Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Thanks folks. As usual, you've given me some insight into the thinking behind the LED craze. I'm still not sure if I want to do it, or if I do, maybe I'll just change out some of the lights. At any rate, thanks to everybody for their input.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quite honestly if I didn't do 75% boondocking I never would have switched them all out. It totally depends on what you do whether it makes sense or not.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

I got ours because we boondock most of the time. I never liked the fluorescent lights. I replaced only four of the six tubes with LEDs because they ran out at GNR. I couldn't believe the difference when I turned on all three fixtures. The quality of light is so much better, I find it hard to believe. I've replaced all the lights in the interior, but only did the porch light outside, none of the basement lights. I will probably do those when we go to Arizona.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

I couldn't agree more with everyone. (Well almost everyone) I use LEDs for significant reductions in power usage (I'm a solar user) and MUCH less heat. Trust me, once you burn your fingertips on an incandescent bulb trying to get it out of the socket you'll know!

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blo...4;src=postname

It took a little bit of research into brightness (lumens) and color temperature (kelvins) to figure out what I wanted/needed, but I wouldn't go back at all. I've done all the incandescents in the RV as well as the fluorescents. Though I did leave the bulbs and ballasts in and added a switch to keep the fluorescent functionality intact.

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blo...2;src=postname

Prices always drop. Look around.....

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Another use of LEDs that I don't think has been discussed so far is to put lighting where your RV currently doesn't have enough (or any). We have the usual puck lights under our cabinets above the sofa, recliner and dining table. I've never been impressed by their light output and beam spread and didn't think that replacing them with LEDs was going to make that much of a difference.

Instead I purchased high power, warm white flexible LED strip lighting (the kind you can cut to length) and installed 5 foot strips of it under and along the cabinet edge. This type of LED lighting is dimmable using inexpensive 12V dimmers and the overall effect is dramatic. The LEDs I purchased are rated at ~300 lumens/foot so at full power each individual strip provides more light than a 100W light bulb but consumes only ~20 watts. If you purchase from a retailer such as LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS rather than direct from China you can also purchase a variety of connectors, power supplies and dimmers so you can avoid having to do any soldering.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Scott (Fire Up) on the LEDs and, as we all know, cost is relative to the individual -- in our case, we changed to LEDs and have no regrets. The benefits we gained from LEDs, especially in the "hockey puck" type over the seating areas and bed made a for an improved reading/craft light. The LEDs will outlast our use the this MH -- I did save all the old bulbs , just in case we sell or trade -- which I seriously doubt.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

Something to consider.
When you are driving in Fog and you can't see. Or perhaps when you are driving in a Driving Snow and Windstorm... You don't really care about how much the lights cost. Anything to prevent a pileup on the Interstate is worth every penny. Light that puppy up with whatever you choose. Just light it up well.
JamesAdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here...or maybe I just don't dry-camp enough. I am trying to understand why the sudden uproar to buy LED lighting and to change out your whole coach? If I'm not mistaken, the cost of a single bulb with LED's inside is about $25.00. The cost of a regular incandescent bulb is about $2.95. That's a $22.00 difference for one bulb!
I can do a whole lot of camping on the cost of changing out my entire coach.
JamesAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Guys, just thought I would throw some reality into the LED discussion.

I actually installed LEDs in my RV, but I also tested the current draw on them.

The regular bulbs will draw @ 1 amp, yet these LED lights with 24 or 36 small led bulbs on the board will draw @ .4 to .5 amps, so they draw almost half.

Not bad but not as high as people are lead to believe.

But it has made my Amera Coach nice and bright with a great white good light for reading, computer desk, etc...

Just my thoughts and findings, IAN...
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Me...
Power usage reduction, heat reduction (not burning fixtures/covers/fingers), easier on connections (less current), like the color, we dry camp, want to add solar (will need less supply), should last longer, put in a fixture with a single LED as a night light (DW finds the bathroom with less bumping and banging).
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imorton View Post

I actually installed LEDs in my RV, but I also tested the current draw on them.

The regular bulbs will draw @ 1 amp, yet these LED lights with 24 or 36 small led bulbs on the board will draw @ .4 to .5 amps, so they draw almost half.

Not bad but not as high as people are lead to believe.
IMHO your comparison isn't all that meaningful since you haven't noted the lumen value of the light replaced or of the LED that replaced it. My experience has been that the power ratio of incandescents to LEDs is ~5:1 for the same luminosity. I suspect that your new LEDs provide more light than the bulbs they replaced.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

GOLLY, to read all these pages and posts, you'd think most RVers are running with ALL their inside lights on, all the time - and that the heat generated was enough to bake bread with!

Reality?

A standard 2-bulb fixture with both lights lit, will generate NO MORE THAN about 24 watts, 2 amps - so you would need to have at least 4 of those 2-bulb fixtures lit to equal a SINGLE 120 volt, 100 watt household incandescent bulb!

Dunno about most RVing folks - but we rarely use more than 2 2-bulb fixtures at a time, and even then, usually only need 1 of the 2 bulbs.

Reality is, that lights are (for us!) probably the LOWEST power consumption and heat generating items in our RV's - the heater blower motor, the air conditioner, the microwave, the toaster, and several others are by FAR the heavy hitters in the power consumption scenario - and simple light fixtures are so low in the heat generation and power consumption department as to be laughable...

We do mostly boondocking - and with the standard bulb-type light fixtures, and the flat-panel TV, can operate pretty much indefinitely with about 65 watts of solar panels, and only rarely need additional generator power to run the microwave for a few minutes at meal time - but, I guess we ARE now out of style...

NOW, if they would only come up with a LED air conditioner - or microwave, or...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

Just finish changing out some g 4 10 watt bulbs. Amp draw went from 19 to 8 after changing 24 bulbs. Ordered enough to finish the job. Our dutch star has 43 puck style lights.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

I also agree that LEDs are on the bottom of the list of power consuming items. I figured I would give them a try, but not really for their power conservation, but for the "whiteness" of the light.

I just found the regular bulbs give off a yellow light and I love the new LEDs for giving a bright white light good for cooking, reading, computer desk, etc....
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

We changed out the incand. bulbs to LED for the brightness, like imorton. But I wasn't going to spend upwards of $1000+ replacing bulbs all over the coach. I chose just a few fixtures where we'd benefit from the more brighter LED's: bath vanity (for make-up application), above couch, dinette & bed (for reading/game playing/crafting), hook up bay (for those after-dark hook ups) & outside porch light (thermal activated so it wouldn't stay on all the time & draw bugs).

For us, less is more...especially when they cost so darned much.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
GOLLY, to read all these pages and posts, you'd think most RVers are running with ALL their inside lights on, all the time - and that the heat generated was enough to bake bread with!

Reality?

A standard 2-bulb fixture with both lights lit, will generate NO MORE THAN about 24 watts, 2 amps - so you would need to have at least 4 of those 2-bulb fixtures lit to equal a SINGLE 120 volt, 100 watt household incandescent bulb!

Dunno about most RVing folks - but we rarely use more than 2 2-bulb fixtures at a time, and even then, usually only need 1 of the 2 bulbs.

Reality is, that lights are (for us!) probably the LOWEST power consumption and heat generating items in our RV's - the heater blower motor, the air conditioner, the microwave, the toaster, and several others are by FAR the heavy hitters in the power consumption scenario - and simple light fixtures are so low in the heat generation and power consumption department as to be laughable...

We do mostly boondocking - and with the standard bulb-type light fixtures, and the flat-panel TV, can operate pretty much indefinitely with about 65 watts of solar panels, and only rarely need additional generator power to run the microwave for a few minutes at meal time - but, I guess we ARE now out of style...

NOW, if they would only come up with a LED air conditioner - or microwave, or...
Gary, your post agrees with what I am feeling completely! I'm not lighting the Taj Majal when I go camping. And I've never worried about the heat from a light bulb warming my coach. I guess though, we're dinosaurs in this new age of modern lighting and excess money to throw around.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

The heat difference between incandescent and LED is a safety thing. The heat from halogen and even incandescent lamps can melt the housing or in rare instances start a fire. The heat added to the interior is negligible. During the long nights of winter camping, light can help combat depression. I also went with LEDs to conserve battery power, but really like the difference in the quality of light. Most of the incandescent lights were originally meant for automotive use and not interior living illumination. You can choose LEDs for general illumination, reading or mood.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD

Reality?

There is a difference in definitions. When boondocking so as not to have the sound of generators we do not use A/C, toasters/toaster ovens, try not to use heater, no TV. For us there is a difference between 8 and 1 amp. We use the grill for breakfast and supper (sandwiches for lunch), fridge is either propane or coolers with ice, and propane for water heater (keep DW happy ). Our biggest energy user is the ATV.
A LED A/C would be nice.... the breeze is not always functional.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

We never dry camp, so I have not changed the inside lights to led's. I do think it is a great idea for dry campers. I did change all my running and taillights to led's. I used all hardwired lights and now I have much brighter lights and being hardwired in, I don't have to bother with lights not working. Also the lighter load on my alternator doesn't hurt.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Not LED, but they DO have good 'ol fashioned swamp coolers. Any my propane stovetop usually manages to replace the microwave

Seriously I like mood lighting in my RV even when I dry-camp, so I DO enjoy our lights. We went from using ~10 amps to only ~1 amp with the switch. Could we make it without LEDs...definitely!! Would we want to given how cool they are (in every way)...never!!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

I do not understand.

2 years. 12 halogen bulbs. 12 bucks.
Must be a boondocker thing.
I plug in

Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote