Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hi everyone, I have a 06 Winnebago Adventure 35A. I am hoping someone can shed some light on the correct way to store a coach electrically.

I currently store my coach outside under cover. We use the coach at least once a month.

I was storing it with shore power plugged in but I was told that was incorrect. Then I was speaking with someone else and I was told that it should be plugged in! What would be the best way to store? My main concern is the batteries. I already have a Trick-l-start but if I am not plugged into shore power that defeats the purpose!

SS302 Supersteer
clv5464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi everyone, I have a 06 Winnebago Adventure 35A. I am hoping someone can shed some light on the correct way to store a coach electrically.

I currently store my coach outside under cover. We use the coach at least once a month.

I was storing it with shore power plugged in but I was told that was incorrect. Then I was speaking with someone else and I was told that it should be plugged in! What would be the best way to store? My main concern is the batteries. I already have a Trick-l-start but if I am not plugged into shore power that defeats the purpose!

SS302 Supersteer
Old 07-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
I always kept mine plugged in. Checked the batteries on a regular basis. In hot weather I kept the AC turned on to about 78 degrees or so. Once per month, about the first of every month I took the rig out for a drive to exercise the engine and drive train. Long enough to get things warmed up. Started the generator when I pulled out of the drive. Called one of the pizza places down the road that was located in a strip mall where I could park the rig, and ordered a pizza to go. Kept the AC's running, had pizza, salad and a drink, then took the rig back and put it away. Generator should be run 2 hours per month at 1/2 load.

Never had a problem.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Mine stays plugged in to shore power all the time and I watch the batteries. Even in the winter I exercise all functions and drive it every two weeks.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum! There is lots of helpful information on this site. Hope you enjoy your new RV.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2006, 03:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have always kept our rigs plugged in to shore power. As has been said, you must check the batteries and top them off about once a month. We keep the refrigerator running with items loaded. Water in the tank and can goods in the pantry. This practise makes for easier preparation for trips as well as providing for potential emergencies. The excersising of the generator mentioned is also important. You already said that you use the coach once a month and that excersises the rest of the items.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ours is plugged in 24/7, but I plug into a small inexpensive timer. I set the timer to turn on about an hour a day. This keeps the batteries charged and no problem with water loss in the batteries.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:33 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Howdy clv5464, and welcome aboard iRV2

You've gotten some good answers regarding keeping the coach plugged in and watching the battery water level.

There are two battery banks in your motorhome. One groupe is used for starting the engine and operating the chassis, the other group is known as the coach or house batteries and operate the 12 volt electrical loads inside the motorhome. Each battery bank may be a single battery, or one or more connected together depending on the motorhome builders design.

The trick-l-start is designed to keep a charge on the engine starting battery. That system is designed to keep a low current charge going into the battery so that if the motorhome isn't used for an extended periord of time, the engine battery will not be discharged. Normally, the trick-l-start will not overcharge the battery so you don't need to be as concerned with water useage in the engine battery.

The house batteries on the other hand do need to be checked for water consumption when you stay plugged in for extended periods of time. How often you must check and add water depends on what type of charger/converter your coach has. A typical converter that outputs a fixed voltage can tend to overcharge the batteries which will increase water useage. With that type of charger, I'd suggest checking the water at least monthly, and perhaps more often if you find the batteries needing water added. If you have a "charge wizard" or more advanced three stage charger on your motorhome, the charger will automatically reduce the charging voltage and amperage as the battery become charged. This will drastically reduce the water consumption and you will need to add very little.

In my case, I leave our motorhome plugged in all the time at home, and with the 3 stage charger I find I only add water once a year.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

There are a couple other ways to keep the engine battery from discharging. At the Winnebago GNR electrical seminar the instructor mentioned charging the engine battery with the onboard coach battery charger.

To charge the chassis battery along with the house batteries you can put a small wedge under the "Battery Boost" switch on the dash to keep it in the on position. This will activate the solenoid and connect all the batteries to the charger. He said this wouldn't be a problem since the solenoid had a 100% duty cycle, and is in fact activated any time the ignition switch is in the on position. It's designed to let the alternator charge all the batteries when the engine is running.

The only reason the switch on the dash is a momentary switch (one that has to be held in the on position) is to avoid draining all the batteries when the coach is parked without shore power.

I replaced the momentary switch with a regular on/off switch I purchased from the Winnebago parts store in Forest City. To avoid the possibility of draining the batteries I also installed a bright green LED next to the switch below the word ON in the panel. Any time the LED is illuminated I know All the batteries are connected.

For long term storage when the coach is not plugged in you can install a HEAVY DUTY battery shut off switch in the chassis bttery cable. It must be strong eniugh to withstand the amperage needed to crank the engine. I used a 2000 amp switch from Flaming River (www.flamingriver.com) It's meant for over the road trucks and can be locked in the off position.

Another point of information is that the roof mounted solar panel charges the house batteries even when the built in house battery switch is thrown to disconnect the batteries from the load. If you can, use a cover that leaves the solar panel exposed. Then it'll continue to put a 10 watt charge to the house batteries.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I don't know if this is right or wrong but when I'm done cleaning mine after atrip I park it and when I walk out the door I shut off the batteries. When I go to use it again. I turn on the batteries. I drive over to the house through some bottle water in the fridge and plug it in. This system has worked for 3 years now.

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

HotRod 32: Your procedure is fine as far as it goes. The switch you are referring to only shuts off the house batteries.

Both Ford and Workhorse recommend disconnecting the chassis battery if the coach is stored more than 30 days. The parasitic loads for the engine and transmission electronics will slowly drain the battery.

That's why I also installed a chassis battery disconnect switch. The downside is you have to reset the clock, reprogram the radio, and the engine and transmission electronics have to relearn your driving habits.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone for the information! I guess I will go back to the way I had it. Plugged in with the Trick-L-Start connected and I will keep an eye on the water level of the house batteries. Thanks again!

SS302 Supersteer