Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2024, 09:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Will a generator shut down because there's no load?

I have what might be dumb question, related to my other thread --

We're still working our way through various troubleshooting steps. I have seen nothing in any manuals or anywhere really stating that these generators must have a load on them to operate. So....will generators simply shut down if they're being run with no load on them?

If it helps/matters, here are the details of what we have:
2007 Winnie Aspect
Onan MicroQuiet Model 4KYFA26100K
120V, 33 Amp
Gas (not Diesel or Propane)
4,000 Watt
3600 RPM
12V battery
~500 hours on it
Old 06-16-2024, 01:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

humm? Interesting question and I should have known this but I don't!
I have used and run lots of generators of lots of different sizes but I don't remember ever hearing that one way or the other for that reason.
We have always run them with loads as that is what we are testing to see that they will actually do the job when needed!
Or we were there and running them because they were needed.
But there have also been times when we left one running for an extended time while wiring was changed, etc. just because we had a bad trip getting it to start and didn't want to have that again!
In cold weather, we often started them in a garage if they were stored inside and then left them running until we got to the site. We just never wanted to go out there and find it was a problem, so that would have been running without a load for an hour or more!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Even if you don't have any loads on the generator of your own your converter will automatically start working to charge your batteries and supply 12v to the thermostat, fridge, and any chargers plugged in. So, even when you think there are no loads... there are plenty of loads.

Buy my opinion and it's just opinion is that no, it will not shut down because it has no loads.
Old 06-16-2024, 03:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Last year my QD3200 (diesel) began to randomly shut down while driving. What I found was that it was shutting down right when the roof air cycled off. If we cranked the thermostat all the way down so the AC would never cycle off the generator stayed running. Some guys on the generator forum suggested looking at the fuel pump.
I did a flow test of the fuel pump and while it passed the flow test, there were air bubbles in the fuel. I found it was sucking air at the fuel pump inlet where the fuel line was poorly attached with a worm clamp. Worm clamps do not apply even pressure all the way around. I cut a fresh end on the line and re-installed it, and I used a fuel injection clamp. No more random stalling.

It didn't make sense that air in the fuel would stall it when the load dropped out, but apparently that was it. Of course yours is gas powered but it's pretty easy to check anyway.
Old 06-16-2024, 07:43 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If you have an AGS (auto gen start) system look into the manual and see what it says about start / stop on demand (like A/Cs cycling on / off)...
Old 06-17-2024, 04:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

As a general rule the generator should not shut down under a no load condition. However, if you have any AGS (Automatic Generator Start) or similar systems it might. Mine defaults to off and has to be turned on if I want it to work. On your system I would suspect a loose wire in the control circuit. Or a flaky control board.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 09:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Rodimus View Post
I have what might be dumb question, related to my other thread --

We're still working our way through various troubleshooting steps. I have seen nothing in any manuals or anywhere really stating that these generators must have a load on them to operate. So....will generators simply shut down if they're being run with no load on them?

If it helps/matters, here are the details of what we have:
2007 Winnie Aspect
Onan MicroQuiet Model 4KYFA26100K
120V, 33 Amp
Gas (not Diesel or Propane)
4,000 Watt
3600 RPM
12V battery
~500 hours on it
Generator will run fine with no load.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
As a general rule the generator should not shut down under a no load condition. However, if you have any AGS (Automatic Generator Start) or similar systems it might. Mine defaults to off and has to be turned on if I want it to work. On your system I would suspect a loose wire in the control circuit. Or a flaky control board.

Aaron
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 03:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Low oil will cause a Cummins to cut off.

Tags
generator