Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Winnebago Manual says don't store plugged in

I bought my first motorhome, a new 2013 Winnebago Vista 27N, last spring after having a tralel trailer for 7 years. I always kept the trailer plugged in when it was in storage and checked the water in the batteries every month. The manual for the Vista says not to store it plugged in. I asked the dealer why not and he had no idea. Does anyone have an idea why Winnebago doesn't want it plugged in? (I sent an email to Winnebago but haven't got an answer yet.)
Finally Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

Does it have a single-stage (i.e., a "dumb") converter? That could be one reason. Another could be the fridge fire fiascos. Probably a CYA policy to minimize warranty and product liability exposure, but that's just speculation on my part.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Finally Time, you do have a single-stage converter. So the only issue with keeping is pulled is the coach battery over charging. As long as you check the water level monthly and they do not start gassing you should be OK.
You do have the new type Battery Isolation Manager which will keep your chassis battery charged.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ok electrical eng types what is the difference of stored and parked and living in it ? I switched everything to leds and have a res refer my power usage is very low. I have to verify that water levels are good in batteries for coach, engine are maint free, I do have a dual maintainer system for the batteries factory installed and can not see any difference?
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
congratulations on your new MH. AS mentioned, check your water levels in the batteries at least monthly. I would also leave it plugged in. my MH is plugged in 24/7. I can only think that by not keeping you batteries up they will degrade very rapidly. Is you MH kept at home or is it in a storage facility?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
I bought my first motorhome, a new 2013 Winnebago Vista 27N, last spring after having a tralel trailer for 7 years. I always kept the trailer plugged in when it was in storage and checked the water in the batteries every month. The manual for the Vista says not to store it plugged in. I asked the dealer why not and he had no idea. Does anyone have an idea why Winnebago doesn't want it plugged in? (I sent an email to Winnebago but haven't got an answer yet.)
Finally Time,
Well Sir, first off, never be amazed that the "Dealer" doesn't have a clue. About 99.9999% of the sales folks out there are clueless. Depending on the shop, even some techs are not all that educated on lots of RV systems. It's difficult to find a good, dependable, honest, shop or technician that you can really trust with your motor home.

Now, having said that, one other thing you need to do is, get into the manuals that should have come with your coach and find the one(s) that have to do with what kind of Converter and or, Converter/Charger you may have installed. Learn how it works and, what limits it has and again, if it's equipped, what kind of charging system is built in and, whether or not the coach should be unplugged if planning on keeping in storage.

We can all answer you but, it really depends on the equipment installed in YOUR PARTICULAR coach. I've seen many times, sister ship coaches (ones on the same assembly line) equipped differently in terms of inverters, Converters, inverter/chargers and converter/chargers. So, it would behoove you to see what yours has. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Vista's do not come with "smart" chargers so the possibilty of boiling the batteries is why .
As others have said, just keep an eye on the battery levels (house side) as the chassis side is charged only with the engine alternator.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the answers, looks like I have a single stage converter. At first I wanted to leave it plugged in to keep the batteries charged and to plug in a dehumidifier. But now I am leaving the battery disconect switches off and have run an extension cord in throught the window for the dehumidifier since the drain hose has to go out the window anyway. I go to the storage facility (it's under a shelter with walls on three sides) once a month to run the generator anyway so I guess that will keep up the batteries.
Finally Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My 13 tour with a 3 stage charger also states not to leave plugged in! But my solar charger keeps the batteries up!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

water Heater???

Quote:
Does your Vista have a Hot Stik in the water heater? How about electric gas valve, etc. in the water heater? Make sure that is totally disconnected when you winterize!
covered.wago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I would have said with confidence that it's simply a liability issue. Then at least 2 posts state this 2013 coach has a dumb single stage charger. Are you kidding me! It's a 2013 and Winnebago is still installing dumb chargers. Please tell me it ain't so.

If you do have an intelligent charger, and it really should even if it doesn't, then it's best for the batteries to keep the coach plugged in.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Winnebago started using Progressive Dynamics 9200 series converters part way through the 2014 model year.

I would say that the VAST majority of RV's with a converter are single stage, not unusual at all.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Leaving it plugged in all the time if you have a single stage charger and AGM or any type of mx free (sealed) battery will ruin the battery. Even the sealed ones have a tiny vent for safety and will eventually boil dry. I have an AGM specific trickle 4 stage charger on the coach batts, a regular trickle on the chassis. The master 12 volt cut off switch is off. Both chargers are hooked direct to the batteries.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I am on my 5th MH and 3rd Winnebago. I have always left my MH plugged in all year long. The 1st Winnebago was a single stage charger and like the previous 2 I had to check the water every month and add as necessary. Than I learned to add mineral oil to the batteries and I only needed to add water twice a year. My 4th MH had a inverter/charger with a 3 stage charger and only had to add water twice a year. Now my current MH has maintenance free batteries with a Dimentions Inverter/3 stage charger and a setting for maintenance free batteries. After over 2 years service on the batteries I had all 5 batteries load tested and they were all OK. So my experience is I have had no repercussions after having had my motor homes plugged in 24/7 for the past 20 years. Keeping the water in the cells at proper level I believe is the secrete.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I am on my 5th MH and 3rd Winnebago. I have always left my MH plugged in all year long. The 1st Winnebago was a single stage charger and like the previous 2 I had to check the water every month and add as necessary. Than I learned to add mineral oil to the batteries and I only needed to add water twice a year. My 4th MH had a inverter/charger with a 3 stage charger and only had to add water twice a year. Now my current MH has maintenance free batteries with a Dimentions Inverter/3 stage charger and a setting for maintenance free batteries. After over 2 years service on the batteries I had all 5 batteries load tested and they were all OK. So my experience is I have had no repercussions after having had my motor homes plugged in 24/7 for the past 20 years. Keeping the water in the cells at proper level I believe is the secrete.

Don
The problem is that you cannot add water to sealed or gel type batteries and that is why they will eventually fail with a single stage charger if plugged in continously.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Single stage chargers are junk. They are intended for limited use, like a car alternator. If you have sealed batteries, especially AGM or Gel you owe it to your batteries to get an intelligent multi stage charger. You can spend the money for a charger now or plan on spending it later when you replace your batteries at unnecessary short intervals. Even using a single stage charger periodically will shorten battery life when compared to a constant charge on a smart charger.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

According to the 2002 Adventurer manual: "We do not recommend leaving the shoreline plugged in continuously during storage periods because the batteries can lose electrolytic fluids and become damage from continuous charging without periodic use."

I saw another service tip that said you should unhook the negative post from the coach battery because there are several very low voltage battery users even with the battery switch off. When I had a travel trailer, I just removed the batteries and kept them on the bench in my garage with a trickle charger on them but not continuously. Kind of a pain to pull out and put back in a MH though.

Bill in Missouri
joanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

After owning our first MH for 1 season and only using it for weekends and a couple of 1 week trips, I have been wondering what people do who stay in one campground for a full season while fully hooked up? May or may not be full timing in the MH. How is this any different than storing a MH plugged in and checking in on it every week or so?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
But now I am leaving the battery disconect switches off and have run an extension cord in throught the window for the dehumidifier since the drain hose has to go out the window anyway.
I think a lot of folks have missed this part of your reply. I had the same complaint about my previous 2013 Vista 35B. From everything I've been told, if you leave the house salesman switch turned off, the batteries will not charge. Hence, you can stay plugged in and use the outlets in your coach while not having to worry about overcharging your batteries. Since my advice is worth what you've paid for it, you can verify this with Winnebago. Tell them that you want to leave a some appliances operating in the coach to help maintain it, and ask if you will have to worry about overcharging if you leave the house switch turned off.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

DeWat is correct the charger and coach loads are on one side of the coach battery disconnect relay and the coach battery is on the other side.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, winnebago