Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Winegard antenna wont receive local signals

I have a 2006 Meridian that I've only had for a little over a year. When I cranked up the VHF/UHF antenna the other day and tried to receive a signal, there was nothing. I made sure that the switchbox was on and the correct button was pushed. I ran the TV through it's channel search mode. Still nothing. Is this because they changed the type of signal you can receive a few years ago and I have an old antenna or could it be something else? Any suggestions...?
Steve
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I don't use mine but I have read other blogs about a connection just under ant base in ceiling. Corrosion sets in and connection lost. You may be able to access this by removing inside crank assy. My dis box quit a while ago and I took cover off and cleaned with contact cleaner. Try pushing buttons on dist box repeatedly and firmly to dislodge any dirt.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Again, stupid question, do you have a digital ready tuner in your tv? There are no more analog broadcasts any more.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Meridian and have to use a digital conversion box anytime I want to use the crank-up bat wing Winegard antenna to receive local channels. Was it 3-4 years ago when everything switched to digital reception and anyone without a digital tuner TV would have to purchase a digital conversion box, which the Gov't at that time sent out $40 coupons for the purchase of these boxes?
Pain in the you know what, and now our local cable company says they are going completely digital in October and we will need their little digital box for our older TVs.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You know, that's exactly what I was thinking. When "our government" passed that little law a few years ago, I didn't think much about it, because I had satellite TV and I figured it wouldn't matter much. But recently on a trip across country, I encountered a couple of RV parks that were deep in the trees and that had no cable service. What exactly do I need in the future if I want to receive these broadcasts? Do I need one of the newer Winegard heads on my mast?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What kind of TV do you have in the MH? If it's the older boat anchor type, then all you probably need is a digital converter box. Those can be had at any Wally World. Contrary to what people want to tell you, you do NOT need a digital antenna. My bat wing antenna gets great channels, I did get rid of the older TV and installed a flat screen TV, lots less weight.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The "Old Antenna" should work just fine.. however if the TV is a 2006 or older that MIGHT be the problem.

TV's come in two flavors for this discussion, Older TV's had the narrower 4x3 ratio format screen, They generally do not have a "DASH" button on the reomte (or a period button)

Newer TV's are 16x9 (Wide screen format) and will have either a Dash or Period on the screen.

Older TV's display channel numbers like this 2, 3, 4, 5, ... 98, 99 (very old ones do not go to 99)

Newer ones like this 2-1 2-2, 3-1, 3-2 (or 2.1 et al)

If you have and older TV it no longer works without an adapter in front of it like mine have.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I have a 2006 Meridian that I've only had for a little over a year. When I cranked up the VHF/UHF antenna the other day and tried to receive a signal, there was nothing. I made sure that the switchbox was on and the correct button was pushed. I ran the TV through it's channel search mode. Still nothing. Is this because they changed the type of signal you can receive a few years ago and I have an old antenna or could it be something else? Any suggestions...?
Steve
Sounds simple, but it caught me once, make sure the green light is on for power to the amplifier. Mine is a little button on a wallplate and a green LED when it is on.

Also, double check your coax connections, make sure the bare copper center wire is threaded out enough in the fitting. That one also caught me recently.

Hope this helps!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Also, double check your coax connections, make sure the bare copper center wire is threaded out enough in the fitting. That one also caught me recently.

Hope this helps!
And on that note, on mine I have two different threaded connection places for the TV. One is for running cable TV the other is for the Bat Wing antenna, make sure you are connected to the correct one. I had that happen once, forgot to switch over from cable connection to the antenna connection, Duh!
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Steve
Steve,
You're getting good answers here. I just went through all of what you're up against. In fact, I just finished all my testing yesterday. Yes, if you have the original TV, and ours may be the same as yours, a Sony that weighs about three tons, then YES, you will need to have a Digital Converter Box. I won't go into the "mandated Government stuff" because that's already been covered.

But, here's something that I just found out and, it has never been mentioned here, any time TV antenna problems are discussed. Let's start with the fact that almost no TV antenna, either the Bat wing or the latest and greatest "Jack" antenna will not function correctly and to it's maximum capabilities without the use of being "BOOSTED" from a 12V source.

And that source is, what's been mentioned, either a wall plate in the TV / AV control cabinet that has 12V and, usually an LED indicator, usually RED but, I just learned they can be green too, or, a multi-switch box that also can have a power booster switch that will also have an LED indicator too.

I just went through a ton of investigation and learning about this stuff. That power booster, "Injects" 12V into the cable that goes back to the antenna head. If you were to remove that cable, at the antenna head, you should be able to read 12V between the cable conductor and the outer housing/nut. If not, and the power booster (whatever model/type you have) is in the "On" position, then you'll have exactly what I had.

And that's a "No boost" situation to the antenna head. When that happens, like stated, the antenna cannot perform as it should and you receive either way less or no signals at all.

So, I began the investigation as to why no power at the antenna head. Long story short, I had a defective port, (burnt "choke") at the "in from antenna" in the Multi-switch box. I fixed that. OK, now I'm thinking "cool" I'll get power now to my new Jack antenna and all is cured, WRONG!!!!

What no one's ever mentioned here is, that power, from what ever type of power insertion system you have will go from the multi-switch box to the digital converter box (if you're required to have one) and, it will STOP in that box and not " PASS THROUGH" to the antenna.

I know because I tried two different Digital Converter Boxes. Neither one would allow the 12v to pass through those two cable ports on the back of them.

And, even though I just purchased a brand new "Jack" antenna replacement head and, read all the instructions and trouble shooting sections MORE THAN ONCE, it said that if no channels are received, than all the trouble shooting was aimed at making sure you have 12V to the Jack antenna head. And, on the Jack is a little LED that should light up, when power is present.

Well, since I had no power at the head, but I had it prior to entry into the digital converter box, I figured the box was the block to the system.

Now, here's the deal. I was trying to use my power insertion from the multi-switch box. Jack strenuously stipulates to NOT USE THE SUPPLIED power insertion (the call it a Power Injector) if you're using an existing power injector (like I was trying to do).

They don't want you to "double" the power injection. One or the other. They supply one with the kit. Well since I could not get power to my new jack antenna via normal cable in and out systems, because of the DCB, I had only one choice. And that was to use their supplied power injector in between the Digital Converter Box and the antenna. And in doing so, I had to make sure not to have my switch for power booster on my multi-switch box "on", even though it would not make to the antenna head. So, I made sure it was "off".

Well, in the end, I now had power to my new Jack antenna head. And, by doing a scan, in the middle of my street (cause I could not raise my antenna under my cover) and, because I live in an area that apparently does not receive over the air channels, all I got yesterday was about 4-5 Spanish channels. Well, at least I got something for all that work and learning.

Anyway, not sure if the 12V insertion of power (power antenna booster) is your problem or not but, apparently it's definitely needed for correct antenna operation.

And, like all the others have stated, do check all your cable connections and, make sure your routing of the cables is correct and go to the right ports. Hope this helps some. Good luck, you'll need it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I was in the same boat a few years ago. You will need to either buy a new digital tv or buy a converter box......if anyone still sells them

A camping neighbor had a similar problem the other night, he had tried to hook up to cable at the rv park but it was all digital and he did not have a converter....
Old 08-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Cool Do you have a BOMB

If so is the button for TV 1 pushed in? That can really mess you up also. The signal from the antenna won't get to the TV

Fair Winds
Dave
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The 2006' Meridian has a 24" analog Sony TV, and another analog LCD TV in the rear. Both need converters if you expect them to work on any but a very small number of analog LP's scattered around the country.

You don't need to replace the antenna, but I would strongly suggest adding a Wingman to the Batwing antenna. It does make a noticeable difference.

Scott: I'll send u mine and he can have yours...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

X2 for the wingman. it improved my signal strenth but also made my batwing more directional.
my wingman cost about $30 and installed easily on the batwing using push pins. no tools needed.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Gotta get that gain from somewhere... ):

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to all of you, especially FireUp. I think I can take it from here. Although, I'm not really sure if I want to mess with it. I have cable, I have satellite...is it worth the trouble just to be able to see UHF stations once in a great while...?
Steve
Old 08-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Do you need it? Your call. But if you're in a park with lots of trees and no cable, you might wish it worked and you knew how to work it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks to all of you, especially FireUp. I think I can take it from here. Although, I'm not really sure if I want to mess with it. I have cable, I have satellite...is it worth the trouble just to be able to see UHF stations once in a great while...?
Steve
Ramzfan,
We camp/RV in a variety of camp spots, RV parks, State campgrounds and more. TV is not really a priority when camping. It's more of a convenience and, if bad weather calls, we can be entertained. But, I'm one of those guys that, if I'm carrying the equipment, I'd like it to work. Now, ever since I started messing with this antenna system a few days ago, I've learned quite a bit. My explanation was in my last post.

It still amazes me that "Jack" or, any other antenna system doesn't mention, in any of their instructions/information sheets/trouble shooting guides, that, "For those of you with older ANALOG TVs, you may encounter a problem with getting power for the power booster through the "Required" Digital Converter Box."
"If you encounter such a problem, then install the supplied "Power injector" in between the Digital Converter Box and the antenna head."

If they'd have said that in the instructions/trouble shooting, I'd have had a lot less work in analyzing my problem. So, anyway, While cable connections, proper routing of the cables, and proper equipment, i.e. Digital control box for older analog TVs, is important, having that antenna head, be it the Bat Wing or, the new Jack, supplied with 12V for boosting it's signals is vitally important too. So, there's a multitude of proper working protocol in order to make your regular TV antenna do it job and bring in signals for you.

Now, once you get all that equipment in proper working order, then, you'll be good to go. As stated, I'd just like to get it all to work so, I can rely on it if and when I call on it.

For you, you'll have to make that decision as to just how important, "over the air" TV is to you and, what you'll have to do/repair/purchase to get it working correctly. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna