Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Wisdom..

I get the feeling that many of you guys may be loyal to the Winnebago brand and may have gone through many models of them. I am about to bring home my first RV, a Winne, albeit a slightly older one, But I bet some of you have experience with older models and have likely owned similar in the past..

It looks like this..

And it seems to have been pretty well cared for, mostly so on the inside.
It is an 89 31' chieftain on the Chevy p30 chassis with the 454 big block.

I don't want to get into all the little things that are specifically wrong with this one but rather the characteristics of these rigs in general.
I'd like to know what are the pitfalls of such models, any gotcha's or things specific to these that need extra attention?

What did you like about your old machines? What didn't you like?
Can anyone speak to the general build quality highlights and lowlights of Winnebagos from this time period as compared to models before and after?

I think you get the idea, thanks in advance for helping out an RV noob..
fasteddie313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It looks like a nice unit. I quite like the classic MH as they were the cream of the years when they were hand built.

Before you bring it home I suggest you have it inspected by a competent RV tech and mehanic to ensure the unit is as presented. Do all of the systems work correctly? Are the tires fresh or timed out? Are there any potential issues with the engine that an oil analysis would identify?

No matter what year MH you purchase you will always be working on something or other that is wearing out. You do the same for your S&B and it is stationary, not travelling down the road creating its own 3.5 earthquake.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
very nice and congratulations. our first MH (in 1986) was a 1985 26' Winnebago Chieftain also on the P30 chassis. we kept 'Banana Boat' until 2000 when we traded her in for a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U. we're now about to take delivery of 'Banana Boat III (2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q). both Winnebago and our dealer...Barrington Motors in Bartlett, IL...have been super.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I had a 76 Winnie class a. Only thing I didn't like was the big Dodge engine that flooded every stop and the previous owner did not do proper maintenance on the roof.
norty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sweet! Congrats!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Brings back memories. My parents had a 1989 32 foot Chieftain that was identical in color scheme as yours. They took that thing all around the country for years. Never had anything major go wrong with it either and they loved it.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

So in summary depending on how much really needs to be fixed on this thing, it is a solid platform worthy of functional restoration?

The interior of this thing is bordering on immaculate but there is trouble with the septic tanks mixing so I was told, and needs the hot water heater replaced (it froze once), likely needs suspension airbags, sealing up, etc. etc.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You don't mention mileage but being that it is 26 years old I am sure it will need some maintenance on the drive train, hoses and other items like the generator. Not sure what you mean about the tanks mixing, those are separate holding tanks. Coach is a good solid rig though and it would be nice once restored or modified to bring it up to date. I always felt it was one of the better looking rigs on the road, even in later years. How is the body, any delamination?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

75,000 miles new carb and fresh tune up, "tanks mixing" is what I was told, I have no real clue yet..

Some delam behind the right rear wheel area..

As far as I know this is the biggest concern on this MH, I do not know what to do about yet, if anything can be done, or even if anything really needs to be done.

I do realize this is going to be a whole lot of work to make road worthy, I am trying to do my due diligence in research to find out if it is even worth bringing back to good operating and functional condition..

It doesn't need to be restored to like new condition, but comfortably operational condition definately..

Here is an album with 80+ pics of some of my first exploration of the rig, the pics mostly highlight the problem areas and technical things rather than them being beauty pics.. If anything is wrong or broke on it it is in those pics, as far as I can tell so far..
https://www.flickr.com/gp/134130593@N04/222C89

In some areas its quite rough while in others it is in very good condition like the interior. I have not had a full tour of all the components and there operations yet as the owner is out of town and will be back this weekend but I have the keys at my disposal to explore it and critique it all I want, family, but I don't want to go around and start pushing buttons.. I have the full operator's manual here at home and have gone through it somewhat thoroughly so far. I have found some maintenance records up to the early 2000's..
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Judging from the pictures of the roof, I would guess that the previous owner took care of the cause of the delamenation. I suspected from the photos that the source was around the rear cap because of the damage to the rear ceiling in the bedroom. Another source of leaks is the skylight. There is a good video on Youtube that demonstrates how to repair delamenation with a delamenation repair kit.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We had a several of those, loved them all.

Do all the Vehicle preventative things! Hoses, Belts, Filters,Fluids, plus, wires, etc.... do not quit until all leaks are diagnosed or fixed. Carry extra fluids, tools, battery charger, compressor& tire Plugs. Try hard to avoid breakdowns by doing everything you can think of.

Your family will love it until it leaves you stranded or you have an expensive roadside repair.

Use it, fix house stuff as you go.

Have fun!
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I'd look real hard at all that water damage. I bought a '88 super chief a few years back and found the roof air had leaked for a while and the water ran down around the fridge and rotted the floor under it. Check every closet and cupboard for signs of water, soft wood, pealing wallpaper, ceiling material.

You say the wh froze which also means other places may have as well. Hook it up to a water source and tuen on the water and look for other leaks.

If you are ok with fixing everything yourself then you have found a nice project that you and family can enjoy. If you will have others do the work, run.

If they are asking more than a few bucks, walk.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I'd look real hard at all that water damage. I bought a '88 super chief a few years back and found the roof air had leaked for a while and the water ran down around the fridge and rotted the floor under it.

If they are asking more than a few bucks, walk.
Yup, the "floor" board under the fridge in this one is disintegrated too..

I'd say you wouldn't imagine the list of things to fix I have already found but maybe you can..

What constitutes "more than a few bucks"? That's what I can't figure out..

Tags
winnebago