Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago Wiring Diagram Question???

I am looking at the wiring diagram for a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U (wiring diagram --body 12v), page 5 of 10 and see a ground bar. Where, physically, is this ground?? The other grounds are neatly labeled with location but for some reason, this one is not.

I have asked variations on this question in the past but have not found it yet.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Bruce,

Is it sheet 4 of 7 instead of 5 of 7? If so, it should be located very close to the converter under the fridge and can be identified by following the two ground wires ‘U’ & ‘L’ to the bus bar. See Wiring Installation. – Body, 12V (right) 135442 sheet 3 of 9, location G-1, ‘To Ground Bar’ top right corner.

Same sheet location C-5 shows a wire connected to a ‘Ground Bolt’.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I am not sure if we are looking at the same page.

First of all I was using the Adobe page numbers, you are more correct using the sheet page numbers that are really tiny. My sheet numbers are 135444.

The page that I am really interested in is page 2 of 7 (Winny #) second sheet down by the water pump. There is a ground on the botom of the page.

I will be checking the one by the converter also, thanks for pointing that out.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi Bruce,

Digging through the schematics and I’m not 100% sure, but I believe there may only be two ground bus bars in your coach for the coach batteries in addition to the small one behind the batteries on the frame rail. According to sheet 1 ref. D1 of drawing 135444, there is a 1/0 cable from the battery negative terminal to a Ground Stud described as being located on ‘chassis rail by battery compartment’.

This small bus, according to detail AB of drawing 135446 sheet 1 ref. H3, has three wires attached labeled MP, FM, & MS that go to the steps, the battery mode solenoid, and one marker light as well as a large cable to the chassis battery. PA may also be connected here going to the Auto Heater.

I think the ground bus bars shown in drawing 135444 sheets S2F2 & 4 are located below the fridge on the right side and below the bathroom sink on the left side. Shown on drawing 135442 sheet 3 ref. C5 and sheet 2 ref. C5, these bars must be bolted directly to the frame rails because I can find no large wire that connect them back to the battery. The only thing you can do is to locate them and determine if there is a #6 or larger wire connecting them to the small bus bar of paragraph 1.

Once located, determine which is which by writing down the wire codes and checking these codes against the drawing 135444 sheets S2F2 and 4. It surprises me that this is not made clearer in the wiring diagrams. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I found the one under the stove. It is under the floor panel and difficult to see and just about impossible to access. There is a #6 and a #8 wire (U and L from the converter) going to it along with others that I can't make out. They all look clean, firm and uncorroded.

I will look for the one by the bathroom next. It make be a few days since I am leaving on a non-RV trip for a while.

I have found four ground areas so far:

1.) stud on frame by the batteries
2.) stud on frame by the radiator
3.) stud under the dash behind the instruments
3.) bolts under the stove

By the way, the reason that I am doing this is that I have a problem that acts like a high resistance ground and am trying to make sure that all of my grounds are clean and conductive.

Thanks for all the digging that you have done. It is helpful and encouraging.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi Bruce,

What specific item is having the problem? If it goes through any connectors, it may be a bad crimp or an oxide coating on the pin causing the problem as well.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You are absolutely right, it could be one of those. Since it degraded over time, I thought that I would start by looking for a corroded or loose ground. I have put some energy into the hot side and it looks OK.

The problem is that when I had a lot of loads (e.g. many lights on at night), the voltage perceived by the coach (from the monitor panel) reads about a volt lower that as perceived by the batteries (measured with 2 dvms and the solar readout). Since the coach shows low voltage, the heater and/or inverter don't function properly. The heater blower motor won't spin up enough to fire the gas (make the sail switch) and the inventer will shut off for under voltage.

I have 4 6 volt batteries and really should not have a problem.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

All right, now you got a tough one. Most all Winne coaches do the same thing with the Voltage display at the OnePlace although not quite that extreme. But if the Voltage to the Furnace is too low to activate the vane switch, then you got a problem and your right, it’s probably a resistive connection or possibly a piece of copper wire that has overheated and crystallized causing it’s resistance to increase (little known and very uncommon, in 40 years I’ve only seen it twice).

The only way I can recommend to troubleshoot a problem like this is with very long meter leads and a good schematic. Start by measuring from the negative connection ‘at’ the Furnace to the negative ‘terminal’ of the battery. If the drop is excessive, then try to trace backwards until the drop returns to normal and the problem will be between the two points. If the negative is okay, do the same with the positive by connecting the meter between the positive connection ‘at’ the Furnace and the positive ‘terminal’ of the battery. You’ll find one or the outer to be the problem.

Remember that Winne in notorious for using the smallest gauge wire that code allows. Problem is that NEC is for 120 VAC, not 12 Volts DC. Therefore the voltage drops will seem excessive normally. I have actually replaced some of the wire in our coach for this reason. Power to the inverter and battery interconnections as well as others and there are ones I can’t get to that really need to be enlarged. Like the power to the florescent lights.

Keep us posted, maybe someone else might experience the same problem.