Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What batteries get charged?

Probably like a lot of people, no camping going on at the moment, so my 2007 Sightseer 26P is sitting next to the house for a while. I have it plugged in so my house batteries stay charged, but is anybody aware if the built-in charger also keeps the engine battery charged?
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm not positive on your year and model. Many new models have a BIRD Solenoid that directs all charging to the House batteries, and once they are fully charge switches to automatically charge the Chassis battery.

I would guess you don't have such a system. To solve this problem easily most install a device called a "Trik -L-Start." They are trickle chargers that take a little bit of the charging current from your House batteries to charge your Chassis batteries.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ultra...ik-l-start.htm
Old 04-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
Just Trying to Help

Gary the Wombat-

Wiring diagrams for Winnebagos are here. Diagrams for your coach are here. There are two diagrams that show the batteries are connected:

Body, 12V Wiring Diagram
Chassis Electrical Box Assembly

The specific circuit that activates the solenoid, connecting the chassis and house battery banks, is called "LR" (see the secret decoder ring, here). If you follow that circuit through the

Automotive Wiring Diagram

you will find that the only device sending a 12V signal to "LR" in your coach is the Battery Boost Switch on the dash (see sheet 3, zone B-6). If the key is in the ignition position, the Battery Boost Switch gets 12V, passes it to "LR," and the solenoid connects the battery banks, allowing the alternator to charge the house batteries. Or, you can hold down the switch, passing house 12V to "LR," allowing you to start the engine from the house batteries.

So, "automatic" cross-charging is a one-way deal: Alternator to house. There is no Battery Isolation Manager (BIM) or similar circuit that connects the house to the chassis batteries when the house batteries are charging.

Something like the Trik-L-Start (mentioned already, link here) or Amp-L-Start (link here) is needed. There are other devices than these two that can provide the cross-charging smarts, also.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In case you're wondering, installation of the Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start is extremely easy for any DIYer who's comfortable with hooking something up to a battery.

My 18 year old original solar panel is doing a great job of keeping both my house and chassis batteries topped off with my Amp-L-Start while my two new 160W solar panels sit in their boxes in my garage.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I'm not positive on your year and model. Many new models have a BIRD Solenoid that directs all charging to the House batteries, and once they are fully charge switches to automatically charge the Chassis battery.

I would guess you don't have such a system. To solve this problem easily most install a device called a "Trik -L-Start." They are trickle chargers that take a little bit of the charging current from your House batteries to charge your Chassis batteries.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ultra...ik-l-start.htm
Right idea but there is a newer product version with higher amperage output named Amp-L-Start and is available from the same company as Trik-L-Start (LSL Products).
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
CoveredWagon

My 2005 Sightseer 29R did not charge the start batteries when plugged in. I bought a 2 amp charger and routed the wired under the steps to the start battery. When I a plugged in the charger keeps my start battery up. Cost about $20 for the charger and easy hook up.
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had a 2008 Winnebago Destination. I called Wbgo with the serial number and they told me I had the Trik-L-Start. I asked why my service battery was dropping down to 11 volts after sitting a week or two. Answer was to turn the step switch off when storing. The step switch draws more current than the Trik-L-Start can provide. When thinking about the step it is controlled by a electronic current limiting switch so there is always current to it.

Call Wbgo.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveredWagon View Post
My 2005 Sightseer 29R did not charge the start batteries when plugged in. I bought a 2 amp charger and routed the wired under the steps to the start battery. When I a plugged in the charger keeps my start battery up. Cost about $20 for the charger and easy hook up.
Good idea and a great inexpensive fix for the issue, as long as you don't forget to hook it up or don't mind taking the time to do it. It's not a great idea to keep it permanently connected. Trik-L-Start and Amp-L-Start cost more but when installed are a "no additional work necessary" solution to the issue. Personal choice. For me, spending a few more dollars and having one less thing to remember when arriving and departing is money well spent.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Right idea but there is a newer product version with higher amperage output named Amp-L-Start and is available from the same company as Trik-L-Start (LSL Products).
My understanding is that the 'Amp-L-Start is for duel starting batteries ( and now Li) and will cycle more often (and louder) than a Trik-L-Start...
I'm not sure of the OPS battery set up.
ForestF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestF View Post
My understanding is that the 'Amp-L-Start is for duel starting batteries ( and now Li) and will cycle more often (and louder) than a Trik-L-Start...
I'm not sure of the OPS battery set up.
Mine makes no noise and is not optimized for lithium batteries so I keep close watch over the system. I bought it before upgrading to lithium coach batteries. The Amp-L-Start can drain lithium batteries as it doesn't shut off the charge mode until the batteries are close to 20% SOC, based on voltage. And lead acid batteries will take charge current until the cows come home. I put a switch on the ground connection wire to shut off the device when not needed, like when I'm not plugged in to shore power. I may eventually upgrade to the lithium version of the Amp-L-Start or similar product, if available. I hope this helps.

Tags
batteries