Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Where is my current inverter?

I purchased a 1000W inverter and was thumbing through my manuals spec sheets and found that my 2003 31C Minnie came with an inverter installed. I have no idea where it it though.

It is a 130Watt inverter(dimension unlimited inverter dui12130t2) so it isn't a big deal but maybe I can swap out the connections for the old one to the new one.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The optional inverter would be right under the TV. As seen in the installation diagram attached.

Being a 130 watt inverter, means it has a relatively small current draw. Wiring diagram shows it has 10 gauge wires running to it. (Which are probably there, even if you don't have the inverter.) A 1000 watt inverter would probably need larger wires at that distance from the batteries. And it looks like the inverter was set up to only run that TV. It's not tied into the rest of your 120 VAC wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31cTV.png
Views:	29
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	184709  

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Being that small, it might be near your entertainment center. Make sure your wire gauge is of sufficient size for the 1000W load. You can always contact Winnebago at [email protected]. Give them the SN or VIN off of the Winnebago Data tag, and they should be able to help you.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Page 8-15 of the Minnie's owner's manual lists it as an option but, if you have a manual for it, you should have one. The wiring diagram for the 2003 Minnie shows it next to the TV control box in the cabinet next to the TV:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

As Tim mentioned, the wiring from the inverter to your batteries may not be large enough for a higher wattage inverter. Typically, you'd want to mount a higher wattage inverter close to your batteries. 1300W will draw about 1300/12 = 108A from a 12V DC battery, roughly ten times what a 130W inverter would draw. There are online resources to help you determine the wire size necessary for a given length of the wires from the batteries to the inverter.

Good luck.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Makes sense, never even knew it was there.... I will mount and wire the inverter closer to the batteries.

There batteries are currently under the step and will probably run wires into the cargo compartment next to the step, that is where the breaker box, hopefully I can use and existing hole into the compartment and figure out where the wiring conduit goes from that compartment into the main cabin.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
Makes sense, never even knew it was there.... I will mount and wire the inverter closer to the batteries.

There batteries are currently under the step and will probably run wires into the cargo compartment next to the step, that is where the breaker box, hopefully I can use and existing hole into the compartment and figure out where the wiring conduit goes from that compartment into the main cabin.
Make sure you have a good understanding of wire sizes since they can be confusing. Going from small to large, the gauges are: 14, 13....2, 1 then 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0 (aka 0, 00, 000, 0000). Here's some info on choosing the right size wire:

https://www.explorist.life/what-wire...-solar-system/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter