Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a '03 Sightseer on a P32. I am the second owner but have the window sticker. On it it says I have the 'dual battery charge control'. In both the Winnebago manual and the Workhorse manual, it says that when the engine is started, the alternator(145amp I think) will charge the chassis and both coach batteries. I put a VOM across all 3 batteries and it read approx 12.5 vdc. I then started the engine and the chassis battery was over 14vdc but the coach batteries were still at 12.5vdc. Does anybody know where the supposed battery isolator is located?? or is there a fuse somewhere?? I forgot to check if turning off the coach battery disconnect would help. Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a '03 Sightseer on a P32. I am the second owner but have the window sticker. On it it says I have the 'dual battery charge control'. In both the Winnebago manual and the Workhorse manual, it says that when the engine is started, the alternator(145amp I think) will charge the chassis and both coach batteries. I put a VOM across all 3 batteries and it read approx 12.5 vdc. I then started the engine and the chassis battery was over 14vdc but the coach batteries were still at 12.5vdc. Does anybody know where the supposed battery isolator is located?? or is there a fuse somewhere?? I forgot to check if turning off the coach battery disconnect would help. Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Rick,
I don't know for sure on your model but my '96 and now my '04 Winnie both used a solenoid in place of an isolator. Somewhere close to your batteries, maybe behind a removeable panel in the storage bay you should find a panel with 12v fuses and also the solenoid. Go to Winne web site and download your wiring diagrams if you don't have them. They may give you a location. When you find the solenoid it should be labeled so you will know for sure. As I recall there will be two solenoids close together and I would have to look up the diags to be sure how they are set up.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you check the wiring diags it says the 2 solenoids are in the entrance step box

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

In my coach, the smaller solenoid is the battery disconnect. If your alternator isn't charging the house batteries, there's about a 95% chance your solenoid contacts have gone bad.

We recently joined the ranks of those with new charge solenoids .

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:56 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If your alternator isn't charging the house batteries, there's about a 95% chance your solenoid contacts have gone bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or, your "house power" switch is not on.... Same goes when you're running the genny in your Sightseer. It will make 120vac, and make 12vdc for your lights, but it will not charge the coach batteries until you've turned the house power switch on. Some other brands of coaches may be wired differently, but Winnie gassers typically follow this procedure.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have 2 solenoids. 1 is a coach battery disconnect. 1 is a jumper to connect my coach and chassis batteries. The coach battery disconnect is working properly because if I leave a light on and turn the switch off, the light goes off. The jumper soledoid is working properly because when I hit the monentary battery jumper switch on the dash I hear the solenoid make contact. Any other suggestions???
Old 11-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Rick - just because the solenoid is making noise, that does NOT mean it is working. The issue I suspect is that arcing of the contacts over a number of operational cycles eventually builds up a crust of crud to the point where they won't pass any significant current.

My solenoid was operating, i.e., it made a nice clunk when I put 12V on the coil. When operated, I measured the voltage at both posts (or terminals) - I had about a one volt difference between the two. If the contacts were in good shape, the voltage should be exactly the same. Another way to test would be to meter across each terminal - I would suspect there would be a voltage drop across the terminals if the contacts had some electrical resistance. You would probably need a decent digital multimeter to make these voltage readings.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

John,
You were right. When the key is turned the battery solenoid is supposed to be energized connecting house and coach batteries for charging from the alternator. I was in fact getting 12vdc on the 3rd(smaller) post on the solenoid when the key was turned, but was not getting 14vdc on the one side of the soleniod. This would indicate that the solenoid is shot. Time to order a new one.
Thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 03:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Rick - good deal! Might not be a bad idea to pick up a spare while you are at it. Pull your negative battery cables before you begin so you don't do any impromptu welding

Old 12-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

John,
Replaced the solenoid today. Everything works as advertised. Thanks Rick