Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I seem to find notes of similarity in a lot of posts read here on this forum. There seems to several items we/you all add or should add to rigs after coming off the dealers lot.

Two that I can think of right off the top of my head: surge protectors - everyone say's you need them - they should be standard equipment; Metal valve extensions - almost impossible to check presuure readings the way they are and forget trying to fill a tire - talked to my dealer yesterday and he agreed....

Anyone else have anything they think should be standard equipment please chime in - know you will anyway.....
Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I seem to find notes of similarity in a lot of posts read here on this forum. There seems to several items we/you all add or should add to rigs after coming off the dealers lot.

Two that I can think of right off the top of my head: surge protectors - everyone say's you need them - they should be standard equipment; Metal valve extensions - almost impossible to check presuure readings the way they are and forget trying to fill a tire - talked to my dealer yesterday and he agreed....

Anyone else have anything they think should be standard equipment please chime in - know you will anyway.....
Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Only one reason they don't - $$$$

My Journey has metal valve stems, and as you said, it's very easy to check and air up the tires. Maybe they think you'll buy a DP to get the metal valve stems...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomsm:
Only one reason they don't - $$$$

My Journey has metal valve stems, and as you said, it's very easy to check and air up the tires. Maybe they think you'll buy a DP to get the metal valve stems... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom - I'm not talkin' thousands here - just talkin' every day common stuff most of will spend the money on anyway. And, I am sure the OEM's can do it a heck of lot cheaper than you or I can...

You mean to tell me if I would have spent an extra 20,000 I could have had metal valve extension's....why didn't they tell me????
Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yeah, I was being a little flippant there, but I know what you mean. Something as important as a surge guard should, at the very least, be an option. I added mine before I plugged into any campground. There's just too much sensitive electronics in today's RVs to not protect them.

I think surge guards are standard on the reallllly high end coaches - higher than anything Winnie makes. Maybe it's like the valve stems, if you had sprung for another 500 thousand, you could have had a surge guard.

Seriously, I know what you're saying and I just don't have a clue. I do think Winnie offers a more complete product than most and a lot more bang for the buck. Maybe they think we enjoy personalizing our units (and we DO), but that should be left to things like fuzzy dice on the rearview mirror and not important stuff that is needed for basic, safe operation of the product.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I think it is like cake mix...they could put powered eggs and milk in there (just add water), but by letting you add it, it makes you feel like you made something!

Same thing with your motorhome, you add things and "personlize" it. I know I was looking for things to add before we even picked it up!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Please don't take me wrong - I'm okay with the coach. I am a common sense guy. I can add all the bells and whistles later but at least start out with the right basics!!

My 99 LaPalma had some things as standard that I assumed would be on my new Suncruiser. Like steel tire valve extenders; headlights you can flash with the bright switch in the daylight to let other trucks and coaches in safely (now I turn my lights on manually), surge protector, four way flasher that don't knock you out of cruise control when you just want to flash them as a notice and last but not least airbags in the front seats.

Let them build the cake mix right and I'll ad the frosting - cream cheese if you please - just like on carrot cake!!
Old 04-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomsm:
Maybe they think you'll buy a DP to get the metal valve stems... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Didn't come on our '05 Vectra, either.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
Maybe they think you'll buy a DP to get the metal valve stems... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Didn't come on our '05 Vectra, either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 2005 Vectra came with metal valve stems.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Contact Us | iRV2 | Terms of Service

© irv2.com 2008 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Was told on the Workhorse forum that it's totally up to the mfg. as to whether or not coaches come with the affore mentioned items or not.

So now I get to go back to my dealer, who has a large variety of valve stems and have them installed.....seems silly to me.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

One more thing would be the converter. Whay not use something like the Progressive Dynamics Charge Wizard type in lieu of the Paraleux battery cooker that Winnie installs as standard on most of the gas rigs. Just a thought as couldn't cost much more purchased in large quanities.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V Workhorse
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I just installed a new Scan Gauge II. I am amazed at the amount of information that is readily available for the gauge to read, all for $ 150.00

You would think that with the level of information already gathered by the on-board systems that the Manufacturers would provide a better array of gauges for real world monitoring of any signs of a problem.

Whats up with the sliding panel to open the screen door, can't they come up with a better plan ?

I have owned my Sightseer for a year now and am really happy with the quality of Winnebago. I find some of the build materials a bit basic, but for an entry level Class-A I think it has been well designed and built.

If I wanted cherry cabinets, leather seats and air ride I would have spent more.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Since a surge suppressor and metal valve stems have already been mentioned, I will add an accumulator tank. It is CHEAP and helps with the plumbing issues.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bayway:
One more thing would be the converter. Whay not use something like the Progressive Dynamics Charge Wizard type in lieu of the Paraleux battery cooker that Winnie installs as standard on most of the gas rigs. Just a thought as couldn't cost much more purchased in large quanities.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V Workhorse
Old Odyssey Toad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree...It's all about cost.

I replaced my Parasucks single stage charger/converter with the Progressive Dynamics with the built in charge wizard for around $100.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote