Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago View 24V television

The front television in our 2019 24V has to be replaced. The coax cable connection on our RCA brand television popped out of the back of the TV. Winnebago approved replacement of the TV; problem is Winnebago no longer has this TV and there are not many 28" televisions produced that have match set of connectors (to have the ARC HDMI and audio out RCA connectors for surround sound). Jensen makes the exact same set (an obvious re-brand) but looking to improve over the quality of the RCA/Jensen brand.
Winnebago told the repairing dealer to shop for one locally, the dealer consulted me for selection. I'm stuck. I can't even go bigger since the clearance of the 28" barely squeezes in the current mounting arrangement.

Anyone with a similar install have any experience with the replacement of the
RCA 28GT60?

Bobby
Old 11-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Look around, there should be many which far exceed the OEM thing. If I get caught up on other mods I probably will replace the TV in our 24D, no USB for video/audio playback. Of course you can (and I can) just pick up a cheap ROKU Ultra (think blackfriday sales events) and use the Roku for usb playback. Think OEM = cheapest they can get to fudge it workable.

Like this one:
LG LM430B 28" Class HD LED TV

Input Ports
1 x HDMI Type A (Rear)
1 x HDMI Type A (Side)
1 x F-Type (RF Antenna) (Side)
1 x RCA (Component/Composite) (Rear)
1 x 2RCA (Analog Audio) (Rear)
USB Ports
1 x USB 2.0 (Audio, Video) (Side)
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
Look around, there should be many which far exceed the OEM thing.

Like this one:
LG LM430B 28" Class HD LED TV

Input Ports
1 x HDMI Type A (Rear)
1 x HDMI Type A (Side)
USB Ports
1 x USB 2.0 (Audio, Video) (Side)
I checked the LG 430 - it lacks the audio out (component RCA) therefore it can't connect to the Jensen audio deck which is the "surround sound". The Jensen deck powers the speakers in the ceiling in the coach.
Most 28" televisions made today do no have an audio out; neither the mini 3.5mm or RCA component. Without the audio output you are depending on the 5 watt speakers on the RCA television which can be difficult to hear when the roof air is on.

Refer to page 2 of the Winnebago TV diagram: https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2017/000027616.pdf

It gets confusing since the TV is an RCA and the audio output connection is RCA

Bobby
Old 11-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg View Post
I checked the LG 430 - it lacks the audio out (component RCA) therefore it can't connect to the Jensen audio deck which is the "surround sound". The Jensen deck powers the speakers in the ceiling in the coach.
Most 28" televisions made today do no have an audio out; neither the mini 3.5mm or RCA component. Without the audio output you are depending on the 5 watt speakers on the RCA television which can be difficult to hear when the roof air is on.

Refer to page 2 of the Winnebago TV diagram: https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2017/000027616.pdf

It gets confusing since the TV is an RCA and the audio output connection is RCA

Bobby

Clearly someone is confused, the specifications I posted which you copied state with certainty the unit has RCA component connections. Most do but the cheaper units may not, however this unit has 2 sets of RCA connections. I'm not confused at all between RCA as a model and component connections, I checked the specifications for the unit I posted and listed them straight from B&H Photo. Copied and pasted. There are about 4 more models I checked, 28" with at least two HDMI, RCA connections and the 3.5 output connector - more expensive. If I were choosing I would spend the extra cash and look for FO output to a sound bar and forget the crappy sound unit but to each his/her own. The unit I posted does indeed include two sets of RCA connectors. Are those audio out? It does indicate that but I did not read the manual, just the spec sheet. Frankly to find only RCA input would be a throw back to olden days since I just can't imagine RCA inputs in today's world. Some old junk might still have component output like an old model tape deck or DVD player but holy cow, 15-20 years ago? I can imaging WGO pulling some old junk into the picture however if it cost a penny less and they could find it.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Clearly someone is confused, the specifications I posted which you copied state with certainty the unit has RCA component connections. Most do but the cheaper units may not, however this unit has 2 sets of RCA connections.
The B&H shows the following specs. for the LG 430B:
Input Ports:
1 x HDMI Type A (Rear)
1 x HDMI Type A (Side)

The LG site for the 28LJ430B shows only RCA inputs

I need RCA audio output or 3.5mm output jack "phono plug".

Quote:
I'm not confused at all between RCA as a model and component connections, I checked the specifications for the unit I posted and listed them straight from B&H Photo. Copied and pasted. There are about 4 more models I checked, 28" with at least two HDMI, RCA connections and the 3.5 output connector - more expensive.
My purpose on mentioning the difference for RCA the brand and RCA the connection was for clarity for anyone reading the post. Stating RCA this and RCA that - can make make for fuzzy logic. It was not the intent to correct you personally.

Quote:
If I were choosing I would spend the extra cash and look for FO output to a sound bar and forget the crappy sound unit but to each his/her own. Frankly to find only RCA input would be a throw back to olden days since I just can't imagine RCA inputs in today's world. Some old junk might still have component output like an old model tape deck or DVD player but holy cow, 15-20 years ago? I can imaging WGO pulling some old junk into the picture however if it cost a penny less and they could find it.
I would enjoy to forego the Jensen; going with a sound bar is prohibitive since there is no room for it at the TV location and it would still have to compete with the noise of the roof air.
I don't find the RCA TV and Jensen setup that terrible but I do enjoy the audio speakers playing out over the ceiling.
There is an optical out for the audio but not likely that I will ever bring the Winnebago up to optical auido level.

I did find another brand: Continu.us CT-2860, however, its resolution is only 720 compared to the 1080 of the Jensen and no ARC HDMI port.

Bobby
Old 11-26-2019, 06:21 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

OK, I could not find a single 28" TV that was native 1080P resolution, all 720P. Most of those do allow 1080/720/480 playback however.

Here is an example of a nearly matching Jensen set:
https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JE2815.../dp/B019QGNPGY

If I were guessing I would say the listed model of the RCA28GT60 is made expressly for WGO for that installation.

There are two things to consider in resolution at least, the native resolution of the screen and the ability to play in 1080P/720P etc. Now 1366x768 will NEVER be true 1080P, just more marketing mumbo jumbo, even if they put a + sign after the WXGA. The Jensen listed has RCA input and line level RCA output as well as 3.5 headphone output and the HDMI necessary.

When I say "mumbo/jumbo" I'm referring the the trash talking TV salesmen at any store you pick when they push any given model. OK, they might even tell you this particular 28" TV is 4K ready, blah de blah, but in the end the native resolution of that screen is 720 = 1366x768 pixels. So in reality you are seeking a 28" TV with native resolution of 1920x1080 which is possible and if you look you probably will find one. To me it comes down to what the human eye at best conditions can register and scientists tell me that is 1080interlaced. According to many such published studies in the early transition days to HD TV past that everything is marketing hype yet most of us still go for the super duper 4K (even 8K now), whiz bang gizmo because "it just looks better". Looks mean how the screen is illuminated, display technology etc. but regardless of what they say .... it becomes a diamond on the pig's snout more or less. The trick is getting native resolution equal to 1080 on a small screen in a giant TV, done now and moving on to 8K, 16K next. With computer screens we understand it readily but somehow it gets hairy and confused with the 82" monster TV. In the small space of an RV most of us can tell the difference in 1366x768 and 1920x1080, even on a 28" screen. I know if I leave the resolution in native mode on our 24D and we watch a 720P broadcast the TV will show black spaces around a smaller picture to keep the resolution, if the broadcast is 1080 the screen is full. To overcome this we usually have a feature on the remote to stretch or manipulate the displayed picture appropriately to our tastes. That usually makes the displayed picture more "grainy".
Old 11-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
OK, I could not find a single 28" TV that was native 1080P resolution, all 720P. Most of those do allow 1080/720/480 playback however.

Here is an example of a nearly matching Jensen set:
https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JE2815.../dp/B019QGNPGY

If I were guessing I would say the listed model of the RCA28GT60 is made expressly for WGO for that installation.
Yes, the Jensen JE2815 is side by side the same as the RCA 28GT60 - just rebranded I assume. The RCA model wasn't produced just for Winnebago, the model was popular 3 years ago and used in other brand of RVs.

I can go with the Jensen and it will be a suitable replacement if I can get Winnebago to cover the cost. The Jensen exceeds the allowance they have given the dealer.
My original inquiry is to see if anyone has replaced the original 28" cabinet mount and if so with what.

I wish I could put a 32" unit there - not just for the larger size, but there are a lot more brands/models in 32" with more connection options. I just can't seem to get a 32" to work in the cabinet space.

Sooner or later, all of us with the 28" cabinet mount will have to face this change-out.

Bobby
Old 12-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem with a Jensen 32" TV in my Via. I was not at home, or I might have tried a repair myself. I found a local person in S. Calif. who "repaired televisions". I removed the TV, he picked it up, and the next day brought it back, with a new connector--and it was better secured than when factory built.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

TV replacement - RCA 28GT60

Bobby,
I have a blown speaker in the front TV (RCA 28GT60) in my 2019 Navion.
I see you had to replace yours in November. Did you find a suitable 28" replacement?
Steve
2019 Navion 24G
stenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #11
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenor View Post
Bobby,
I have a blown speaker in the front TV (RCA 28GT60) in my 2019 Navion.
I see you had to replace yours in November. Did you find a suitable 28" replacement?
Steve
2019 Navion 24G
Steve, yes, I went with the Jensen JE815 which has been working fine. However, I don't see anyone showing the Jensen in stock now.
The Jensen did require a different plate for the bottom mount (which Winnebago makes, being that they used both the RCA brand and the Jensen brand, they have two different plates to fit each brand). The bracket numbers are: 318567-01-04B bottom bracket and 330743-01-02B bottom bracket. I don't recall which one goes to which brand, I ordered both (the tech at my dealer tossed the original plate when they attempted to install an LG 28" model. The LG would not fit properly so the tech. tried modifying the mounting plate to get it to work).
Try reaching out to ASA Electronics; the Jensen rep. here in the U.S..

Good luck!

Bobby
Old 12-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I really dislike the RCA TV in our 2019 View. Every time you turn the TV on, it has to search channels which takes several minutes. I have looked for a Jensen or a better RCA, but cant find one in stock. Additionally I can't find a 28" TV. I am looking at going with a 24" TV.

Also I read somewhere that you can't connect a Firestick or Roku stick on the RCA.

Anyone have any suggestiions?
jackeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:49 AM   #13
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackeg View Post
I really dislike the RCA TV in our 2019 View. Every time you turn the TV on, it has to search channels which takes several minutes. I have looked for a Jensen or a better RCA, but cant find one in stock. Additionally I can't find a 28" TV. I am looking at going with a 24" TV.

Also I read somewhere that you can't connect a Firestick or Roku stick on the RCA.

Jensen doesn't have much in TV's to offer in the U.S. etrailer is the only source that I found that has any Jensen TV sets.
You could try Crutchfield and their support team could help you select a compatible TV to the RCA.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackeg View Post

When you say, "every time you turn it on it has to search channels" are you talking about over the air and cable tv channels? And, if so, are you saying that after searching and finding channels it's not adding them to it's memory? And, I also assume you are not talking about after moving to a new location... correct?

I find it hard to believe that the TV isn't saving those channels it's found if you are not moving around to a new location. Even an RCA TV in a motorhome.

As to connecting a Roku or Firestick, etc all you need is an HDMI input and that should be standard/common on a 2019 TV.

Perhaps your existing TV can do more than you are aware of????

Tags
winnebago