Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
<snip> How is this any different than storing a MH plugged in and checking in on it every week or so?
One word: usage. Stored, the minimal loads place little or no demand on the system, whereas full time occupation challenges all everything to operate and cycle. It's kind of like exercising or staying in bed all day.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Try a Timer

When I had a Trail-Lite B+, it had a single-stage unit. I put a timer on the storage shed receptacle so I could just run it a couple hours a day. This kept my batteries up and eliminated (or substantially reduced) the chance of the battery boiling. It worked well for 10 years.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Single stage chargers are junk. They are intended for limited use, like a car alternator. If you have sealed batteries, especially AGM or Gel you owe it to your batteries to get an intelligent multi stage charger. You can spend the money for a charger now or plan on spending it later when you replace your batteries at unnecessary short intervals. Even using a single stage charger periodically will shorten battery life when compared to a constant charge on a smart charger.

We're talking about a Winnebago Vista not a million dollar+ motorhome here. There's a reason (several reasons actually) they can sell them for $70,000.00 to $122,500.00 not $700,000.00 to $1,225,000.00 They don't come with AGM or sealed batteries for the house. They're modestly priced to appeal to younger families or those that can't justify a huge depreciating asset. As such the amenities and systems are less expensive. They accomplish the same tasks, but require a little more user input.

We had a single stage "dumb charger" in our 01 Adventurer. It worked fine for 12+years and counting. The house batteries lasted over 8 years and were only changed out because we didn't trust them in 100* weather. I'll bet the new owner gets the same service out of the replacements with the same charger. Not every motorhome has to be equipped with the latest in technology to be serviceable and affordable for many years.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Hikerdog, it has little to do with the cost of the RV. It does have to do with profit margins, especially on high volume products. An intelligent 10-15A charger can be bought, in volume, for barely more than $100.

I've heard the same argument in the boating world. It generally stops when I point out lower costs boats that did it the right way. The price deltas have down dramatically in the past several years.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Not to hijack the thread, but this is what is stated in my 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE;

Charging Section - The Converter charges house batteries while 120-volt external power is connected. The Converter will automatically “sense” the condition of the battery. If it is below “full charge”, the Charging Section will start charging the batteries. If the house batteries have been extremely discharged, they will accept charge at a relatively high amperage rate. If they are only slightly discharged, they will charge at a lower amperage rate. The rate of charge will decrease as the batteries reach “full charge”, then will continue “trickle” charging at a very low amperage rate. If your battery does not charge as described above, it is possible the battery is defective.

I'm assuming this would be a multi-stage charger and not a "dumb" charger? Am I correct?

Thanks
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

My first season with my 2005 Adventurer under cover. I periodically allow power via shore line to keep the wet cell batteries charged, until my new engine battery failed to handle my every 2-week startup. I bought a 3-stage 1.25amp charger (amazon) to bring the engine battery up to minimum of 80% of full charge. Takes awhile at trickle charge level. The battery now @ 11.88V by hand meter with zero load after 1 week. MH starts fine. Because shore line is powering the house batteries I check each cell for fluid level and refill with distilled water as needed (keep level above plates within the battery). Has been a colder than normal winter here in Maryland (as elsewhere) and continued cold will do a number on an idle battery. So far so good. Good luck.
Poppab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #27
Site Team

I also have 26HE and Winnebago confirmed by phone that it definitely has a single stage charger. I was also confused by the wording, but they were very clear that it is not a multi-stage charger.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but this is what is stated in my 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE;

Charging Section - The Converter charges house batteries while 120-volt external power is connected. The Converter will automatically “sense” the condition of the battery. If it is below “full charge”, the Charging Section will start charging the batteries. If the house batteries have been extremely discharged, they will accept charge at a relatively high amperage rate. If they are only slightly discharged, they will charge at a lower amperage rate. The rate of charge will decrease as the batteries reach “full charge”, then will continue “trickle” charging at a very low amperage rate. If your battery does not charge as described above, it is possible the battery is defective.

I'm assuming this would be a multi-stage charger and not a "dumb" charger? Am I correct?

Thanks
Unfortunately, no that is not how a multi-stage charger works. If the Voltage does not taper down or step down, the sealed batteries will eventually cook dry from the constant voltage supplied by the stock charger contained within the converter on the RV. I wrote Winnebago about this very issue since I consider the manual they provide very misleading on this issue. I got a very "canned" response that did not address the issue.

Contained deeep in the section on batteries and charging the Winnebago book itself said that voltage tapering is important, yet the stock converter does not do this. For 2014 on some models I understand they are now using a true "smart" charger. I have changed our charger to a smart one thanks to the heads up on the issue reported on another forum.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Unfortunately, no that is not how a multi-stage charger works. If the Voltage does not taper down or step down, the sealed batteries will eventually cook dry from the constant voltage supplied by the stock charger contained within the converter on the RV. I wrote Winnebago about this very issue since I consider the manual they provide very misleading on this issue. I got a very "canned" response that did not address the issue.

Contained deeep in the section on batteries and charging the Winnebago book itself said that voltage tapering is important, yet the stock converter does not do this. For 2014 on some models I understand they are now using a true "smart" charger. I have changed our charger to a smart one thanks to the heads up on the issue reported on another forum.
Thanks for the input. The language in the manual is definitely deceptive. In a round about way, I resolved this issue. I had a solar package installed. Part of the solar package is a multi-stage charger/controller for the batteries so there would be no need for me to plug in 24/7 unless I am indoors.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Leaving it plugged in all the time if you have a single stage charger and AGM or any type of mx free (sealed) battery will ruin the battery. Even the sealed ones have a tiny vent for safety and will eventually boil dry. I have an AGM specific trickle 4 stage charger on the coach batts, a regular trickle on the chassis. The master 12 volt cut off switch is off. Both chargers are hooked direct to the batteries.
George,
Do you connect the charger cables directly to bat post, and plug to shore power outlet ? I understand you turn the battery switch off. Do you have to disconnect any cables? If have two batteries, where do connect charging cables ?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Smart man with solar. And yes, that solves the problem with proper charging, but does not take into consideration when you are plugged in, if you do that. Also, when the sun doesn't shine, or if you get a shady spot, you can plug in or run the genny with a smart converter. It's still prudent to drop the $150 for a Progressive Dynamics or Iota converter.
I finally broke down and got the Iota (I have GC batts and the Iota does 14.8 which they need, PD doesn't) and it's night and day difference. Well worth the $$ and one of the best upgrades you can do to your coach.
You got some good advice on this thread. The single stage converters are a boat anchor.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGeorge View Post
George,
Do you connect the charger cables directly to bat post, and plug to shore power outlet ? I understand you turn the battery switch off. Do you have to disconnect any cables? If have two batteries, where do connect charging cables ?
Yes, I clip the charger directly to the battery posts on one battery. Since the batteries are connected, both are charged. The master 12 switch is off and the charger is plugged into an outlet in the RV garage. No cables are disconnected.

Tags
manual, winnebago