the first time.

Wagonmaster2
Old 06-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Posted by flashajt
To those of you whom replaced your B&W cams/monitors with color, did you have any problems with the fit/finish in the cockpit taking that old looking clunky b/w monitor out and installing a new color one? We have a 2006 Journey and I cant stand that 1960's looking b/w monitor on my dash. Any advise or pictures would be nice. Also, what color units did you replace with? Thanks!!
flashajt, The only problem I had was that I could not easily remove the mounting bracket for the B&W monitor and the color does not fit it. I did manage to make it fit though. Other than that it was an easy job. There is an adapter pigtail connecting the cable to the color monitor. There is also plastic trim piece to go around the monitor on the outside because the color monitor is LCD so different dimensions than the B&W CRT.

What I would change if I had it to do over is buy the Sony color and just run new cable. I had a Sony in my Adventurer, this is a Voyager and terrible compared to the Sony. The clarity of the picture is not even close to the Sony I had; it pretty much washes out if sun is coming in driver's window and night vision is non existant. I brought this up with their rep last year at GNR and he agreed but did say the visor helps with the sun. It does but not much.

I bought the new camera from RVCams who was recommended on this forum. They had a good price and were very helpful. http://www.RVCams.com
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to BubbaJePH Send a message via Yahoo to BubbaJePH
I have an Itasca Sunstar 30B that did not come with a rear view camera. It is prewired. I was able to fish out the cable from the Sunstar. I bought a Voyager 7" monitor camera system. the hole looks too small for the rubber gasket that secures around the rear camera. I'm gonna work on it tomorrow. I have to find where the monitor in the dash will get it's 12v power.
BubbaJePH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to BubbaJePH Send a message via Yahoo to BubbaJePH
It was an EASY install. Pretty painless too. Works great.
BubbaJePH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Ordered a new camera from Lichtsinn Motors and they promptly mailed it to our next stop. It was there waiting on us when we arrived, installed it the next day and so far everything is looking good.

Sorry about so long in replying but have been in National Forest CG without Internet service. Just came to town and at the city library.

Thanks to all of you for the great help and advice, which I can't even imagine how I could have gotten along without it as I had no idea even where to start trying to diagnose the problem.

Hope I can be as must help to someone else in trouble.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Newby looking for help with monitor cable

My 2000 Itasca is new to me and came without a monitor/rearview camera system but has a prewire cable. I purchased a new colour system that is not compatible with this prewired cable so I want to replace it with the new one having the appropriate fittings. I have successfully installed the monitor but before I attempt the wiring and stringing of the new cable I am looking for help, advise and perhaps a little sympathy. Any suggestions will be well appreciated.
tom 6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 6118 View Post
My 2000 Itasca is new to me and came without a monitor/rearview camera system but has a prewire cable. I purchased a new colour system that is not compatible with this prewired cable so I want to replace it with the new one having the appropriate fittings. I have successfully installed the monitor but before I attempt the wiring and stringing of the new cable I am looking for help, advise and perhaps a little sympathy. Any suggestions will be well appreciated.
did you look at wireless systems? also, here are some other parts.

RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: Sony Backup Camera Systems/Parts

http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merc..._Code=Wireless
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 6118 View Post
No matter what you do, run additional connections to your TVs. Since you're going to be head deep in this why not be able to use your TVs to check n the outside when parked, late at night and you hear something trashing around?

Check your display to see if it also has a video/sound out otherwise run splitters.

I did it and it is really nice. You hear something at night and opening the shades to look out through solar windows just says "here I am-look at me". I just turn on the TV and hit the pre-programmed button to show the camera.

I run the cables first to a PC then out to the TV from there. That way I can see all the cameras at the same time, split screen. In my MH I would need to turn the ignition to ACC to activate the dash display and then listen to the jacks down beep. If I'm in the bedroom, I can just look from there.
maybesoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Switched mine to color with out any problems. Easy. Even added a inside camera so I can keep track of the dog while driving. Got it all at rvcams.com

Just a little shaving on the color monitor mount to get it to fit inside the old B/W hole. Held in with a few cable ties.

Doug
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote