Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago CB Antenna

I think I will need to replace the original antenna. The SWR reading stays at a hi reading, no matter what adjustment I do. After trying to adjust by moving the rings, I removed the antenna by loosening the allen screw, the meter reading did not change. I think I need to remove the ceiling in the cabinet to access the antenna, but can't see how it it comes down. I'm kinda hoping to see a loose wire or some reason the thing don't work. I'm hoping someone might have some ideas to what I might need to look for.
This is a factory installed antenna, and I had to find the wires under the dash. This I think is first hook up.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The CB Winnebago installed antenna on my 2004 Meridian has never been any good either. For years I run the rings up and down dozens of times and never even come close to a decent SWR reading. Finally gave up and just quit trying to use the CB radio.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I took ours to a local shop that works on CB/Ham stuff. It was way out of range when we first started so he had me loosen the setscrew and remove the wire portion of the antenna. He shortened the length by grinding off about 1/16" of an inch and had me reinstall it. After that we could adjust the SWR using the rings. I don't remember if the SWR reading was high or low.

It works better but not as well as I'd hoped so I don't use the CB much except to listen.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes I tried to shorten took off 1/2", but the meter still reads high. I too will mostly use to listen, mainly when caught in traffic. I just don't want to blow the thing up by trying to talk using the mic.
I wonder how that ceiling in the cabinet can be moved out of the way to get to the bottom of the antenna?

Equinox Toad
Old 11-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

On mine the cabinet liner is one piece folded thin hardboard covered with the fuzzy fabric used on the ceiling. It is held in place with sticky back tape and three screws.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Stearn: Real high swr reading can be caused by the antenna it'self, or the coax going to it. You have no idea what shape it's in and will probably never know unless you could remove it which is probably not a good thing.

I never want to be alone w/o my cb, especially on the road @ nightime. Forget the factory one completely, get a 3' Firestick NGP (no ground plane) antenna with their M2 side mount. You see a lot of these on the newer 18 wheelers with the fiberglass cab, because of the ground factor. You will have about $50.00 in a good system. Remember, your radio is as good as the antenna system. I mounted mine between the windshield pillar and the drivers door, in order to have at least 2/3rds of the antenna above the roof line. It makes a really neat installation with no wires showing. You can access it by either the inside pillar trim moulding or cabinet, whichever set-up you may have. Go to Firestik.com and see the application, believe me you won't be disappointed. Good luck, let us know how it works. Happy trails and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I put an SWR meter on my original antenna, and managed to force the ring far enough to get an acceptable SWR ...not great, but acceptable. I don't know what getting to the bottom of the antenna under the roof would accomplish, unless you want to totally remove and replace it.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I put an SWR meter on my original antenna, and managed to force the ring far enough to get an acceptable SWR ...not great, but acceptable. I don't know what getting to the bottom of the antenna under the roof would accomplish, unless you want to totally remove and replace it.

Yes I want to get to the underside so I can cut the wires. I don't think I will be lucky enough to find one that will match the holes of the original. I think I am going to go with the firestick.

Equinox Toad
Old 11-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago CB antenna

I had the same problem with mine...I finally removed the end piece of the upper cabinet and folded down the vinyl wall and climbed up on the driver's seat and looked in...The ground wire coming off the antenna plate under the roof was just hanging there...I splice a wire to it and drilled a hole into a visable metal support and attached the wire...Now my SWR reads 1:1 after moving the rings a little...The whole reason for the bad SWR read (4:1) was the loosing up of the ground wire...I saw where the original wire was grounded but couldn't reah it and therefor the splice.
For those of you who have match problems I would start first tightening up the ground

good luck RKL
Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If you can't get to the antenna base, I would just abandon it and get a 3' Firestix in a side mount NGP ( no ground plane) with a side mount and start over.

Ken
Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Justimagination has the answer. Did the same thing and it worked great. Good Luck.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

But how do you get to it I have a 2000 Adventure 35u was thinking of using one of those windshield mounted ones as I have the single pane glass on mine not the duel pane
Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Mark, the Firestick has many mounts. I used one that fit on the drivers door jamb and routed the cable through the window with a rubber strip between the window and the door..Worked for me..
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote