Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Arrow Winnebago Electrical Problems.

Any help will be appreciated.

So I have a 2001, Winnebago Adventurer 37U.
All in all things have been going pretty well, with some minor maintenance
here and there. Currently I am having some problems with my audio and electrical. These things all tie into each other since they happened around the same time.

I started off on the project of taking out the old TV that was nested between the driver and passenger seat. In doing so, I have had some weird complications.

(1st problem) Since the removal of the TV, I have been unable to get a antenna signal since I disconnected it. No matter how I try nothing is happening. I have read diagrams from winnebago, I have checked to make sure that wiring is correct but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(2nd problem). When doing the disconnecting of the original TV, I triggered my subwoofer to Thump when it is not in use. The only way to stop the thumping is to Turn my Radio Pwr switch to Engine, even though I am currently in one location. Turning the switch to engine has led to the battery draining completely and very quickly (not good). Originally I thought it was a fuse issue in the dash so I looked there and played with some things but nothing seemed to work. I have also looked up the schematics for this subwoofer but I have not gotten anywhere. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, between the thumping and the draining batteries there seems to be no winning.

-Brent
Brent P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Something you did must of caused the issue. But we certainly have no idea what that could be.

About the TV - could you be more clear. You mentioned removing the TV but you did not mention putting in a new TV. So, when you say you can't get the Antenna to work can you tell us if that's on another TV? Or did you install a new TV and not mention it.

The one thing all RVers know about an "antenna working not working" kind of thing is when the cable tv/antenna booster button is pushed. Did you turn off the Antenna booster switch?

As far as subwoofer thumping, it sounds like you've crossed audio connections somewhere. In some RVs the TV is connected via the home entertainment system. When you removed the old TV did you see evidence of this?

One other question do you have a thing in your entertainment system that controls all of your DVD players, TV sound, and TVs in other locations? This is called a BOMB... or a "Box of Many Buttons." These were common in the early 2000s. The TV was probably connected to that if you have one - so would your subwoofer probably.

So, give us more details about everything you have and everything you disconnected, etc. And we'll do our best to help.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:16 PM   #3
Let's kill some bugs!

The OP may have removed an analog tube TV, hence he has an analog TV antenna on the RV. If the OP replaced the TV, it's definitely a digital signal TV, so the analog antenna will not work. It likely needs replaced with a modern DTV antenna, with amp.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Good point John, I forgot about that. But if the old TV has been working before he removed it he must have used a converter. Perhaps the issue is he didn’t remove the converter when he put in a new tv???
Old 04-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Or did not do the programming on the new TV to match the correct input from antenna? Too much lack of info to go much beyond random guessing.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:10 PM   #6
2004 Minnie 29B

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
The OP may have removed an analog tube TV, hence he has an analog TV antenna on the RV. If the OP replaced the TV, it's definitely a digital signal TV, so the analog antenna will not work. It likely needs replaced with a modern DTV antenna, with amp.
May not be antenna, some of the older Winguard antennas work fine with the digital tvs. I remember when I replace the analog tv on my 2004 Minnie, that the research I did said that some of the Winguards would work and that it was best to try it. (The 2004 Winguard works perfectly).
Need more information (pictures might help)
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Something happened to my previous RV that could be related. I had an 06 Dutchmen Super C. It had two digital tvs that were fed by a Winegard antenna. And, as Creativepart mentioned, it had a BOMB... or a "Box of Many Buttons." I had to leave it with a mechanic and forgot to turn off the coach power switch and left it unplugged from shore power for over a week. When I picked it up from the shop, I noticed a couple of strange things. One, in the master bedroom where all of the electronics are including the inverter/converter located under the bed, there was an odor (smelled like bleach). The second strange thing was that neither of the two tvs were receiving a signal. I fiddled with the BOMB and the antenna booster to make sure all the be buttons were in the proper position and I had the tvs search for a signal. NOTHING. Then a few days later I tried it again and the front tv had a signal and continued to have a signal until I sold the RV a few months later. The bedroom tv never again had a signal.

Not sure if this is in any way related to Brent's problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it might be of benefit to anyone.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Oh, and I failed to mention that the coach batteries were dead as a doornail when I picked up the RV.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, ems, problems, winnebago