Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

What power cords to buy?

Picking up my Micro Minnie 2100BH next week. Newbie to RVing. Should I buy a variety of power cords to be prepped for different configurations at campgrounds, like 30 and 50 amp converters? The possibilities of electrical options are mind boggling. Hope the dealer will have time to explain everything! Thanks!
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had 30 amp service on my other rig. Bought 30/50 amp adaptor as well as 30/15 amp adaptor for home use. I now have 50 amp service so have 50/30, 50/15, etc. can never have too many adaptors. Be prepared for Both 50 and 30 amp service at the campground. Would also invest in a surge protector/circuit analyzer.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have never found a campground which only had 50 amp service so we have never carried one for that since we are 30 amp but I do use the 30 amp to 15 both at home and we have occasionally used it on the road, like places in hospital lots where they may be set up for visitors and do have limited service. I think of it as more common to have only 15 and 30 but if they have 50 they also have the other two with 50 being the more expensive to wire.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I have never found a campground which only had 50 amp service so we have never carried one for that since we are 30 amp but I do use the 30 amp to 15 both at home and we have occasionally used it on the road, like places in hospital lots where they may be set up for visitors and do have limited service.
I just signed up for a state park spot that only had 50 and 15. I thought that odd. In Washington you can search for 15, 20, 30 and/or 50, so they apparently have some 20s in places too.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Picking up my Micro Minnie 2100BH next week. Newbie to RVing. Should I buy a variety of power cords to be prepped for different configurations at campgrounds, like 30 and 50 amp converters? The possibilities of electrical options are mind boggling. Hope the dealer will have time to explain everything! Thanks!
I'm going to assume that comes with a 30 amp service, so at a minimum you need a 15 to 30 adapter.

Personally I do not like 50 to 30 adapters because they are technically an unsafe design--having a 30 amp cord connected to a 50 amp breaker. I have bought an in-line breaker device, but have not tried it yet. I'll probably try it at that state park I just mentioned, but only use it for any time if the 15 amp doesn't work. At the time of year I'll be there I should be fine with 15 amps.

You should also consider getting a circuit/voltage tester because a lot of campsites are mis-wired and supposedly some go under voltage at times--not sure how common that is.

Finally the thing you need to know is a 30 amp service is a poor design that only exists by historical accident. It's real each to trip the main breaker in your unit (or on the pedestal) by running too many devices at once, particularly if you're running A/C and/or a water heater. Either of those with a hair dryer would probably blow the main.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone!!!
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have been to one campground in WA, Midway RV park in Centralia, that had only 50 amp service. They would provide you an adaptor if you had a 30 amp Plug.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
There are many different "dog bones" to choose from. I carry a selection with me. Never know when you will need to help a neighbor. Here are some examples:https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=rv+powe...nb_sb_ss_i_2_9
Old 09-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We bought a long sewer hose because the one that comes with the unit is very short. Also a long potable water hose (we got 50' but probably would have been fine with attaching 2 25' ft hoses together - the unit came with a 25'). We also bought a surge protector and now I'd like to get a water filter, but in the meantime I just carry my Brita with us. Some campground water tastes really bad. We picked up our RV in June and have been out (on and off) for 6 weeks. We were absolute newbies and now feel like old pros!
Old 09-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Didn’t see this one. You might want to buy a 30amp extension cord. It has come in handy when the power pedestal was way at the back of the site. My power access point on my 2012 Access is at the front of my rig
GinnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

spendy but worth it

This one ain't cheap, but you could probably find it used for about a hundred bucks on ebay:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Protect...&sr=8-5:dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I'm going to assume that comes with a 30 amp service, so at a minimum you need a 15 to 30 adapter.

Personally I do not like 50 to 30 adapters because they are technically an unsafe design--having a 30 amp cord connected to a 50 amp breaker. I have bought an in-line breaker device, but have not tried it yet. I'll probably try it at that state park I just mentioned, but only use it for any time if the 15 amp doesn't work. At the time of year I'll be there I should be fine with 15 amps.

You should also consider getting a circuit/voltage tester because a lot of campsites are mis-wired and supposedly some go under voltage at times--not sure how common that is.

Finally the thing you need to know is a 30 amp service is a poor design that only exists by historical accident. It's real each to trip the main breaker in your unit (or on the pedestal) by running too many devices at once, particularly if you're running A/C and/or a water heater. Either of those with a hair dryer would probably blow the main.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I also have a 30 amp RV. I carry a 30' 30a extension cord, a 50a-30a dogbone, a 30a-15a plug, and a 50' 12ga 15a extension cord.

For water I have a 50', 2 10' and a 5' water hose and a 15' slinky extension. I have an in-line water filter and also carry a water bandit.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormnLonnie View Post
... Some campground water tastes really bad.

For that very reason, we bring bottle water for drinking and bring two 5 gal water containers filled from our well for cooking.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Good idea! We use a Brita water jug and bring an empty bigger jug to fill it. Saves on weight while travelling!

Tags
power