Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2008, 02:51 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeeperrmartin:
On our new motorhome with the larger inverter will try the 120 volt mattress pad to see how that goes, but the 12 volt version you could shut the inverter off at night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be carefull--you may find that the Modified Sine Wave output of the standard inverter may cause the 120V heating pad to overheat or even catch fire. There was another posting recently either here or on rv.net where that happened. That would not be a problem with a True Sine Wave inverter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not limited to just heating pads as anything with a transformer or AC to DC converter could overheat and ignite on a standard inverter. Anything you run off a standard inverter needs to be tested for heating up before unattended use(while sleeping is considered unattended).
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We also boondock whenever we can. This year except when we were at our son's or home. We had electricity in a campground 4 nights out of 5 months, and one month in a resort so the wife could swim, and then she was sick and got a rash from the water. I think we should have boon docked at least she would not have gotten a rash from the chlorine.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Why hasn't anyone mentioned cuddling?? It's a great way to keep warm and fun too!!!Is everyone too old to think of that?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Finhawk:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned cuddling?? It's a great way to keep warm and fun too!!!Is everyone too old to think of that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Geez...I thought that was a normal everyday thing when your spouse is with you - I didn't realize that would have to be mentioned!!

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

For whatever reason, we camp nearly the opposite from the posts so far. The inverter does not get turned off at nite. We cannot retract the slide out because it would cover 3 of the furnace vents. I do lower the temp to somewhere between 60 and 65. I don't set much lower than that. I am not a big fan of frozen fresh water or waste tanks. The furnace diverts part of its output to blow around the tanks. Turning the heat off in freezing weather is a nearly certain way to freeze the tanks or the plumbing under the floor in our TT.

My wife doesn't care, but I can't sleep without the electric blanket on. We also have two heated "kitty cups" to keep the 3 cats from trying to sleep with us. They fit with us, but its kinda tight. That's why the inverter stays on. We need the power to keep everybody happy.

The only time I've ever had a problem with heating a product on an inverter is when I tried a modified sine wave unit. I now use exclusively pure sine wave and everything runs the same as on shore power.

The main inverter powers the entire TT. The shore power cable just plugs into the inverter. I have a couple of small inverters but don't use them much anymore. The main inverter is large enough (2,500 watts cont./4KW peak) to run anything in the TT, except the electric HW heater. It will sync with the generator to boost gen power enough to run the AC. It will run the AC without the generator, but that is kinda hard on the batts.

It's snowing here in E. Washington, so cold weather can't be far off. :-).
ATVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATVr:
.... We cannot retract the slide out because it would cover 3 of the furnace vents. ..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What make/model RV do you own?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

1996 AlumaLite 32 RCS. When extended, the vents are along the edge of the slide-out in the fixed part of the carpeted floor. When retracted, the vents are underneath the slide-out. I don't know if anything would get damaged, but the air coming out is sometimes pretty hot and confining it in the 3" clearance space under the slide doesn't seem like a good idea.
ATVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATVr:
1996 AlumaLite 32 RCS. When extended, the vents are along the edge of the slide-out in the fixed part of the carpeted floor. When retracted, the vents are underneath the slide-out. I don't know if anything would get damaged, but the air coming out is sometimes pretty hot and confining it in the 3" clearance space under the slide doesn't seem like a good idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes - restricting the vents doesn't sound like a good idea. A nice design feature of our Horizon is none of the floor furnace vents or ceiling vents are covered with slides retracted.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATVr:It's snowing here in E. Washington, so cold weather can't be far off. :-). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but to me if it's snowing it's WAY past cold!

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATVr: It's snowing here in E. Washington, so cold weather can't be far off. :-). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes!

We're taking our Motorhome & ATVs out Saturday-Tuesday, temps from 58 to a low around 22 and maybe a trace of snow in the Blue Mtns in Oregon.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

I'm a full timer relying on solar power. I never use the furnace because of it's power consumption and inefficiency. I use a Mr. Heater when I have to but I go where it's warm and sunny in the winter. I have a 7KW Onan that I exercise once a month and a 1000 watt generator that I use on cloudy days.
I have several inverters but seldom use anything other than a 75 watt RayoVac Mini Inverter. I bought 2 of them on ebay for $5.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:47 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

A large part of the enjoyment from reading this board is seeing how different folks use their Rv's and under such different conditions, Quite an inventive/adaptive bunch... ...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 AM   #33

We only “boondock” in the Rocky Mts and most time, even in the summer, it is 30* to 40* in the morning, but we use no heat during the night. We have a double sleeping bag (queen size rated 0* to 20*) from LL Bean. Had this bag for 20 years and MUCH prefer it to normal sheets & blankets. In fact we love it! So soft! So warm!

I don’t care for our RV’s Suburban furnace is it pulls in COLD outside air for several minutes after it the burner shuts off. So what’s the point? It seems very inefficient and is a monster draw on the batteries and propane! I wish some RV Mfg. Would stop putting these beasts in and save me what - $500. Such a waste!

Come to think of it I’d rather not have the air conditioner, TV antenna, half as many lights and the useless little inside shower, but they are another story. I’d opt for a bigger battery and storage compartments and leave the afore mentioned useless things out. Of course, that’s just my way.

Anyway, when we get up we use a portable p[ropane heater (Big Buddy) or such to take the chill off. It only needs to run for 30 minutes to get the coach livable.
BobCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Bob,
I don't think the cold air you refer to is coming from the outside. RV furnaces are just heat exchangers. They take the air from inside your RV and heat it and pump it back out. The furnace runs for a few minutes without the burner on so the cold air you refer to is just the cold air from inside your RV.
I think ??
Old 12-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Bob, the combustion chamber is totally separated from the trailer side of the air. The gas is burned in the heat exchanger and inside air is blown across the hot heat exchanger surface.

The operating sequence is for the blower to come on first and clear the air in the heat exchanger in case there is a gas leak. The combustion blower runs on the same shaft as does the furnace fan. The ignitor then starts to spark as the gas valve opens. The furnace check for combustion with a signal from a thermocouple. If the heater does not ignite, the furnace will recyle through another ignition cycle.

Once the room thermostat is satisfied, the gas to the furnace is shut off and the furnace will continue to run until the temperature sensor is satisfied that the temperature is low enough to shut off the air.

If the low limit switch is set too low, the air temperature can drop all the way down to the room temperature. But it will NEVER draw in cold outside air to the coach.

Ken
Old 12-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

Many RVing experts recommend leaving a window in the sleeping area slightly open to help minimize condensation on the inside walls and ceiling of the RV. If you do this, then yes, you're going to get a little cold air drawn into the RV while the blower continues to run after the burner turns off (thus, more frequent heating cycles). So it's put up with a little cold air infiltration or wet walls, personally I'll take the cold air.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote