Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Tribute 2016 - Coach Battery Charging Issue

I have a 2016 Tribute 31C, recently bought new as it was sitting on dealers lot. The coach batteries do not charge from the V10 motor(chassis motor) according to the monitor panel located on the wall. I ask dealer to fix, Winnebago claims the coach batteries will automatically charge if the battery level falls to a certain level. Has anyone encountered this? Thanks

Harry Levant
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Battery charging systems have changed a lot in the past couple of years with more computerized charging starting to appear. Winnebago's explanation sounds reasonable. Did you ask them at what voltage does the charging start?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Dealers are not very good at keeping batteries charged. The batteries are often charged and left to die again and again. The end result is they may be new but they are garbage and will not take a charge and must be replaced. Maybe you should try to get the dealer to replace them.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Harry, Congrats on the buy. 'Not a clue about later charging systems, but I found two things really helpful from Harbor Freight recently. I bought an actual 'battery tester'. I am from the era of colored balls floating in fluid from each cell to tell the viability of the battery. This item is just like you would find at any decent battery store - but for ~$20. (Item#61747)

The second one is even more trick. It's a batt. charger and conditioner. It's mostly automatic with graphics for the common charge, but the other feature will revive what-appear-to-be dead batteries. (Item#63299) I took an old marine battery I knew to be dead at least a decade and got it to come back - but it quickly loses its charge. Another, old, cheap 12v never took any charge. But, it seemed to work well and much faster than the old 'hummer' I have used for 20yrs ..on three other batteries.

(I found out about it from the praises of an electronics whizz who writes for an airplane magazine. Normally these guys are pretty snooty about 'China Designed/Made'.)

I also use those mini 'Battery Saver' gizmos ...but think they're a waste. I could have paid for half a good quality battery.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #5

I’m betting Tucsontoy is right. Batteries are gone.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Tribute 2016 - Coach Battery Charging Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
I’m betting Tucsontoy is right. Batteries are gone.

Thanks for the info, the batteries are new, so have not dropped low enough to get the chassis alternator to charge. Have been using the genny to charge. I will need to let them run down to say 12V and see if the chassis motor starts to charge...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #7

New batteries can be dead batteries if allowed to discharge and not recharged for a week or two.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote